Author Topic: Hello from Danvers, MA  (Read 1262 times)

Offline legokid900

Hello from Danvers, MA
« on: May 26, 2023, 12:32:14 PM »
Hi All! My name is Hayden and I have recently moved into a space with enough room for something larger than a bench drill press! I've been operating small scale steam locomotives for a little over 10 years now and now that I have the space I want to acquire the skills and tools to make one from scratch.

I have acquired a 42x9 Enco mill and a 12x36 Clausing 5914 lathe and they are currently in pieces in my basement ready to be reassembled. Both machines came with quite a bit of tooling. I also have an Enco 24" 3-in-1 metal former that somehow made it down in one piece.

Who knew how fun it could be to move ~5000lbs of cast iron into a basement!

Offline 55fairlane

Re: Hello from Danvers, MA
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 12:50:59 PM »
Hi Hayden, 

I'm also a new kid around here. Welcome to the forum!
Imagination is much more important than knowledge

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 02:34:04 PM »
Welcome Haydon   I'm in central Mass.   I assume you are familiar with the Washakum Live Steamers?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 05:35:17 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 06:20:06 PM »
Hi Hayden!
Welcome to the group!  Glad to have you aboard!  :cheers:

Sounds like you've got some nice machines!  Looking forward to seeing some pics of your shop and the stuff you'll be working on.  What loco will be your first project? :)

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 08:45:21 PM »
Hello Hayden, and welcome!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 11:49:18 PM »
Hi Hayden,  Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline legokid900

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 01:51:22 PM »
Hi Hayden!
Welcome to the group!  Glad to have you aboard!  :cheers:

Sounds like you've got some nice machines!  Looking forward to seeing some pics of your shop and the stuff you'll be working on.  What loco will be your first project? :)

Kim

Hey it's Kim! :NotWorthy:

Thank you! I'm still working on the reassembly but the head is on the mill and the lathe bed is on the legs. Slow going with a kid and all.  :help:

The first project on the list is a 3.5" gauge Kozo A3. Your huge write up on the project is what lead me to this forum! Some others on the list are a 3.5" gauge Lucky 7, 5" or 3.5" NYC 2-4-4T, and a Kozo K27. I should be good for my lifetime...

Here's a picture of my introduction to the hobby. I've been running the loco for a little over 10 years now. The 56(!) year old copper boiler is on it's last legs though. Great runner, burns anthracite while pulling a good train.

Or at least I tried to add a picture...

- Hayden
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 02:00:50 PM by legokid900 »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 03:32:03 PM »
Thats a beauty of an engine!   :ThumbsUp:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 05:53:28 PM »
Wow Hayden! That's a nice-looking loco!  I take it that you didn't build this one (since it's 56 years old? :)).  How'd you come by it?

And just guessing by your handle that you are into Lego?  Me too!  I've got quite a large collection of it.  I used to be WAY more into it. Was part of one of the original LTCs (Lego Train Clubs) and used to show our ever-changing train layout at various events. That was a great hobby to share with my kids as they were growing up.  And while I still love lego, I'm looking more at downsizing my Lego collection now.

Does seem like you have a good list of projects there! And it's funny how that list just continues to grow  ;)
Looking forward to following your builds!

Kim

Offline legokid900

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 09:15:53 PM »
Welcome Haydon   I'm in central Mass.   I assume you are familiar with the Washakum Live Steamers?

Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm very familiar with Washakum! My grandfather and I used to go to quite a few meets before we started building our own railroad.

Offline legokid900

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 09:29:30 PM »
Wow Hayden! That's a nice-looking loco!  I take it that you didn't build this one (since it's 56 years old? :)).  How'd you come by it?

And just guessing by your handle that you are into Lego?  Me too!  I've got quite a large collection of it.  I used to be WAY more into it. Was part of one of the original LTCs (Lego Train Clubs) and used to show our ever-changing train layout at various events. That was a great hobby to share with my kids as they were growing up.  And while I still love lego, I'm looking more at downsizing my Lego collection now.

Does seem like you have a good list of projects there! And it's funny how that list just continues to grow  ;)
Looking forward to following your builds!

Kim

I definitely did not build it ;D It was built up in Canada by a guy named Jim Turnbull. In his lifetime, I'm pretty sure he was able to build 36 locos! It made it's way around New England and it was eventually sold to us by a guy we met at Washakum Live Steamers. I don't know how many other hands it passed through but it spent quite a bit of time at Pioneer Valley Live Steamers.

I used to be very much into Lego and the handle goes all the way back to middle school. My main interest back then was making vacuum powered stationary "steam" engines.

The project list never stops!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal