Author Topic: Duclos Flame Licker  (Read 1581 times)

Offline mnay

Duclos Flame Licker
« on: February 20, 2023, 03:34:42 AM »
Seems like flame licker engines are popular these days.  I had never built one, so after some study I decided to make the design by Phillip Duclos.  His plan has been in several publications.

I like larger models so I am building his design x 1.5.

I thought I should share my efforts because I check the forum for new posts and projects everyday and have learned a lot from the members here.  I have modified my Bridgeport type mill for 2 axis cnc via Mach 3.  I use it to cut the shapes of the complicated parts and then do the finish work manually on my lathes and mill.

Offline mnay

Re: Duclos Flame Licker
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 03:39:59 AM »
First part to make was the flywheel.  I had a piece of solid aluminum plate that I roughed out in my larger lathe and then did the finish work on the mill and my 10k Southbend.

Offline mnay

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 03:48:12 AM »
I made the cylinder from a piece of 416 stainless steel. Again, roughed out in my larger lathe, which handles the cut off tool for grooving without so much chatter.  Milling the valve face and port and milling the top fins were done in the mill.

At my lost job before I retired, I had access to 416 pump shaft material, I was able to collect several end cuts and lots of used shaft material.  416 is a great material to work with.  It machines easily and it does not corrode after setting on your shelf.

Offline mnay

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 03:53:23 AM »
The cylinder support was machined from aluminum plate.  The basic shape was cut via cnc and then the finish work was done manually on the mill and lathe.

I did not detail the work on the base plate.  It was made from aluminum plate.  I cut a chamfer all around to dress it up and then drilled the holes to bolt the rubber feet on and also the cylinder support and the crankshaft uprights.

Offline mnay

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 04:00:19 AM »
The cylinder has a couple of thou interference fit to the standard, so I warmed up the support with a propane torch and slipped it place, using a square to make sure the valve face was perpendicular to the bottom.

I made the crankshaft supports from two pieces to make the machining easier.  I then bolted the cylinder support assembly and the 2 crankshaft supports in place and aligned them with a square to the base.  To make a nice fit for the crankshaft and finish reamed he holes in the mill.

Offline mnay

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 04:03:38 AM »
The cam was one of the more complex parts to make, but with the cnc capabilities of the mill, I just had to produce the drawing and the mill did the rest.

Offline mnay

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 04:10:39 AM »
The con rod was another shape to cut.  After cutting the shape I finished the holes in both end and the turned it over to machine the excess stock from the other side, same procedure for the crank arm.

The rest of the parts were just standard lathe and mill work.  I did vary from his design, and I made the piston out of graphite material.

It took some effort to get the valve to seat properly on the face and to get the cam set so the timing was correct. 

Offline mnay

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 04:12:11 AM »
So here it is all put together looking from the crank lever side.

Offline mnay

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 04:29:09 AM »
I had to do some experimenting to get it to run.  I tried to get it to run with just a single 1/4" wick for the burner, but found it was not enough flame.  I had a small oil can that was able to accept 4 pieces of 1/4" diameter wick and that did the trick.   I used denatured alcohol for the fuel.

After a bit of run time, it would start right up on the first flick of the flywheel.  I did a short run from the crank to illustrate the cam action.

It was a fun project and now I can check off the flame licker engine from my bucket list.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYZffNpJyiY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYZffNpJyiY</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlczRLAJH0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHlczRLAJH0</a>

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 05:56:06 AM »
Very nice flame licker!  Seems to run quite well! Congratulations!

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 09:47:00 AM »
Congratulations - you have a very fine runner  :cheers:

Per

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 02:00:03 PM »
Well done!  I built one ages ago, they're a fun little engine to run.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 02:20:02 PM »
Very nice runner. I have always like Duclos's engines.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
Steve

Offline Cbrown89

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 07:47:08 PM »
An engine I hope to build in the future. They seem to be one of the easier flame licker designs to get to run. Nice job on yours

Offline mnay

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 02:00:28 AM »

Thanks for comments and compliments.

On to the next project on the list.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023, 02:03:25 AM »
Nicely done!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal