Author Topic: Hi from Honeoye Falls USA  (Read 929 times)

Offline BillB

Hi from Honeoye Falls USA
« on: February 04, 2023, 01:42:07 AM »
Hi From Honeoye Falls!

I've been reading the forum for a few years now.  Soon after I signed up we started a move from Texas to New York.  It's been a long and drawn out move through the pandemic and the housing circus but we finally scored a house in Honeoye Falls and are in the process of getting the workshop set up again.  The plan was to put the shop in one of the finished rooms in the basement but the cabinets do not fit through that door so it's in a corner of the unfinished section until the door is sorted out.

When I first got back into machining I started a Galloway.  After realizing that this was too ambitious, I built a Chucky by following the fantastic plans and build logs on this site.  I hope to do one of the simpler steam engine casting kits next and then get back to the Galloway.  It will move along a bit slower than most builds on this site because I'm still working full time and, well, I work a bit slower in the shop.

Thanks everything this forum is about!

-bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Hi from Honeoye Falls USA
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 01:49:46 AM »
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum!  I'm pretty close to you, over in North Chili on the west side of Rochester.

Chris

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 02:16:12 AM »
Welcome Bill! I'm a fair bit east of you....
Admiring your shop space!  :cheers:
Steve

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 02:34:33 AM »
Hi Bill, and welcome!

I traveled to Honeoye Falls a number of times in my working days. GM had a "secret" R&D facility there. The sign at the road said "Something (I've forgotten what) Carriage Works. The locals knew exactly what it was though, not very secret at all. I think it's closed now, they moved it back to Warren, MI years ago. Is there stilll a good brew pub type place at the falls?
Regards,
Ron

Offline BillB

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 03:03:53 AM »
Hi Chris, Steve, and Ron,

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

My wife and I went down Carriage street but we couldn't figure out what the story behind it was.  There is a brewery there now and I think they have divided parts of it up for small business.  Right across the street is an Aluminum Foundry that I want to check out too.  We did go through Chili while house hunting but all the houses there were moving too fast to get a clean shot at. 

-bill

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 03:08:59 AM »
I think we have a strawberry variety in the garden called Honeoye. Never did know how that's pronounced!  :headscratch: :cheers:
Steve

Offline BillB

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 03:25:22 AM »
honey oih (like oil without the L).  That's actually one of the easy pronunciations around here.  I still get Chili wrong.   

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 05:06:33 AM »
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum!  Or at least to posting to the forum!

I look forward to seeing what your working on :)

Looks like a really nice shop you've got there!  And a beautiful little Chucky!

So, how do you pronounce Chili?  Apparently, it's not as simple as the chili in chili beans?

Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 05:08:10 PM »
Hi Bill, welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 06:00:14 PM »

So, how do you pronounce Chili?  Apparently, it's not as simple as the chili in chili beans?

Kim
Its not pronounce like the food, the 'chil' is pronounced like the begining of 'child', the last 'i' like 'eye'. Don't ask me why. Lots of place names in this area that are not pronounced like in other areas of the country.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 01:27:58 AM »

Kim
Its not pronounce like the food, the 'chil' is pronounced like the begining of 'child', the last 'i' like 'eye'. Don't ask me why. Lots of place names in this area that are not pronounced like in other areas of the country.
Well, that's straight forward...  :o

There are many things around here that are pronounced oddly.  For example, things that have Native American names tend to be hard for non-locals to pronounce - as I assume is the case anywhere in the country!

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 02:15:30 AM »
At least it's not as bad as some in Wales:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Translates roughly as "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave".
Regards,
Ron

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 01:03:36 PM »
Nice to see one of my Chuky engines. Hope it runs well for you.

The Galloway is a nice engine which I built a while ago and is a good engine to build

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 01:49:38 PM »
Welcome to MEM.

The CHUK Family says hi to their little brother.

:cheers:  Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 01:55:33 PM »
At least it's not as bad as some in Wales:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Translates roughly as "St Mary's Church in the Hollow of the White Hazel near a Rapid Whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio near the Red Cave".

And it’s a lot easier to type than say lol…. Pleased to report that after years of practice I can.  ;)

:cheers:  Graham.  ( iechyd da)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal