Author Topic: Hello from Germany  (Read 1888 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 02:20:08 PM »
Thank you all for your welcomes!

Picture of "my engine" as it is - virtual, in CAD still.

I like it!   

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jan D

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 08:09:50 PM »
Nice job capturing the form of the type 35 engine Jan !
Interesting vertical shaft cam drive in that engine.
Thanks! Years of research, plans, drawings, books, pictures.... It should be relatively accurate.
And luckily this engine only has one vertical shaft. When the timing for cylinder #1 is right, the whole engine should be okay. Unlike some old Porsche engines...

Und danke Bruno! Thanks, Bruno.

Thank you Dave as well!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 10:15:57 PM »
Hello Jan

Another welcome.

I love your 3D model of the type 35 Bugatti engine. It's one of my favourites and I would love to build it's model one day.  :old:

You said you live in Germany and work on historic cars over the border in France. The Bugatti museum is in Mosheim and the Schlumpf museum is a little further south in Mulhouse; so there are no shortage of type 35 engines in the area. Are you close to any of these?

Cheers     Prost   :cheers:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 11:25:12 PM »
Thank you all for your welcomes!

Picture of "my engine" as it is - virtual, in CAD still.

mmmm   air cooled oil pan?
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jan D

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 01:37:20 AM »
Hello Jan

Another welcome.

I love your 3D model of the type 35 Bugatti engine. It's one of my favourites and I would love to build it's model one day.  :old:

You said you live in Germany and work on historic cars over the border in France. The Bugatti museum is in Mosheim and the Schlumpf museum is a little further south in Mulhouse; so there are no shortage of type 35 engines in the area. Are you close to any of these?

Cheers     Prost   :cheers:

Mike
Thank you! I am relatively close to Molsheim and Mulhouse, haven't been to the Schlumpf Museum in a while, though.
I don't know a Bugatti museum in Molsheim, but the factory is there. And there is an annual Bugatti owners meeting, open to the public, very interesting every year, and great place to take pictures.

In Altlussheim in Germany (close to me as well) there is a Bugatti museum, but this one focuses on Type 57s.

Offline Jan D

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 01:45:00 AM »

mmmm   air cooled oil pan?
Yes, that was a feature of the original engine. It had these fins and logitudinal pipes going through the pan.
Also no separate cylinder heads... Head gaskets were not so good, back in the 1920ies, so cylinders and heads were one casting (per 4 cylinders).

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2023, 10:36:15 AM »

Thank you! I am relatively close to Molsheim and Mulhouse, haven't been to the Schlumpf Museum in a while, though.
I don't know a Bugatti museum in Molsheim, but the factory is there. And there is an annual Bugatti owners meeting, open to the public, very interesting every year, and great place to take pictures.

In Altlussheim in Germany (close to me as well) there is a Bugatti museum, but this one focuses on Type 57s.

Hello Jan,

As I understand it, the Musée de la Chartreuse, Molsheim has a small section dedicated to Ettore Bugatti and his beautiful cars. I may be wrong, I have never visited the museum.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jan D

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2023, 08:24:16 AM »
Hi Mike,

in that case I have to look for it when I am in Molsheim next time. Thanks for the heads up!

Jan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal