Author Topic: Inside / Outside  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Davyboy

• Merrill, Wisconsin, USA
Inside / Outside
« on: June 04, 2023, 02:13:10 AM »
I’m trying to get some stuff together for the August expo in Baraboo, Wisconsin.  Building some finger engines to sell, maybe, to defray some of my costs for the weekend.  Oops! My flywheel blanks (2 different sizes) fit the outside of the angle iron frames.  Interference with the base plates.  Smaller size needs turned OD about .060”, and relieve corner radius of angle iron with a flycutter.  Bigger size is no go.  Don’t want to make new flywheels.
Solution for #2:  mill the ears off the base and turn them inside so they don’t interfere with the flywheels.  If the parts don’t match the print, change the print. (Old machinist humor).  Hopefully I can get them to match up so the seam will be minimal.  Will post pics when this comes together.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 02:20:33 AM by Davyboy »

Offline Davyboy

Re: Inside / Outside
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 02:19:06 AM »
Hoping the mismatch on the OD turning goes away under the paint, sometimes the painter is my best friend. "Go heavy on the  primer, buddy."

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 10:39:56 PM »
So I got the two finger engines painted and assembled.  The front view shows how the clearance issues were close.  The only other "wish I would'a", is to use Delrin in the main crank bearings instead of the brass bushings that I used.  I've got 6 feet of delrin rod in the rack, I must be saving it for something important :Doh:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 11:06:17 PM »
Back in my software days, the saying was That's  Not A Bug, It's  A Feature!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal