Author Topic: No 60 Boiler  (Read 9957 times)

Offline springcrocus

• Steve's Britannia
Re: No 60 Boiler
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2023, 05:47:54 PM »
You have my sympathy, David, I know exactly what you mean, having been there myself. You can provide scientific evidence to back your assertions till you are blue in the face but if the inspectors are too stupid to understand the proof, then they fall back on the old tried-and tested-method which states "We've always done it this way so it MUST be right".
No point arguing with a bunch of idiots, I'm afraid.
Regards, Steve
Member of a local model engineers society
www.stevesbritannia.co.uk

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2023, 06:32:36 PM »
you have my sympathy, too.

Phosphor bronze rather than brass for fasteners is, I believe, a pretty general requirement, and PB or gunmetal for fittings.

Over the scratches, copper is a ductile material and not notch sensitive, but you seem to have enough material to polish them out anyway.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2023, 09:45:06 PM »
Oh Man - that is tough - and you have my full sympaties + understanding why you fell something like  :facepalm:   :Director:  :Mad:   :Argue:   + the desire to keep quiet to avoid further problems down the line.

I agree with Charless that it should be possible to polish the scratches away, and remove that one from the list.

Best wishes

Per

Offline john mills

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2023, 12:26:28 AM »
talk to your boiler inspector first. see what local current code requirers before doing work on your boiler.
John

Offline springcrocus

• Steve's Britannia
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2023, 08:03:11 AM »
talk to your boiler inspector first. see what local current code requirers before doing work on your boiler.
John
Unfortunately, this is what everything is about. It seems like the boiler inspectors are being unreasonable because they are incapable of understanding the science behind what they are trying to make a judgement on. David KNOWS what the code requires, but it seems that the boiler inspectors are putting their own biased opinions ahead of the facts. They don't understand the data provided in evidence, so hide behind the old saying "when in doubt, chuck it out".
Regards, Steve
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:24:22 AM by springcrocus »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2023, 08:24:40 AM »
If you are not happy with the club inspector why not engage the services of a professional boiler inspector, many traction engine model owners do this so why not with a loco. They are far more qualified than a club inspector who may be playing safe if they are not sure of something.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2023, 08:45:43 AM »
Why does the word "Fareham" keep going over in my mind  :headscratch: I thought it was a long lost memory but I am getting De ja Vu  :facepalm: One of the reasons I moved over to stationary engines was I didn't need a boiler  :).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline uuu

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2023, 09:22:28 AM »
This is an extract from the UK boiler test code:
 :old: f. During examinations or tests at extended intervals (say ten
years), check adequacy of screw threads to all fittings and
mounts. Particular attention should be paid to the possibility of
de-zincification in brass fittings.

So there's the warning about brass fittings - but you're right - it's not prohibiting them, just requiring special attention.  No point trying to teach them their own job, though - they'll soon find another place to try and hang you on.  Like this:

:old: 6.4 It is recommended that screw operated valves fitted on the back
head of the boiler should be of the type where the spindle cannot
be screwed out. The use of non-captive valve spindles or fittings
should not be a reason to fail a boiler. Also check that all levers
and hand-wheels are securely fitted to their respective spindles.

Even though the code explicitly allows non-captive spindles, I've heard their use being expressed as a requirement.  Note also this rule only refers to valves on the back head of the boiler - not anywhere else.

Hey ho.

Wilf

Offline Midland60

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2023, 11:49:51 AM »
Why does the word "Fareham" keep going over in my mind  :headscratch: I thought it was a long lost memory but I am getting De ja Vu  :facepalm: One of the reasons I moved over to stationary engines was I didn't need a boiler  :).

Jo

Hi Jo
Not too far behind you I think! I have been writing to various authorities in Canada to see if I can find drawings of the flour cylinder triples we had in the Prestonian class frigates and where I have actually stood a watch or two during training. No luck so far but not giving up yet!
David

Offline Midland60

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 03:50:23 PM »
you have my sympathy, too.

Phosphor bronze rather than brass for fasteners is, I believe, a pretty general requirement, and PB or gunmetal for fittings.

Over the scratches, copper is a ductile material and not notch sensitive, but you seem to have enough material to polish them out anyway.

Thanks Charles, got your pm and yes sweet and docile. Have just heard that one if not two may be resigning and the two replacements are actually proper engineers.  There is hope yet!
David

Offline Midland60

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2023, 02:03:19 PM »
Success!  The boiler has its shell test passed and certified. Many thanks to those who helped, encouraged and spurred me on. Learnt a few things too.
So I  think we can end this thread and perhaps start a brief new on on the reassembly although not  very interesting putting together a kit of parts!!
Cheers David

Online wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2023, 03:14:39 PM »
Congratulations!!  :cheers: :cartwheel: :pinkelephant:
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline springcrocus

• Steve's Britannia
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2023, 03:18:37 PM »
Nice one, David  :cartwheel:

Now, tell me, how many boiler inspectors are left at your club?  :Lol:

Regards, Steve

Offline uuu

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2023, 04:04:10 PM »
 :DrinkPint:

Wilf

Offline Midland60

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2023, 04:12:43 PM »
Nice one, David  :cartwheel:

Now, tell me, how many boiler inspectors are left at your club?  :Lol:

Regards, Steve
They became quite cooperative and supportive. They made their point but Wally Pearson drew their attention to the Federation newsletter from December and Richard Gibbons' article about boiler testing a spectator sport! I put it in for them as it was my last newsletter!!!
Cheers David

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal