Author Topic: Getting the shop out of your clothes!  (Read 384 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Getting the shop out of your clothes!
« on: April 15, 2023, 03:40:02 PM »
OK my request for help regarding eyeglasses went so well, I want to ask a similar question about washing machines! 

Our 30 year old GE has finally gone to her maker....I did a complete rebuild of her when we got her used including a transmission pump the works, but ..I believe the control clock has failed, we've gotten 25 years of good service out of her and that particular part is no longer available.....

We did that because the "high efficiency" washers of the past 20 years have ...in  a word.....sucked at cleaning dirt and allergens.    ( Allergies are rampant in our house and we need 130 F water for the elimination of some allergens)

That excluded just about every washer on the market.....till now...

Speedqueen has 2 that we are interested in, specifically, the TC5 and the TR7 models

We are leaning towards the TR7 but wanted to get some feedback ...and was wondering if anyone on the forum had either one of these.

Specifically we want NO hot water restrictions   ( I run my hot water heater at 140F....)   and I've been doing that for over 20 years.....

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
Re: Getting the shop out of your clothes!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »
Do not have any experience with the TC5 or TR7 models but bought an AWN series in 2016 after a long succession of starter models from all the major brands. It is one of their semi-commercial model top loaders also sold with a coin-op option for apartment use. We also run our hot water heater at the high end. It has been fairly robust, and the cast iron gearbox gives it some extra heft to keep it planted in place with out of balance loads. Non-digital (they were just joining the digital age with one model), it had the old fashion timer/relay. However, I did just have to replace the shaft seal and drum bearing last September, which I though was a little premature. Never had to do that with any of the cheaper models, something else usually gave up first. It was easily rebuildable, other than working down in a drum, and all the parts one would want were readily available. So maybe just bad luck?

-Doug

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal