Author Topic: My version of the Moriya Fan  (Read 2377 times)

Offline SteamR

My version of the Moriya Fan
« on: March 24, 2023, 11:47:35 AM »
My very last project which I finished this month is a 10 inch Moriya Fan version, based on the design of James R. Senft. I adapted the original drawings to convert it in a version with metric dimensions.
It was the first time I did a design in 3D. I used the software Fusion 360 and I got surprisingly for me very quickly good results with that software.
The model was build from scratch and fabricated conventionally on a lathe and mill.

The fan started operation without any starting problems directly after assembly. It is fired with a small candle. Operation is very silent.
The Moriya Fan is a model which gives a lot of fun.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBF8ttcbAFQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBF8ttcbAFQ</a>

Richard
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:45:44 AM by SteamR »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: My version of the Moriya Fan
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 05:24:04 PM »
Beautiful Moriya Fan, Richard!  :ThumbsUp:

I've always liked this one and it's on my build list for someday (if I ever get past my Pennsy build, that is!)

Thanks for posting this. it runs very well!
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 10:08:01 PM »
Very good result Richard - one to be proud off  :ThumbsUp:      :cheers:

Per

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 01:10:43 AM »
Very nice!
That was one of the first models that I built many years ago, it has always been a great runner.

Dave

Offline TinkerJim

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 04:57:59 PM »
Hello Richard...

I just joined MEM and happened to see your post describing your version of the Moriya fan. 

It is a beautiful piece of work - true to the original - with added refinements - effortless running on a tiny candle flame.

Excellent.

James Senft

Offline SteamR

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 05:35:10 PM »
Hello James,
I appreciate your nice comments very much.

A hot air engine model is even much more attractive if it powers a fan. In November this year I will be on an exhibition and I´m very sure that this engine will be a visitor attraction.

By the way, do you have any idea how many engines have been build based on your clever design?

Richard

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 05:51:17 PM »
Hello Richard...

I just joined MEM and happened to see your post describing your version of the Moriya fan. 

It is a beautiful piece of work - true to the original - with added refinements - effortless running on a tiny candle flame.

Excellent.

James Senft

Hi James

Welcome to MEM!
I posted a few photos of my fan in your thread on the other forum, not sure if you had seen them or not. I'm currently working a pair of 1/2 sized Kyko engines.
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,11216.0.html

Dave

Offline TinkerJim

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 05:27:02 PM »
Hello Richard...

You asked how many Moriya's have been built ???  Over the nearly 50 years since its publication, I have received letters and photographs from many makers from many places.  Now with the internet, Moriya's appear on YouTube, forums, etc.   Alas, I never kept a running total.

A few years ago, at the suggestion of a Stirling fan collector,  I put together a 15" version of Moriya.  It retained and preserved the appearance and style of the original 10" while providing occasion to incorporate some improvements.  The result is described in detail in the little book "Moriya Major", published in 2021.  Already I know of two Majors that have been built from the book.

After finishing Moriya Major with its refinements, it seemed like the good old original 10" fan deserved to have those features too. So "Moriya II" was born, and complete plans for it also published in booklet form in 2022.

The new features on the last two Moriya fans include:
Twin bearing support for the displacer rod for less friction and longer life
Wider fin spacing for a better cooling airflow around the cold end
Ball bearings on rotating joints
Flame shield below the engine and chimney exhaust above the fan
Integral floor pan with magnet held burner
Incidentals like carrying handle, workspace bleed port

The booklets of plans for these fans are available through Amazon which may help to continue the Moriya making tradition.

Offline TinkerJim

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 05:56:49 PM »
Hello Dave Otto

Thanks for the heads up on your fine HMEM posts.  I ended up going through all of your posts on the 1/2 Kyko engines in one long session.  It was captivating...your work is edifying.

BTW, the Kyko inspired the general appearance chosen for Moriya.  I tried to emulate the grace and stance of Kyko by employing a similar curvature of the legs and retaining the spartan look of its fan guard.

James Senft

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 11:48:13 PM »
James, thank for the very nice comments, and for taking the time to view my work.
Hopefully I will be able to capture the design and style of the original KyKo fan in my model. The stand design that came with the casting kit just barely resembles the original construction, so like I have on many other parts of the models, I'm starting from scratch.

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 02:58:47 AM »
Very nice work……

:cheers:
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal