Author Topic: Scale Morane Saulnier H  (Read 1187 times)

Offline vtsteam

Scale Morane Saulnier H
« on: January 31, 2023, 01:53:09 AM »
I don't know if this kind of thing is of interest here, but this is a model I made to my own design of a Morane Saulnier type H.

It weighs 50 grams and has a wingspan of 20" (500 mm). Sorry to say here, it isn't IC engined at this light a weight, but has a small brushed electric motor. It flies nicely in reasonably calm conditions... but definitely is a light plane with quite a large wing. I've flown it indoors in a local school gym as well.

The plane was made of thin foam sheet:

Cowl cheeks were made of blueboard foam, carved...

Finally I made a pilo..... er....I guess you'd call it an elf here......

Steve

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Scale Morane Saulnier H
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 02:13:50 AM »
A neat little flyer! Three channel RC or FF?
Regards,
Ron

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 02:18:47 AM »
Ron, it's R/C. An inexpensive helicopter brick receiver/servo set.

Steve

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 02:50:23 AM »
Awesome work!  And I like the aeroelf pilot!

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 03:37:54 AM »
Thanks Chris!  :cheers:

From carved blue foam.....

It's...... ALIVE........

Steve

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 10:46:45 AM »
Great little Airplane, nice photoes - I especially like the the one seen from below, with blue sky and clouds above -> very realistic  :ThumbsUp:

Thank you for showing  :cheers:

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 06:28:36 PM »
Neat little model plane, Steve!  I made some model plans in my youth, but haven't done any recently, and never any RC.  Very nice work!

Kim

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »
Cool plane!   
There has been threads further a field than this
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2810.0.html
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 07:09:51 PM »
One of the things I've always wondered about on the ultralight weight RC planes is what do you do about the wheels?  The wheels I've seen would weigh about a ton when compared to the rest of your build.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 07:36:13 PM »
That is a beautiful plane Steve! Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 02:15:18 PM »
Thank you Per, Kim, Steamer, ddmckee, and Dave!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Kim, were they flying models? I used to build control line models when I was a teenager. Well before that it was plastic display models, too. For control line I built small ones .049 powered. I still sometimes build balsa stick and tissue free flight models for winter flying in a gym. I've always liked planes. It's odd that I've never tried to build a model plane engine, since I now probably could. I still like small models, so it would probably be harder to build a small engine than a larger one. Don't really know.....

One very interesting model engine to me was built for a steam powered model airplane by HH Groves featured in Model Engineer May 1913. Maybe some day I will try to build that one. It combines two long time interests for me, planes and steam engines.

Steamer, those cars look like a lot of fun!  :ThumbsUp:

DDMcKee, I use sponge rubber wheels, and the hubs are just painted bond paper disks glued over them. I often use bits of paper in ultralight foam models for reinforcing in critical areas. The landing gear was light wire soldered (second photo above) and then the undercarriage built up with very thin soda straws, flattened so that they take on a foil shape. They have no real strength, the wire does the shock absorption (what little there is on a ounce and a half model). The flying and landing wires are elastic thread used in beaded jewelry making.

Here are some photos of the full sized plane I was modeling. I should have modeled the engine, since it is so interesting looking with the copper manifolds. But that's hard to do and look good in foam and it adds weight -- always a compromise in ultralight planes when you're counting grams. Still....maybe I will some day.

Steve

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 04:29:20 PM »
My very first RC airplane, back in the 1980's, was a Top Flite Elder 20, 3 channel with an Irvine .20 glow engine. Not a model of a Morane, but meant to be similar in style, and with a 53" wingspan is rather larger than yours. It only flew twice, then went into storage for many years. In the 2000's, living in MD I got back into it, flying with buddies behind the plant at work. The old Elder got a brushless DC motor, and soon I also added ailerons to it. It flew very well. It's retired now, as am I, but I still have it.

Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 06:31:21 PM »
Kim, were they flying models? I used to build control line models when I was a teenager. Well before that it was plastic display models, too. ...

They were flying models (tissue covered balsa structures).  Several were gliders but one was rubberband powered.  No gas engines for me. That was too expensive (I was in grade school, with a grade school budget!).  I got them to fly a few times, but they would all inevitably crash in a catastrophic way.  Honestly, for me the most fun was building them!   :embarassed:

I always wanted to play in gas motors and RC, but just way beyond my price range at the time.

Kim
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 01:50:50 AM by Kim »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 09:46:19 PM »
Building model IC engines - yes there is a lower limit where it starts to get more and more demanding to actually get them to run.
The reason is friction and clearence / accuracy - the smaller the sweept volume gets, the smaller you need to have small Clearence and tolerances, in order not to loose compression etc. - and all that needs loose less power than the Engine produces ...!

So depending on skills, Engine type and materiels + Tools -> anywhere between 2.5cc down to 0.3cc (Expert Level).

Then there is weight as you like to put it into an Aeroplane  ;)

Per

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 02:27:57 AM »
Kim, when I was flying controline a BabeBee .049 engine cost $3.95 and a Golden Bee .049 cost $4.95.

The models I built then were Scientific brand (Walter Musciano designed) semi-scale "balsa log" types. I think they also were in the $4 range.

Of course you also needed a control line handle and lines (Thimble Drone) and fuel (same) and a big 1.5 volt doorbell battery -- the tall red cylindrical type with screw terminals Eveready with a black cat logo. True it was a fair amount of money for a kid of the time, but do-able if you saved, and maybe did a lot of hinting near Christmas time!

Per I guess an .049 is a 0.8cc engine, so getting near the "expert level" to make.

At the time there were also a PeeWee and Teedee .020's, and even a Teedee .010. I never owned a Teedee -- those were more expensive.

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal