Author Topic: Advice request, castind set worth?  (Read 437 times)

Offline PJPickard

Advice request, castind set worth?
« on: June 02, 2023, 11:17:11 PM »
Our club has it's spring meet tomorrow and I am thinking of selling my set of Paul Breisch Cretors engine castings. It is partially built by me, probably only 20% of the work is done, maybe less.

I looked around online and it seems all the sites make you pay to see values of auctions. Ebay completed didn't turn up any either.

Anyone want to take a crack at a possible value?

Thanks!
Paul

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Advice request, casting set worth?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 07:22:10 AM »
My rule of thumb for the value of a set of second hand castings: The price you pay for a new set of castings is normally about twice what it cost the supplier to get them cast. For that reason I look to pay half the new price but much less than the supplier's retail price.

A started set of castings is difficult to value because it depends on why the build was abandoned and the seller will always claim something innocent even if the truth is far from it (i.e. they  :censored: one up ).  Even if you get your hands on a casting set it is often difficult to see where the "feature" has been added. For this reason a virgin set of castings is worth more than a started set.

The final part of the valuation is rarity. If the casting set is 50 years old and impossible to get then there are a few people with deep pockets who will pay a fortune for it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal