Author Topic: Hello Everyone from Magnolia, TX  (Read 1101 times)

Offline sennis75

Hello Everyone from Magnolia, TX
« on: May 16, 2023, 01:21:48 PM »
Hello Everyone from Magnolia, TX. I'm a scratch build modeler. Most of my modeling work is built using brass stock. I'm also into making waterslide decals,
I have an old trusty Alps MD-1000 that's still cranking them out.
I've joined the forum to expand my knowledge on working with brass, specifically tips on drilling tiny holes in round stock. If interested, I can include some pictures of my work.
-Thanks for having me.
StevenE

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Hello Everyone from Magnolia, TX
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 03:44:43 PM »
Hello Steven, and welcome to MEM. What sorts of models do you like to scratchbuild? Certainly some pictures are of interest and welcomed.
Regards,
Ron

Offline sennis75

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 04:07:23 PM »
Attached is a few pictures of a scaled down 1950's Western Auto Outboard Caddy I recently built.
It was made using brass tubing, solid-round and flat-bar.
All joints were silver soldered for strength and hardware (brass m1.2 hex bolts, nuts and washers)  was added after etch-prime & paint.
The caddy was made to display a K&O toy outboard motor from the early 1950's.

I was looking into doing something original and from the same time period. I saw this caddy cart
at an old Marina on the gulf coast and bells started ringing.

I made a very small jig to fabricate the s-hooks for the chain.

The gas tank was made using a reshaped plastic project box, ground hex screw and 1/8" brass c-channel.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:19:19 PM by sennis75 »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 05:05:06 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

That's an interesting prototype  :) and a fine model  :)

I have worked down to 0.2mm (8 thou) holes in brass.
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 05:43:06 PM »
Hi Steven, and welcome to MEM!

That's a really neat little model you made there!   :ThumbsUp:
What size is it? it looks pretty small...

Kim

Offline sennis75

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 06:10:36 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, it stands approx. 7-1/2" tall and 3-1/8" wide.

Offline sennis75

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 06:26:36 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

That's an interesting prototype  :) and a fine model  :)

I have worked down to 0.2mm (8 thou) holes in brass.

I'd like to pick your brain sir.

If you're willing to share I'd like to get some direction in drilling small holes in brass round stock.
I'm having quite a time drilling 1/32" holes in 1/16" diameter brass bar.
These are very small hitch pins I'm making for a project build (pictured).

Currently the only method I've mustered is making a very small pocket using a diamond round bit so
my 1/32" doesn't walk on me (as much  :Lol:).

Also I'd like to ask you about small bits in general. What's the best manufacture you've found for working with brass?

Thanks in advance for any info  :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 07:16:35 PM »
Before starting any twist drill, I always use a center drill or spotting drill to make the initial dimple for the twist drill to start in without walking around on the surface. A center drill is much larger diameter so it is rigid, and can't flex like a small twist drill will (and over time, you'll find that a 1/32" drill can seem like a large one, after working with even smaller ones for a while! ).  This does the same thing that you figured out with the diamond bit. The center drills come in a variety of diameters, I like using one of the larger ones since they are more rigid - pick the largest one that will fit in your drill chuck.

Some people will recommend changing the angle on the tip of the drill for brass - I've never seen the need to.

If doing deep holes (anything more than 3/16" or 1/4"), back the drill out frequently to clear chips or they tend to get stuck in the flutes, which both heats up the drill and possibly ruin the hardness, also can break the smaller ones. After a while you'll be able to hear the difference when the chips get stuck - with very small drills it is does not take long at all. A drop of oil on the bit or in the hole can help a lot on deeper holes. For aluminum, it is even more important to use some oil, or the chips will weld themselves onto the bit.
Chris
 :cheers:

Offline sennis75

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 07:54:29 PM »
Makes since haha, thanks Chris for the info and it's crazy I actually had these on hand.

You said: If doing deep holes (anything more than 3/16" or 1/4"), back the drill out frequently to clear chips or they tend to get stuck in the flutes, which both heats up the drill and possibly ruin the hardness, also can break the smaller ones. After a while you'll be able to hear the difference when the chips get stuck - with very small drills it is does not take long at all. A drop of oil on the bit or in the hole can help a lot on deeper holes. For aluminum, it is even more important to use some oil, or the chips will weld themselves onto the bit.

I've already learned this the hard way, which of course is the best way to learn.

I'm 47 years old and Network Admin by trade. I've always been into restoring and fixing things.  I learned to solder as a teen repairing "Hi-Fi" VCR's.
A few years ago I stumbled on making the small stuff (I was helping my daughter with a diorama project for school) and I heard that voice in my head say "This is it, son".

She made a 100 and it's still displayed on the shelf in that teacher's room.

I plan to make a small scale steam engine soon, one from the old books.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 08:01:31 PM by sennis75 »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 10:14:31 PM »
I get kind of Nostalgic looking at your pictures and I would love to get my hands on one of these engines – but the prices  ….  :hammerbash:

The only thing making almost completely irresistible would be a tiny Johnson 5.5HP from my youth (sailed with the full sized version back then) + the Red Gas-Tank  :Love:

Oh, and welcome      :cheers:

Per

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 08:40:31 AM »

If you're willing to share I'd like to get some direction in drilling small holes in brass round stock.

Currently the only method I've mustered is making a very small pocket using a diamond round bit so

Also I'd like to ask you about small bits in general. What's the best manufacture you've found for working with brass?

A few thoughts on small holes in brass:

Lubricant does not always help, at very small sizes it can cause the chips to stick in the flutes.

High speed helps.

Withdraw the drill frequently and brush the chips off with an old toothbrush or similar.

Short pattern drills are useful.

For drilling you hitch pins I would make a jig from a piece of flat or square with a 1/16th hole for the pin and a 1/32nd cross hole to guide the drill.

Most of my small holes are drilled with Proxxon short pattern drills. These go down to 0.3mm. For smaller sizes I have used Titex.

https://proxxon-us-shop.com/products/hss-twist-drill-set?_pos=1

For normal drilling I use a Proxxon TBM220 which has a good speed range and sensitive feel.

https://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38128.php

I hope this is of help. Please feel free to ask further questions.
Best regards

Roger

Offline sennis75

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »

A few thoughts on small holes in brass:

Lubricant does not always help, at very small sizes it can cause the chips to stick in the flutes.

High speed helps.

Withdraw the drill frequently and brush the chips off with an old toothbrush or similar.

Short pattern drills are useful.

For drilling you hitch pins I would make a jig from a piece of flat or square with a 1/16th hole for the pin and a 1/32nd cross hole to guide the drill.

Most of my small holes are drilled with Proxxon short pattern drills. These go down to 0.3mm. For smaller sizes I have used Titex.

https://proxxon-us-shop.com/products/hss-twist-drill-set?_pos=1

For normal drilling I use a Proxxon TBM220 which has a good speed range and sensitive feel.

https://www.proxxon.com/us/micromot/38128.php

I hope this is of help. Please feel free to ask further questions.

I'm going to make a jig, appreciate all the good information Roger :ThumbsUp:

I'm using an older model series-H Foredom with a drill press kit. The handpiece will accept 0-5/32″ and has good depth control.

Everything is securely mounted and the setup is very solid and precise (*after needed modifications).

I just have no way to set speeds (foot control only.)

I know they make desktop dial speed control, curious if there's a reliable digital/lcd display controller out there.

-StevenE

« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 05:10:21 PM by sennis75 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal