Author Topic: Renovating my Cowells 90ME Lathe  (Read 5738 times)

Offline simplyloco

Renovating my Cowells 90ME Lathe
« on: April 05, 2023, 05:01:06 PM »
 I bought an oldish Cowells lathe last year to use when I land up in my armchair, and I'm at the early stages of turning it into something presentable. I've ordered a set of modern switches, and made new pulleys to increase the speed to a more respectable 1300 odd rpm, but the big improvement in my book is the new finish. It's powder coated, textured satin black, on a high build epoxy primer, and I hope you agree with me that it looks very good! I much prefer it to the Hammerite Smooth Blue... :NotWorthy:
A few pics.

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Renovating my Cowells 90ME Lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 05:10:44 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

A small lathe you can reach when sitting and be close enough see small things is a great asset  :)
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
A beautiful little lathe there!  Well done!  :ThumbsUp:
It will be a joy to use :)

Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 06:06:03 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this come together and making swarf again  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 12:22:37 PM »
Looking good.

What other improvements are you going to carry out?  I fitted DRO's to mine.

Colin

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 05:47:33 PM »
Waiting on the new switches before I re-install the motor and start making (small) swarf!
Well pleased with the result: it looks almost new!

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 08:26:40 PM »
Looking good.

What other improvements are you going to carry out?  I fitted DRO's to mine.

Colin
I'm currently converting the tailstock to lever action. I fitted one to my Emco V10P some years ago and never regretted it.

Offline flying fox

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 07:33:14 AM »
All good things come out of Norwich, A Fine City!
Regards
Brian B

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 05:07:52 PM »
If you aren't already too far along on the job for it to be of help, I could provide you with detail photos and dimensions of the lever tailstock feed arrangement on the CW90 version.

I've also developed a design for a quick-release half-nut for carriage traverse, if that would be of interest.  The design has been made and test-installed on my CW90 and works well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 08:23:37 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 07:19:09 PM »
I could provide you with detail photos and dimensions of the lever tailstock feed arrangement on the CW90 version.

I've also developed a design for a quick-release half-nut for carriage traverse, if that's interest.  The design has been made and test-installed on my CW90 and works well.

Yes please, we all would appreciate those  ;D

Jo

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 08:21:50 PM »
Yes please, we all would appreciate those  ;D
Jo

I'll do that, once I refresh my memory as to where I left off drawing and photo-wise with the half-nut.  Once I have some publishable images I'll start it in a new thread.
The half-nut itself involves no modification of the cross-slide, and none to the machine if already equipped with a leadscrew.  My CW90 wasn't originally equipped with a leadscrew, or reversing gear, so I modified the bed to accommodate my new leadscrew.  The modification involved drilling and reaming the holes in the RH leadscrew bracket and the headstock-end gearbox cavity.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 08:30:03 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Offline JimG

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2023, 08:42:50 AM »
Now that we are discussing modifications to the ME90,  has anyone ever fitted a carriage lock?   I've been doing some heavy-ish work on mild steel with a HSS tool with a fair bit of top rake and I found that the tool was being pulled into the work when facing across the work,  giving me quite a concave cut.   I suspected that this was being caused by the carriage moving with the play on the leadscrew.  It could also have been movement of the top slide as well.   This was causing me a fair bit of difficulty facing to a precise dimension.

I've thought about replacing the centre gib adjusting screws on both the carriage and topslide with cap screws and using them to apply locks when cutting.  Any thoughts?

Jim.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2023, 09:07:33 AM »
Now that we are discussing modifications to the ME90,  has anyone ever fitted a carriage lock?   I've been doing some heavy-ish work on mild steel with a HSS tool with a fair bit of top rake and I found that the tool was being pulled into the work when facing across the work,  giving me quite a concave cut.   I suspected that this was being caused by the carriage moving with the play on the leadscrew.  It could also have been movement of the top slide as well.   This was causing me a fair bit of difficulty facing to a precise dimension.

I've thought about replacing the centre gib adjusting screws on both the carriage and topslide with cap screws and using them to apply locks when cutting.  Any thoughts?

Jim.

Hi Jim
If you look at the first picture in my last post you will see a small hole in the saddle directly above the tee slot in the bed. This takes a screw and nut which locks the saddle. It may have been put there by the previous owner, but it works!
Regards
John

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2023, 09:13:28 AM »
If you aren't already too far along on the job for it to be of help, I could provide you with detail photos and dimensions of the lever tailstock feed arrangement on the CW90 version.
SNIP
Hi Harry. I've already started the conversion.
I look forward to seeing your designs!
Regards
John

Offline JimG

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2023, 11:15:51 AM »

Hi Jim
If you look at the first picture in my last post you will see a small hole in the saddle directly above the tee slot in the bed. This takes a screw and nut which locks the saddle. It may have been put there by the previous owner, but it works!

John,

I've got the same hole on my saddle and it was put there by Cowells.  :)   I've always assumed it was for a swarf guard since I have a similar hole in the same place on my Myford saddle which is used to hold a swarf guard.   The hole looks to be threaded so I'll find a cap screw for it and try it out.  It should work and it would avoid messing around with gib screws.   But I'll probably have to replace a gib screw to lock the topslide.

Jim.

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2023, 01:32:27 PM »
Hi Harry. I've already started the conversion.  I look forward to seeing your designs!
Regards
John
I found my sketches (Cad) last night and those need to be revised to "as-built", but at the moment my plate is piled high (Spring chores.)  I'll begin a new thread as soon as I have my material organized.

Jim, . . . The CW90 has a threaded hole on the back side of the saddle and is furnished with a clamp lever which impinges on the gib to clamp the carriage.  If the ME90 has the same hole, fitting a clamping screw or lever there would be a simple fix.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 01:46:35 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Offline michaelr

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2023, 04:22:28 PM »

Hi Jim

John,

I've got the same hole on my saddle and it was put there by Cowells.  :)   I've always assumed it was for a swarf guard since I have a similar hole in the same place on my Myford saddle which is used to hold a swarf guard.   The hole looks to be threaded so I'll find a cap screw for it and try it out.  It should work and it would avoid messing around with gib screws.   But I'll probably have to replace a gib screw to lock the topslide.

Jim.
A long time ago I had the Perris lathe the hole in the saddle was used to fix a traveling steady, probably for the same use on the Cowell.
MichaelR

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2023, 06:24:24 PM »
Ta Daa! A Lever Tailstock!

A good days work. It's not perfect, but it works!
John

Short stroke

Long Stroke!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:25:41 PM by simplyloco »

Offline flying fox

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2023, 07:36:19 AM »
Well done, neat but not gaudy.
Regards
Brian B

Offline JimG

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2023, 08:44:19 AM »
I do like the long travel having just done a job where the travel of the screw fed barrel was just not enough.  :)

Jim.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2023, 04:37:22 PM »
DO I CHANGE THE COVER COLOUR?
I've cleaned up the grubby cover, and it doesn't look too bad, but I have some lovely two pack Satin Anthracite paint left over from one of my models and it would look quite Darth Vaderish with a nice close match...😈
I've also shortened the lever on the tailstock and stuck a piece of nylon on the end, and also got rid of the horrible huge nut which held the toolpost down and replaced it with something a little more elegant!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2023, 05:12:54 PM »
The cover does look pretty good. Definitely do as you please, you're the one who's going to be using it.  You want it to be something that makes you happy!

But, since you asked, I think I'd lean toward painting it to make it more closely match the rest of the rebuilt lathe.

Of course, the best finish will be the one that makes you feel good about using it!

Kim

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2023, 05:58:21 PM »
Nicely done John.  Here FYI is Mssrs Cowells version.  It has a relatively short stroke as you can see from the pivot arm length.

As for the cover . . . if it were mine I would paint it, HOWEVER . . being plastic (or something other than metal) I'd also expect it to show wear and chip more easily than metal.  In the end, make yourself happy.
Cheers,
Harry

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2023, 10:47:17 PM »
Nicely done John.  Here FYI is Mssrs Cowells version.  It has a relatively short stroke as you can see from the pivot arm length.

As for the cover . . . if it were mine I would paint it, HOWEVER . . being plastic (or something other than metal) I'd also expect it to show wear and chip more easily than metal.  In the end, make yourself happy.

Hi Harry. Yes, I saw the short stroke on the original and I thought "I can't have that" and adjusted it. Why didn't the manufacturer do the same?
Yes, I''ll paint it the Anthracite colour, but take it off and store it until I want to sell it!
Thanks for your inputs.
Cheers
John

Online Twizseven

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 12:17:07 PM »
michaelr is correct.  The tapped hole is for the fixing screw for the travelling steady.

I do like that lever tailstock.  The short movement of the standard one can be a pain sometimes.

Colin

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 03:13:04 PM »
Well, I gave it a couple of coats of 2 pack Anthracite. It looks nice enough, but it is just too grey, but I have some satin black somewhere!
However, it can wait as I have other things to do... :LittleDevil:

Offline JimG

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2023, 04:10:42 PM »
It'll be a shame to get it covered in swarf and cutting oil.  :) :) :)

Jim.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 05:21:37 PM »
It'll be a shame to get it covered in swarf and cutting oil.  :) :) :)

Jim.

Who said anything about using it?  :hammerbash: :shrug: :lolb:
BTW I found the satin black paint! I'm quite happy with it now. :praise2:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2023, 06:09:47 PM »
That does look really good!  You'll have a great time using that lathe now!  Or maybe just, admiring it!  :Lol:

Kim

Online Twizseven

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2023, 09:21:48 AM »
The satin black really sets it off.
Colin

Offline Admiral_dk

• Sψften - Denmark
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2023, 07:15:29 PM »
Beautiful restoration  :praise2:

If you're not goint to use it - will it get a DisplayCase to reside in  ;)

Per

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2023, 07:27:37 PM »

He'll sell it  ::)

Jo

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2023, 08:27:18 PM »

He'll sell it  ::)

Jo

Oh no he won't ! :Director:

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2023, 04:43:54 PM »
Fitting the New Switches

The kit arrived today from Cowells so I couldn't resist getting on with it! This is what you get for 60 quid...

Wiring the new bits. The diagram was so clear even I could follow it!

Fitted and working.
Well Chuffed.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 04:58:19 PM by simplyloco »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2023, 05:03:59 PM »
 :) :) :) :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Online Twizseven

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2023, 05:13:39 PM »
That looks very nice.

Did this originally have the push buttons, or have you upgraded from the single forward/reverse on/off switch.  If so was it an easy upgrade.

Colin

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2023, 05:18:14 PM »
That looks very nice.

Did this originally have the push buttons, or have you upgraded from the single forward/reverse on/off switch.  If so was it an easy upgrade.

Colin

Hi Colin. It was an easy upgrade from the single switch, about a morning's work once I had sussed out the wiring diagram!
John

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2023, 05:50:01 PM »
Great work, John!  Looks quite professional  :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2023, 06:37:23 PM »
The modern style switches does make it look like a much later machine  :)

Jo

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2023, 09:43:45 PM »
ADAPTING A COMMERCIAL ER16 COLLET CHUCK
There are just two projects on my 'improvement' agenda. An ER16 collet chuck and a quick change toolpost. Today I finished the first one, and very happy I am too!
The idea was to use a cheapie Chinese chuck and make it run accurately on the Cowells spindle. The only way to do this was screwcut/tap a M14x1.5 thread in the chuck , and mount the chuck on the lathe spindle and check for runout. In this case the runout was awful so I set about correcting the error.
A few pics. Note the new calibrated dials...  :LittleAngel:

I set a dummy in the Cowells 3 jaw and set the compound slide angle to 8 degrees. After a few iterations/ adjustments I got the engineers' blue to sit just right so went ahead with the real thing.

Just a few light cuts and the job was done.

The TIR is less than 0.0006", so I'm well happy!I shortened the chuck as much as I dared to reduce the overhang.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Sψften - Denmark
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2023, 10:00:08 AM »
Dials looks great and you are going to be happy about improvement of the Collet-Holder for years to come  :cartwheel:    :cheers:

Per

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2023, 05:08:11 PM »
Dials looks great and you are going to be happy about improvement of the Collet-Holder for years to come  :cartwheel:    :cheers:

Per

Thanks Per. This QCTP that I made today is going to help things along a bit too! It's a straight copy of the Cowells offering, except that I've made it extend a little so that I can swing the holder if I have large tools in it. I'll make a batch of holders , together with the knurled thingumigigs that set the height.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 05:12:03 PM by simplyloco »

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2023, 05:21:33 PM »
A proper thingumijig!

Three little feti just waiting to be born!

This is the Cowells offering. With two holders, £178.00! With four holders. £271.00!!!!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 05:49:49 PM by simplyloco »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2023, 06:24:10 PM »
Yikes!  They're pretty proud of those, aren't they?  :o  I like the ones YOU made!  They look like they'll do the job nicely!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2023, 05:22:08 PM »
Yikes!  They're pretty proud of those, aren't they?  :o  I like the ones YOU made!  They look like they'll do the job nicely!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Thanks Kim. I like mine: well chuffed!

Four little doves and their mother...
Completed, set to height and working fine. The four way toolpost has its place, and is very handy, but can be a real pain as it doesn't self index like the QCTP.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2023, 01:36:20 AM »
Nice addition love the holders. :Love:

Don

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2023, 08:01:38 PM »
John,
I haven't forgotten I promised to post dwgs and info on my half-nut conversion, and will when the glut of Spring chores has subsided.  Here's a schematic of the job.

Fixed half-nut on the right, movable half-nut on the left, running on 1/8" rod "ways" fixed in the fixed side.  The fixed nut is screwed to the underside of the carriage in existing holes.  Movable half-nut is threaded, fixed side is smooth (drilled and reamed) to match the leadscrew OD.  The two nuts are connected by a sprung pin which is arranged to be normally closed (engaged), momentarily open.  Full details in time, on a new thread.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 02:00:37 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
Harry

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2023, 08:37:50 AM »
John,
I haven't forgotten I promised to post dwgs and info on my half-nut conversion, and will when the glut of Spring chores has subsided.  Here's a schematic of the job.
SNIP

Thanks, I'll look forward to your post.
John

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2023, 08:41:48 AM »
Hi John,
 Nice looking QCTP…… but only 4 tool holders? You can never have enough……..

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2023, 11:44:00 AM »
A quick update.
I don't have the Cowells lathe anymore. It's gone to a good home!
Before anyone asks how much I got for it: I gave it away to a friend who needed it more than I did...
Cheers
John

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2023, 12:21:31 PM »
Before anyone asks how much I got for it: I gave it away to a friend who needed it more than I did...

And lets guess the friend felt the need to provide you with a fist full of holiday tokens  ::)

Jo

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2023, 12:33:24 PM »

And lets guess the friend felt the need to provide you with a fist full of holiday tokens  ::)

Jo

You guessed wrongly Jo. Please read my post again where it says I gave it away. Yes, I  G A V E it away, no strings or conditions.
John

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 12:54:07 PM »
John

I admire your generosity. Is the recipient of the next generation? The young need a lot of encouragement these days.

Anyway, I hope the new owner makes good use of it.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2023, 01:06:38 PM »
John

I admire your generosity. Is the recipient of the next generation? The young need a lot of encouragement these days.

Anyway, I hope the new owner makes good use of it.

AVTUR

Yes. I've got thirty years on him! I've been tutoring him for some years now, and he is very keen.
John

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2023, 01:19:04 PM »

Jo

You guessed wrongly Jo. Please read my post again where it says I gave it away. Yes, I  G A V E it away, no strings or conditions.
John

John you have a reputation for buying stuff cheap, tarting it up then justifying flogging it on.

A Cowells is not a lathe for a beginner. You will have to give us the Ebay number so we can see how much it sells for.  :-X

Jo
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 01:35:41 PM by Jo »

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2023, 01:35:34 PM »

Jo

John

You will have to give us the Ebay number so we can see how much it sells for.  :-X

Jo
Really Jo, you shouldn't judge people by your own standards...

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2023, 01:46:42 PM »

You will have to give us the Ebay number so we can see how much it sells for.  :-X

Jo
Really Jo, you shouldn't judge people by your own standards...

I have never sold anything on Ebay. I still have every single model I have ever made (or attempted  ::) ) The only reason I sold the Lathes I did was due to space and the purchasers are on the Forum if you wish to ask them. Which reminds me I must get rid of that :censored: Sieg Lathe.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2023, 02:23:41 PM »
I'll take the red devil off your hands for the same terms of John's.

Cowells was probably worthless anyway as it was not in OEM colours :LittleDevil:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2023, 02:43:57 PM »
 :thinking: It would give me some space.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2023, 02:49:01 PM »
Stick it in your boot tomorrow and I will pop to guildford

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2023, 03:22:53 PM »
Stick it in your boot tomorrow and I will pop to guildford

If you are lucky you might see David running his Midlands :)

But you won't see any of the ICEBG as we are not going.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2023, 03:43:03 PM »
I thought you and the Mikes might be the last three standing again, you know I'm not into watching loco going round and round.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal