Supporting > My Workshop

My Closet

(1/2) > >>

Djangodog:
After retiring and deciding that I needed to downsize because I didn’t want to do a lot of outside work any more, (I had a life changing motorcycle accident in 2008 which affected my ability to spend long days at a machine.  Making things for myself allows me to stop when it becomes too much).  I sold my Moore 1 1/2 Jig Bore and my Harig Super 612 Surface Grinder, (I do miss them both).  The grinder was great for finishing crank shafts, (Harig “Lectric” Centers and Harig punch former made easy work of a crank shaft). 

My shop was “L” shaped, but now it is less than a third the original size.  I had to go vertical, but it’s still pretty tight quarters.  I added a wall and converted the rest of the shop into a sitting room that houses part of my collections.

I can’t complain about what I have left.  My father always had at least a lathe and drill press at home and I have always had access to machine tools.  I have often wondered how people can get by without a lathe and vertical mill.  It seems that there is always something that needs rework or repair.  I feel very fortunate.

We still have a pretty nice woodworking shop in the basement and I have a work bench and antique watchmakers bench for the fussier hand work and assembly.

crueby:
Thats a quite nicely equipped 'closet'!

simplyloco:
Excellent!
I've never seen such a clean setup, especially the Bridgeport.
John

vtsteam:
Beautiful space, even if downsized. How do you keep metal bits from migrating into the rest of the house? I see there are two throw rugs -- do you have other means as well? Basically asking for advice....

Djangodog:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on March 05, 2023, 03:01:07 PM ---Beautiful space, even if downsized. How do you keep metal bits from migrating into the rest of the house? I see there are two throw rugs -- do you have other means as well? Basically asking for advice....

--- End quote ---

I wear a shop apron and take it off before leaving the shop, so my clothing tends to stay chip free.  I also keep a pair of shoes at the entrance and only wear them in the shop.  The other thing is to keep the floor swept.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version