Author Topic: Squint Scale Curtiss Model K Aero I4  (Read 21243 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Squint Scale Curtiss Model K Aero I4
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2023, 08:08:46 PM »
Nice progress Ron!

Dave

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2023, 12:48:39 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2023, 02:36:48 AM »
Thanks Dave! Thanks CNR! :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »
This summer has been busy with a lot of family activities, and now a bit of recovery from a fairly routine surgical procedure. As a result, shop time and project progress has been, and will probably continue to be, a bit hit and miss (pun ignored). Instead of an update then I'm offering here a bit of historical entertainment.

This pair of videos, which I just recently came across, are interesting for the selection of still photos they contain (many of which I haven't seen elsewhere) as well some brief, early days action video clips.

I'm offering them in reverse order because this first one below (Part 3) is most relevant to the current build. At about 0:38, and again at 0:48, are the only decently clear images I've found yet of the Curtiss 4 cylinder water cooled engine installed in an airframe. These are the aircraft used by Curtiss to train the very first  U.S. Army and Navy pilots. They started out first with the 4 cylinder engines, then, with more experience, moved up to the “high speed” (~55mph!) of the V8 powered aircraft.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iJy8tvdvQc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iJy8tvdvQc</a>

This video (Part 2) covers a little earlier time frame, including the very early years of development with the AEA (Aerial Experiment Association), and  Curtiss' success in winning the inaugural Gordon Bennett Aviation cup at Rheims, France, in 1909.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VWioioYdMk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VWioioYdMk</a>

For anyone who might care to delve deeper, this Curtiss Aviation book, is available as a free download from Project Gutenberg, and covers in detail the developments and the events depicted in the videos above and a great deal more as well. Written largely by Glenn Curtiss himself, but also with chapters by a couple of those initial Army and Navy pilots, and others, I found it fascinating reading.
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=Glenn+Curtiss&submit_search=Go%21
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:33:51 PM by RReid »
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2023, 12:56:20 AM »
Finally been able to slip out to the garage and do a bit of shop work the past few days. I understand the need to not rush things after a bit of surgery, but I was getting rather bored!
The first job was to cut a pocket in the top of the cylinder heads that the future rocker tower will plug into. Since the crankcase is already drilled and tapped on the proper bolt pattern, I put it to work as a holding fixture. With two heads screwed in place and clamping screws through the other two openings, it was simple matter of cutting one pocket, then cranking over the 1.17” cylinder spacing and doing the next one.

Then I moved onto boring the spark plug wells with a 0.375” end mill and drilling through with a #28 drill.  I'll have to come back later to tap these 8-40 for the plugs I plan to use, after I actually acquire said tap. I again used the crankcase/fixture, but this time it's mounted on the tilting table, set at a 10 deg angle. Once set-up I left the table locked in place and just swapped the heads into that spot in turn.

Here you can see the rocker pocket next to the plug well, and from the other side where the sparkplug will enter into the combustion chamber.

Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2023, 02:04:23 AM »
Looks great Ron!
Nice to see you back in the shop.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2023, 02:20:09 AM »
Great progress, Ron!   :popcorn: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
I understand that "not getting much shop time thing" :)

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2023, 03:03:13 PM »
Thank you much, Dave and Kim! Nothing like a little "shop therapy", right? :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2023, 12:28:09 AM »
I got the all the rocker towers knocked out yesterday. Not difficult, just a little fiddly. By the fourth one I was a whiz at it.

Regards,
Ron

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2023, 07:51:22 AM »
Nice progress Ron - they sure are fidley  :cheers:

Per

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2023, 02:34:15 PM »
Thanks Per -  :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2023, 06:06:12 PM »
Coming along well  :praise2:  :wine1:

That's some neat work on the rocker pedestals  :)
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2023, 06:24:00 PM »
Excellent work on the rocker towers, Ron!  They look great!   :ThumbsUp::popcorn: :popcorn:
And now that you're got it dialed in, maybe you should just churn out another dozen or so just for spares and to offer up to the shop gnomes.  You just know they'd love to grab a few of those when you're not looking!  :Lol:

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2023, 08:21:13 PM »
Thank you, Roger!

Thank you, Kim! A good idea about the shop gnome fodder  :Lol:, but I've already changed the set-up. Had to cut out a brass arrow/pointer for a weather wheel requested by my granddaughter in TX. Since a trip out there is coming up soon, I needed to get on the stick!
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2023, 05:26:33 AM »
That should be a fun trip!   :ThumbsUp:
Make sure and get that brass pointer done before you go!  That's important!  ;D

Enjoy!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal