Author Topic: Orford Vintage Machinery Show 2023  (Read 2293 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Orford Vintage Machinery Show 2023
« on: February 01, 2023, 06:34:16 AM »
During my recent beach holiday, I managed to get to the Orford Vintage Machinery show once more.

It’s mostly vintage machinery which was actually used on nearby farms, and which has now been restored to running condition.  Always a few models in the mix, but I think more this year than the previous times I have been.

Along with all the small engines, they have a tractor pull, a couple of larger machines, some vintage cars, hot rods and motor bikes, so something for everyone.

First a few of the engines that caught my eye.  Some that have been there in previous years, and some new ones.  Most were running at some stage of the day, and the show actually runs for two days.  Includes the perennial favourite, the “drought buster” tap.

More to come

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Orford Vintage Machinery Show 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 07:13:01 AM »
Thanks for those, I do like the look of that Standard Seperator's crankcase so I've filed the images away should be fun to carve that on the CNC

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 08:20:13 AM »
Hi Jason, I am glad that you liked it.  It is beautifully presented. That crankcase will provide an interesting challenge for your CNC machine.

I must admit to wondering about the name - was it to drive a separator, if so what sort of separator? 

MJM460

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 09:12:57 AM »
There was a good selection of models this year.  Unfortunately most of the owners were elsewhere so I couldn’t find out much about them.  Probably a mistake to go on the first morning when they were all touring the other exhibits.  But the beach was calling for the afternoon.  Nice to see some Stirling engines and the two twins.

The last one I believe is not a model, but a full size Stirling cycle driven fan for the table.  I often wonder if the breeze was worth having the extra heat from the burner in the room on a hot day.

MJM460

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 09:16:04 AM by MJM460 »

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 09:31:18 AM »
A bunch of farmers can be quite creative with hay bales and some plastic sheeting, so they had a boat pond this year.  Apparently the green tug has enough thrust to push around a row boat with the rescue crew on board.

It is always nice to see engines doing something useful and apart from the typical water pump display.  There were a few less common ideas, some of which could provide inspiration for a model.  A very useful workshop accessory and the appliance every modern home must have.  The gear mechanism was particularly fascinating, giving the agitator approx quarter turn then reversing for a quarter and so on.  Keep fingers clear.

MJM460

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 09:46:42 AM »
And them some more varied subjects.  The portable engine was steamed up and running. 

I didn’t see the Lanz competing in the tractor pull but I think it may have other years.  The water tank is progressively moved up the ramp so it’s weight is carried by the sled between the front wheels, increasing the pull required to keep moving.

A round engine for Mike, or is the wrong part stationary? 

And something for the Admiral.  Can you recognise what it is?

Finally, a country show is not complete without demonstration of the local produce. 

Thanks again to all who put together such a great show in a small remote community, and especially to the Lions club who supplied hamburgers with the lot for only $4.  I think you could raise the price next year guys, they were excellent.

I hope everyone enjoys these photos and a little atmosphere of a great show.

MJM460

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 10:56:26 AM »
Hi MJM  and thank you for sharing the pictures  :Love:

I'm guessing that you are refering to the Harleys (no expert there) and I will guess that the one in front is the relative new Sporster 1200 that originally was made for us here in Europe - I believe that the owner has made some changes though ....

Enjoy the Summer with family and friends  :cheers:

Per

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »
You have picked it, Per.  I’m no expert but the owner was keen to provide the guided tour.

I think he may have changed more than he left original if I understood what he was telling me.

So many custom designed modifications, and he was very proud of the clean look with all the cables run inside the tubes.

Quite a substantial engine capacity increase too.  Carried in a purpose built trailer.  Most interesting to hear about what he had done.  A real labour of love.

MJM460

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 12:13:01 PM »
It would most likely have been used to run a cream separator

Offline RayW

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 12:13:29 PM »
Great photos and good to see another Stuart half horsepower.
As far as I am aware, the Standard Separator engines were used in dairies on cream separators.
Ray

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 12:20:05 PM »
Ah, I do miss the rallies. Many thanks for the tour. :ThumbsUp:

Apart from the Stuart Turner 1/2 horse, it was the Hornsby vertical Petrol engine that caught my eye. Yet another Lister lookalike and one that I was totally unaware of.

:cheers:  Graham.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 04:09:06 PM »
The last one I believe is not a model, but a full size Stirling cycle driven fan for the table.  I often wonder if the breeze was worth having the extra heat from the burner in the room on a hot day.
Having built a Stirling fan (Jerry Howell's plans) and run it on the dinner table on a hot day, I can say that the nice little draft it produces it quite welcome, easily offsetting the trivial amount of heat added by the candle size alcohol flame, which goes completely unnoticed. I'm not surprised they were marketable in the days before home electricity and electric fans.

Looks like a fun and interesting show, Thanks for the pics!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 06:22:44 PM »
I must admit to wondering about the name - was it to drive a separator, if so what sort of separator? 
As has already been said, I would assume it ran a cream separator.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of a great event!  Looks like it was a fun time   :D

Hope the beach was equally fun!  8)

Kim

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 06:55:19 PM »
One complete with it's separator, no cream though :(

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVs_4V0KvkA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVs_4V0KvkA</a>

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 09:08:02 AM »
Thanks, MJM, for posting the quantity of interesting photos , liked the model tug and the pilot vessel among the general category, and as you say, the show had plenty of variety to interest all visitors. And that sunshine!  Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal