Author Topic: Hello from Wake Forest, NC  (Read 1048 times)

Offline rstreift

Hello from Wake Forest, NC
« on: June 08, 2023, 03:12:33 PM »
Hi, I’m Reed.  I grew up in a machine shop in which my grandfather started in the 1930s and my father continued in a reduced capacity to about the end of the 1960s when it officially closed.  I’ve been playing with machine tools since my grandfather figured I could be “adding” to the family business (I was punching a timecard starting when I was 7 yrs old).  I still use a Johansson mill that I remember running rollers for when it was moved, I was maybe 6 or so.  However, I ended up being a computer science engineer/architect for a living after working my way through school doing the one-man machinist shop route.  Doing that I learnt didn’t have what it takes to run a machine shop for a living. 😊 Kudos to those that do.

I’m more of a lurker on these forums, HSM/PM, but have added some content on occasion. I joined this one looking for an appropriate place to put a build log for a PMR #4 I recently completed.  Not sure the world _needs_ another PMR#4 build log, but I took pictures and kept notes.  There are a couple of other models I’ve built, but excepting the Quorn (which one can debate as to whether it is a “model”), this is about the heaviest one.

Thanks,  - Reed

Online tghs

Re: Hello from Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 03:24:04 PM »
welcome to the group, I'm just west of you.. (close to where 98 and 50 cross)
what the @#&% over

Offline rstreift

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 04:46:07 PM »
We are close, I'm near where Stony Hill crosses 98. 

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 05:48:31 PM »
Hi Reed!
Welcome to MEM!

The world ALWAYS needs another build log of whatever you're building. :)

Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 10:54:49 PM »
Welcome!

Dave

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »
Welcome along Reed.  The forum has quite an interest among members in tools and tooling projects as well as the engine side of model engineering.  I've just put up pictures and details of my own very protracted build of a Quorn grinder, I would welcome seeing your Quorn if you have pictures.   Dave

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 06:50:41 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline rstreift

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 07:29:37 PM »
Thanks all.
About the Quorn.  It sits gathering dust and was used very little.  Shortly after is was operational, I came into a Delta TC&G with many of the accessories.  I never got around to painting it either. :-(   Prolly not though, as although I'm now retired, there is so much to do now.   amen . . .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal