Author Topic: "Hello" from Monte Vista, CO!  (Read 3131 times)

Offline JRP52

Re: "Hello" from Monte Vista, CO!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 03:26:44 PM »
Encouraging words, Kim!  :)

My Polamco/Andrychow lathe is a 17x40 (with a removable under-the-chuck section making it a 20X40 metal-turning dee-vice), and I need to get a few more tools before I can really start in on the project.  (I'm thinking the 5C(?) collect set-up you have would be handy...)

The Bridgeport?  TBD (to be determined).

-Jim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: "Hello" from (freezing) Monte Vista, CO!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2023, 05:22:49 PM »
Why wouldn't the Bridgeport be useable for this project? I would think it would be perfectly serviceable.  I've got the Grizzly G0695 which is a knee mill. Not as large as a Bridgeport, but I don't see why that should matter.  If I had a Bridgeport, I'd certainly use it!

Yes, I love the 5C collet chuck!  It is my most used chuck for my lathe.  The 4 jaw next and the 3 jaw least.  I've got a face plate but I've yet to use that (which I guess makes it actually the least used, not the 3 jaw  :Lol:).  Someday I'm sure I will use the face plate. But I haven't yet...

Kim

Offline JRP52

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2023, 04:52:30 PM »
Kim:

I've looked up a Grizzly G0695 mill (nice, BTW) and I've seen what YouTube has for 5C collet use.  As an R8 user on the Bridgeport, I have a lot to learn!

I'm up to Page 175 on your blog, so expect a few questions (I'm storing them up...but no elves - yet!).

Great vids and progress!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2023, 09:12:40 PM »
Well, Jim, you're almost up to real-time now!  I think the thread is at 177 pages at the moment.

Yeah, my mill uses R8.

I also got a set of R8 collet blocks - square and hex.  Those have been quite valuable.  And at some point I picked up an 5C indexer, which is handy from time to time.  I've got a rotary table but there's always the problem of how to hold things on the RT.  And with the indexer you have the whole fleet of 5C collets to choose from.

Looking forward to seeing the start of your Pennsy! :)

Kim

Offline JRP52

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2023, 10:05:32 PM »
I need to get a Sawzall (maybe tomorrow) to cut the A36 steel for the balance of the eight tender wheels (I currently have  just one so seven to go!).

Among other tools...clamps, for example.

-Jim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2023, 10:58:47 PM »
I need to get a Sawzall (maybe tomorrow) to cut the A36 steel for the balance of the eight tender wheels (I currently have  just one so seven to go!).

Among other tools...clamps, for example.

-Jim
If you get one, make sure its variable  speed so you can run it slower to keep from overheating and  dulling the blade. I went through a number of blades before learning  that...

Offline JRP52

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2023, 11:49:21 PM »
Hi, crueby (Chris?)

I have a Big R about ten minutes from me, and their on-line ad sez the DeWalt "Sawzall' has a variable speed on it.

(I loaned my Kozo A3 book to a couple of friends so they could see what I was up to, but I'll prolly get it tomorrow when I get the Sawzall - or equivalent!)

Kim's got stuff in his shop I wish I had!

-Jim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 02:54:06 AM »
Hi, crueby (Chris?)

I have a Big R about ten minutes from me, and their on-line ad sez the DeWalt "Sawzall' has a variable speed on it.

(I loaned my Kozo A3 book to a couple of friends so they could see what I was up to, but I'll prolly get it tomorrow when I get the Sawzall - or equivalent!)

-Jim
Sounds good!

Chris

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2023, 05:15:23 AM »
Hi, crueby (Chris?)

-Jim

Well, I've got one of the ubiquitous Harbor Freight 4"x6" horizontal band saws.  I picked it up on sale 10-12 years ago for $169.  They've gone up since then, but  you can still catch them on frequent sale at HF.  One of the pretty decent pieces of equipment you can pick up from Harbor Freight!

Kim

Offline JRP52

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 02:24:55 AM »
Got the reciprocating saw today (finally); haven't checked to see if it's got the variable speed on it yet - had to get feed and scratch grains for the chickenzz.

Also; got a friend interested in the goings-on, so I'll write him after I get done here!  (May have to show his wife the same!)

...After some honey-do stuff - which if I don't do it, it don't git done!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2023, 05:02:41 AM »
One step closer!  :ThumbsUp: :)
Kim

Offline JRP52

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »
 :old:  Reminds me of ME! :)

Offline longpinesdesign

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2023, 09:21:14 PM »
Hi Jim. I'm over in Denver (Centennial). Looks to be a few of us from Colorado around here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal