Author Topic: Old multifix style Swiss made toolpost  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Nicolas

Old multifix style Swiss made toolpost
« on: July 26, 2023, 11:00:15 PM »
This came with my recently purchased Schaublin 102 (as a surprise, only found it once I had the lathe at home!).

Design is new to me, but I'm thinking that this could be a predecessor of the well-known multi-fix quick-change tool posts.

My guess is late 1940s (based on the box and receipts for other accessories). The 4 tool holders cost 150 Swiss Francs at the time, definitely not cheap...

Patented and made by a company called "Integral" in the French-speaking part of Switzerland.

Beautifully made, the indexing works super smoothly. 

I hope my fellow Swiss tool enthusiasts will enjoy these photos, and of course, if anyone has any information, I would love to know!

Offline Nicolas

Re: Old multifix style Swiss made toolpost
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 11:07:47 PM »
Some more photos.

(if someone could tell me how to make photos appear full-size in the post without having to click on them first, I would appreciate it!).

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 11:27:20 PM »
Zooming in on the bottom tool holder in the first photo, you can see how the indexing works. Just a simple spring ball bearing (and then the lock screw just below it).

I find it an interesting design, and one that I have never come across so far.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 11:46:27 PM »
Hello Nicolas,

That's a fine piece of Swiss precision engineering. :ThumbsUp:

How do you set the tool centre height?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 03:18:10 PM »
I haven't seen one of those before, thanks for posting.  Also curious on how the height is set.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 05:17:15 PM »
I haven't seen one of those before, thanks for posting.  Also curious on how the height is set.

I suspect that little screw on the side sets tool height
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
I believe It's this little screw that passes through the block and onto the base, that is responsible for setting height.

I'm also looking forward to testing the tool steel that came with it, the pre-made top rake is new to me, although I have seen it elsewhere before.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 10:18:14 PM »
I believe It's this little screw that passes through the block and onto the base, that is responsible for setting height.

I'm also looking forward to testing the tool steel that came with it, the pre-made top rake is new to me, although I have seen it elsewhere before.

Yes that is the screw I was referring to.    Its very nearly a "Norman Patent" post but with preset angular positions, which is much nicer.

Enjoy it!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 09:08:27 AM »
An interesting and very compact design, and a beautifully made piece of vintage kit, but so much of the functionality has to be repeated with each tool holder that, hmm - hard to express, it mildly disquiets my engineering sensibilities.

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 06:46:55 PM »
An interesting and very compact design, and a beautifully made piece of vintage kit, but so much of the functionality has to be repeated with each tool holder that, hmm - hard to express, it mildly disquiets my engineering sensibilities.

Hi Charles,

In that sense, I think it's similar to the classic QCTP, in that you set the center height once, and it saves that position each time you switch. Here it's just the whole body getting switched as opposed to just the tool holder part. I understand where you're coming from though, I'm not at all convinced by the design either. I suppose there's a reason why it is rare, I'm guessing that it failed commercially against the superior QCTP design as we know it.

Nonetheless, I'm still excited to put it to the test, but I already have my eyes out for a multifix QCTP to replace it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal