Author Topic: No 60 Boiler  (Read 10035 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: No 60 Boiler
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2023, 05:35:08 PM »
Glad you were able to get that broken bit cleaned up and taken care of!  That's wonderful news! :)  :popcorn:

Pictures should be easy to attach to your post.  I you look just below the white box your type the text for your reply in, you should see the words "+ Attachments and other options".  If you click on that It will pop up some options and below that you will see "Attach:" and a "Choose File" button.  If you click the "Choose File" button it will take you to a file explorer like interface where you can select the picture(s) that you want to attach.  The pictures are size limited.  I think <500K each.  But please, resize your pics to something like 800x600 or 1024x768.  That is plenty large enough for the forum and not only saves space but makes it a better experience for people with slower internet connections.

As for the comsol - I'm not really familiar with that, but when I did a google search, it came up with soft solder.  Are you planning to use soft solder there? I have heard it's best not to use soft solder for these applications.

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2023, 10:02:30 PM »
Great news that you solved the broken bit problem  :cartwheel:

Sorry but not the right person to answer the other question .....

Per                 :cheers:

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2023, 10:10:30 PM »
Great that the drill bit is out, quite a relief I'm sure! Never heard of comsol.

Re pics: exactly what Kim said, but with some operating systems also, if you open your photo folder you can just drag a photo file into the message attachment box and that works as well as using the file explorer.
Steve

Offline Midland60

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2023, 07:49:22 PM »
Backhead  back to normal, superheater fixed, have a stinking cold but happy. First we need to get the strip along the poor old girl's belly and then off to get a cert, hopefully!!!

Will try to show you a few pics and then we might move onto restoration!!!!
Cheers David

Offline Midland60

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2023, 08:29:31 PM »
Just catching up with your replies, YES, thanks it worked.
I am new to an Apple Mac Air so finding how to get pictures down to size is another exploration!!

Comol is a 'not too soft solder' with a 396F melting point so ideal for a small fix on silver soldered work with a little 'hole'. It did the superheater this afternoon so maybe we go with it. One drawback is that once used you cannot go back to silver soldering, it has some muck in it!

I have to add a small comment from my Dad living in Canada for 60 years, for the American readers. In Britain, using soft solder we use a soldering iron. My dad called once to ask why do the Americans call it a sodding iron. No idea Dad why? Because if you pick it up at the wrong end it is sodding hot!!!!

Back to work on the photos!
Cheers David

PS Just found how to reduce picture size, watch this space!!!!
cheers
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:37:33 PM by Midland60 »

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2023, 10:28:23 PM »
According to the company it is a soft solder composed of 1.5% Silver,  5% Tin,  93.5% Lead.
With a 296C melting point (565F)
Steve

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2023, 10:33:39 PM »
Comol is a 'not too soft solder' with a 396F melting point so ideal for a small fix on silver soldered work with a little 'hole'. It did the superheater this afternoon so maybe we go with it. One drawback is that once used you cannot go back to silver soldering, it has some muck in it!

I suspect that heating an old boiler up to silver soldering temperature could lead to a complete disaster.  As is well known, soft solder was used in the past for the entire boiler, along with rivets for strength of course.

In this application it would seem that Comsol or similar is the best choice.

Gene

Offline Midland60

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2023, 11:29:26 AM »
Ha Ha superheater fixed, now holds 200 lbs, we are on our way. Been a bit quiet we have sticking colds around here, more next week.  And poor old Tsimplyloco is back from India via Qatar airways with food poisoning, not too well. We wish him good progress to get better!!
Cheers David

Offline Midland60

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2023, 09:13:01 PM »
Life for No 60 has moved on over the past 8 days. First Janie and I have had ghastly colds and been laid flat out for a few days. The idea of going out to the workshop was the last thing I needed.  But,
we got a bit better and I solved the last weepy problem so now the boiler holds 220 lbs fine for a quarter of an hour. Have now put the decorative strip of copper along the 'zipper' bottom and she looks good. Again took her up to 15 bar which is 217 psi. So on Friday I will present said boiler to the examiners and see if they can hold the pressure at 15 bar. Once that s dn there is no exceed]se to give me the cert I need.
Have taken photos. but they are dragging behind. Once I cab get them into my Mac and then down to size I will show them here.Then I think we close this thread and we can get onto the rebuild!

Cheers David

Offline springcrocus

• Steve's Britannia
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 09:42:28 PM »
Best of luck, David. I'm sure that the truss you have fitted to her underside will stop her belly sagging.  :Lol:
Regards, Steve
Member of a local model engineers society
www.stevesbritannia.co.uk

Offline uuu

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2023, 09:45:36 PM »
Excellent.   :DrinkPint:

Wilf

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2023, 04:21:45 AM »
Glad to hear you've gotten it past the pressure testing, at least, for yourself. Now lets hope if passes for the inspectors too!

Looking forward to the pics.
Kim

Offline Midland60

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2023, 06:05:52 PM »
Best of luck, David. I'm sure that the truss you have fitted to her underside will stop her belly sagging.  :Lol:
Regards, Steve
Steve
That is a very rude thing to say about an absolutely gorgeous Victorian old lady, Will bring her to your next IOW rally so you may kneel and beg forgiveness. I have anyway asked that she Knight you for services to (my)  locos and as she lives just down the road you should be in like fln!!!!! For our American colleagues, Queen Victoria had a summer place at Osbourne House on the IOW, look it up on Google quite a nice little summer cottage as they say!!!!

Will post the pictorial story, now that I can get photos off my iPhone into the computer, that was the challenge!
Cheers David

Offline Midland60

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2023, 06:09:35 PM »
. . . . and may I add that with encouragement from Portland, OR, FL and Denmark how can anyone go wrong. And BTW, comsol is a solder that melts at about 396 deg F, lower than solver solder, hence its use!
David

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2023, 04:28:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the inspection, David.  It does sound frustrating.

Just remember, they are (hopefully) trying to keep everyone safe.  Probably not an easy job.

Hope you can get the issue resolved and more on with your project.

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal