Author Topic: Stuart Triple  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Stuart Triple
« on: April 11, 2023, 06:26:53 PM »
But not what you were thinking when you saw the title ;)

While I was taking the photos of the recently completed Stuart Progress SH replica I thought I would take a quick group shot and video of the three Stuart replicas. They have all been quite enjoyable quick builds fitted in between larger projects and are all good runners.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iujlGem2S8Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iujlGem2S8Q</a>

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
Re: Stuart Triple
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 07:01:29 PM »
A nice picture to see all three.
Might add Stuart to their catalogue. But I think the models are no longer on offer there?

Michael

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 07:18:04 PM »
They are all long out of production, The Progress stopped around 1946, the Simplex around 1928 and the One-One I think went until the late 30s

The S50 is very similar in layout to the progress so may not be worth them adding it but I think the Simplex would be more popular.

Offline Djangodog

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 08:56:48 PM »
You are right.  Not what I expected, but not disappointed either.  Very nice.  I would love to see Stewart bring back a pre-war 10H and 10V, (miniature #9 and miniature #1). 

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 07:47:23 AM »
Thanks, Yest there are a few subjects it would be nice to see come back. I did do a vertical that would be the size of the early No7 which has the same standard and brace as the No1 and that could be made smaller to look like a 10 vertical before they went to the A frame/trunk guides standard

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 09:21:14 AM »
The Simplex has a smaller dia flywheel, but wider than the others. My tiny mind is having difficulty grasping the fact that it runs as well as the other two. I always thought that a flywheel needed to have dia to give it rotational mass. Does the Simplex have a different rev range?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 09:44:02 AM »
I was a bit surprised at how well it ran at slow speeds as it was designed and sold as a high speed engine mainly for use in pond boats where you would have set the engine to run at full speed and let go at one edge of the pond and raced to the other side.

http://stuartturnersteam.com/Marine/simplex/simplex.html

Even on low 5psi air pressure if I open up the flow regulator it gets to almost 2000rpm and would no doubt go faster on flash steam (tacko reading at end of video) Also works by just blowing into it though I can't manage the 2000rpm that way :-[

I'll have a look in Alibre and see how the two flywheels compare as they are both similar bore and stroke and report back

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxsC5VWmnQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxsC5VWmnQ</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_m6HZJLzeg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_m6HZJLzeg</a>

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 12:07:09 PM »
Hi Jason, do you share your plans for these engines?

I've got a Stuart beam engine I'm about to start work on but I wouldn't mind a go at building one of your replicas once the beam is finished.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 01:05:32 PM »
I've not produced a set of 2D working drawings for any of them, The Simplex I have made a start on the drawings as I was thinking of writing the build of that up for ME Mag hence why I did not post a build thread here. But if you want to be guinea pig like you were for the Muncaster I'll e-mail you when the drawings are complete. What I have drawn up so far has options for manual as well as CNC which I did use on a few parts and there is no soldering required.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 01:35:08 PM »
I've just run the progress and simplex flywheels through Alibres analysis and the resulats are

Progress with it's 63mm dia cut from iron flywheel has a moment of inertia of 57mm2kg

Simplex with it's 39mm dia cut from steel flywheel has a moment of inertia of 25mm2kg

Yet both will tick over nicely at slow revs yet can be thrashed and remain quire stable, the top heavy nature of the simplex is probably what sees it starting to move about a bit more as the revs get high.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »
Hi Jason,

Yea I'd be happy to have a go at building one if you happy to share the drawings. I enjoyed building the Muncaster and still give it a run on the hot stuff now and again, it's a great little runner  :)

I've just ordered loads of new tooling once it's all arrived I intend to start the beam engine build.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 12:11:40 PM »
Hi Jason, a very nice little group of engines, nicely presented.

Always interesting to see the figures for inertia of more flywheels, and how the engines run with each.

I wonder if the high speed part of the description is about its intended running speed under load with its shorter stroke, and not related to slow running capability.  I think that slow running performance is a real testament to your build quality.  The blow test is very demanding in this regard.  Perhaps you play the bagpipes or an oboe for training.

With double acting engines, there is really only a very small amount of rotation where the torque is zero or negative, so a very low inertia flywheel would be expected to be adequate to keep any of them running, especially as you have demonstrated the friction is very low.  Itís possible the crank disk alone would be enough.  The fact that the flywheels are considerably larger than the minimum for running means there will be very small speed fluctuation within each revolution.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline samc88

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 08:39:24 PM »
Very nice! I really enjoy the build threads. Out of interest what is the green paint that you use?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 08:45:54 PM »
Thanks, It's Ford "Forrest Green" - Halfords spray can.

Offline samc88

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 09:32:19 PM »
Thanks Jason, I'll have a look at getting some, looks like just the colour I need for a couple of projects

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal