Author Topic: What shall I build?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: What shall I build?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 09:03:27 AM »
As I said JB weld would do it, probably just add a screw each end to add extra strength to those joints. Could also be cut from solid. If you decide to go for that one then I can draw to suit.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 09:06:45 AM »
Thanks, if intended to build one I'd rather solder it if possible.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 03:33:02 PM »
You mentioned maybe an IC engine? For that I'd suggest a Webster. Relatively simple four stroke from bar stock. Plans should be available via Internet.

The Kerzel looks to be a nice IC for hit and miss. Likely more complex than the Webster but a nice looking engine. I believe it's also a bar stock engine.

Then I like the Firefly which is a bar stock model airplane engine. I like it as it's a glow plug engine so fuel is easily available in the USA. I see you're in the UK so fuel for a diesel (compression ignition) engine may be more available. It was designed as a beginner engine but don't know how well they did with this goal.

Don't forget about the Stiriling engines also. So many options so little time.

Hope this is of some interest. Thanks.
Hugh

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 04:57:22 PM »
There were a lot of people who had a go at the firefly when it first came out in RCM&E and then ME, there is a comprehensive build thread on it to help beginners. When I spoke with Alex the designer he said 60-70 sets of materials had been sold plus others would have made from their own stocks.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 02:01:03 AM »
Jason:

I thought I saw in my searches that you built a Firefly. Is that correct? I may give this one a go and was (or will) ask you about the experience when it gets close (like next fall). But since it came up, what do you think of the design and plans?

Thanks.

There were a lot of people who had a go at the firefly when it first came out in RCM&E and then ME, there is a comprehensive build thread on it to help beginners. When I spoke with Alex the designer he said 60-70 sets of materials had been sold plus others would have made from their own stocks.
Hugh

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2023, 07:18:17 AM »
Plans were very good with no real errors and easy to follow, Plans are  available again with the agreement of Glenn who drew them up from Alex' original engine . Alex used to host the drawings but I have them in my Dropbox account now.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=70308&p=1

The modern CAD drawings offer so much more than the poor quality copies of old drawings that seem to tend come from the usual suppliers

I did a couple of modifications to mine which are just cosmetic

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:32:19 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 10:22:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry for the late reply but I've been a bit preoccupied the last few days.

I've just bought a second hand set of castings for the Stuart beam engine, it isn't really my preferred choice but I got it a good price so I couldn't resist it.

I've never built an engine completely from casting before so I'm hoping it's, within my skill level.

I'll do a build log in another thread once I start on it  :)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2023, 03:12:29 PM »
Gas_mantle: Sounds like a good choice. I've shied away from castings, mainly due to the cost. But it sounds like you got a good deal, win/win. Looking forward to the build log.

Jason: Thanks for the info.

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2023, 07:26:54 AM »
Hugh, I kinda dropped lucky with the castings. I bought a Stuart 504 boiler on ebay a couple of weeks ago and the seller asked if I was interested in castings, he offered me first refusal on the beam engine at a decent price.

I've never built an engine entirely from castings before so this will be a first for me  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal