Author Topic: 1/16 scale 1916 Case 65 HP Steam Traction Engine  (Read 4992 times)

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
Re: 1/16 scale 1916 Case 65 HP Steam Traction Engine
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2023, 01:37:36 AM »
I have spent a lot of time studying plans for the Case 65, and I think I now understand the clutch mechanism.

Your version is very, very close to the original. Yes, there is a collar to separate the over-center parts from the pinion.

Here is a sketch that shows the basics.

Gene

Offline raveney

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2023, 09:48:14 PM »
 A few more parts this week for the case 65 HP,
First crankshaft flywheel was too small, second one looks better. I measure the pictures and do a ratio comparing to the wheels or boiler shell (known diameters)
Made a crosshead cylinder and support that will sandwich between crosshead and cylinder head. It will also support the maintenance shelf and steps.
The crosshead on Rudy's plan is much simpler, but this one was used by Kim on his build and looks much more representative to the real one. I would have liked to use more studs/bolts than the four, but it appeared that they would interfere with the steam passages and exhaust port.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2023, 01:36:59 AM »
The larger flywheel and crosshead look great! Much better proportioned to the substantial machine that this truly is!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim 

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2023, 08:05:39 AM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: I like the way you are calculating the forces in the clutch mechanism  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2023, 09:07:23 AM »
the clutch mechanism is very clever and works perfectly, well done.
does the hexagonal part for adjustment have left and right handed threads?

Offline raveney

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2023, 01:28:15 PM »
Thank you for the compliments and comments,
 :)
this project is a lot of fun as I am able to deviate from plans often and there is a lot of reference materials online.

I assume that the hex should have both left and right hand threads, but I omitted them as I don't have the LH dies or taps for 2-56 thread. I'm not sure they even make left hand taps this small?

I still thought hex threaded couplings were needed. Adjustability was necessary to ensure equal lengths, and I set that using two drill bits through the clevise ends of both rods. Then I secured them using green loctite. The shoe friction is then adjusted by how far the flywheel is pushed onto the shaft.

For now I have tiny strips of work glove leather attached on the shoes using contact cement. Should last a while? :shrug:

Offline raveney

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2023, 01:39:43 PM »
image to better show what was meant about hex couplings and adjustment of clutch :cheers:

Offline Krypto

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2023, 03:36:37 PM »
You are doing some great work here!  It will be interesting to see how the clutch works under a load.

PM models has LH tap & dies at 0-80 & 1-72 if you feel the need (also found LH 2-56 at various other places).

The leather should hold up well.  Back in the day, I used to race nitro-powered RC sprint cars and my car was using an aftermarket brake system that was basically a brass strip with bonded leather wrapped around an aluminum drum.  The leather held-up well for several seasons in a much harder use case so in your engine it should last practically forever.
My Workshop Blog:  https://doug.sdf.org/

Offline raveney

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2023, 10:02:52 PM »
Thank you Krypto,
A few more weekends and I might be able to test it on air. :zap:
Continued work on the steam engine parts. Mainly using Rudy's excellent book but made dimensional adjustments to make the modified crosshead and flywheel work out.
I used a bit of 304 SS for the piston rod, and thought I was going to have a fit threading it, but it went fine. Used bronze offcuts for the piston and valve. Still need to make one more gland nut and I can put it together for keeps.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2023, 11:37:43 PM »
Great looking parts!    :ThumbsUp:   Following along here.  :popcorn:

I also tried some 304 stainless on a recent project, never again! It work hardens really quickly.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline raveney

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2023, 03:53:13 PM »
Well the troubleshooting and fitting up of all the engine components seemed to take longer than making them. I used graphite yarn in place of a ring and it was pretty hard to keep it intact while assembling it all. Kept getting stuck on the sharp edged steam passages at the end cover. Also had a bugger of a time with the valve rocker until realizing that the bottom pivot needed to be slotted. Rudy notes this, but I missed it. Another hurdle was my valve spindle would unthread out of adjustment, and the engine would start and then slow down and stop. Jam nuts fixed that. Lastly the whole design of using set screws on a shaft that needs to slide into bearings is not great. After I figured out the final position of the slip eccentric, I made another shaft and keyed the engine flywheel. Whew!

Thanks to Kim and other builders for the tips. The clear steam chest cover was very useful. I'm sure I saw it somewhere, but wanted to include two maybe useful shots of how I cut the circular gaskets, and how I made the drain cock spindles. The dremel stone was the only way I know to make a taper on SS screws. Everything else just bends or snaps them off.

I have a recycled refrigerator compressor that is extremely quiet and a good way of running in new engines. I left everything to run both directions and shot 30W all over to quiet things down. Unfortunately this soaked my leather clutch shoes so I made new ones a bit longer and clamped them in place with a hose-clamp while the contact cement was curing.

If I had steering I would let it crawl around.

See you next weekend! :pinkelephant:

Finally everything works, so made a short video of it starting, reversing and how good the clutch can grab (stalls the engine on air).
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_8SeqAZVs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_8SeqAZVs</a>
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 10:13:21 AM by raveney »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2023, 04:29:06 PM »
That runs great!  In both directions!  What more could you ask for  :ThumbsUp: ;D :popcorn:

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal