Author Topic: LBSC Canterbury Lamb - running on air  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: LBSC Canterbury Lamb - running on air
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2023, 10:25:19 PM »
Nice work on the tender Tim, it sure is cute! I wonder why the curved end? It seem that it would have more capacity if more square.

Dave

Offline TimB

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 10:54:39 PM »
Hi all,
I see the ‘cute’ tag is catching on!! :facepalm: :facepalm:

Canterbury Lamb is a homage to ‘Invicta’, a Stephenson loco built 1829, the twentieth he built. It ran on the Whitstable to Canterbury line for ten years or so from 1830. It remains somewhat preserved albeit in a poor state on public display in Canterbury I believe.

The curved tank on the tender is to LBSC design although a number have been built as suggested with square sides. It was the unique shape that caught my interest plus the castings were cheap from that well know auction site, although that is another story!!

I have been working on the boiler but work and real life have taken precedence for the last year so progress has been glacial to say the least.

Again if there is interest I can put the build log on here, a bit of a summary of the story so far then the boiler build.

Let me know what you think. Might have to call it the Cute Lamb build!!?? :facepalm2:
Atb
Tim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 12:13:19 AM »
Thanks for the history Tim, I will try to find a better adjective going forward, but it is cute. :)  I not a loco guy but I do look at, and follow along with all builds on MEM.
So if you wanted to put your build here I would enjoy checking it out and following along. Pardon my ignorance but what does LBSC stand for?

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 02:26:40 AM »
There's definitely interest!  ;D

Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2023, 08:25:48 AM »
Pardon my ignorance but what does LBSC stand for?

LBSC stands for: London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. But Tim is referring to a well know model locomotive designer who wrote in the UK Model Engineer magazine:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Lawrence .

He built 50 locos himself and did a total of 166 different designs.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »
Hi all,
I see the ‘cute’ tag is catching on!! :facepalm: :facepalm:

Canterbury Lamb is a homage to ‘Invicta’, a Stephenson loco built 1829, the twentieth he built. It ran on the Whitstable to Canterbury line for ten years or so from 1830. It remains somewhat preserved albeit in a poor state on public display in Canterbury I believe.

The curved tank on the tender is to LBSC design although a number have been built as suggested with square sides. It was the unique shape that caught my interest plus the castings were cheap from that well know auction site, although that is another story!!

I have been working on the boiler but work and real life have taken precedence for the last year so progress has been glacial to say the least.

Again if there is interest I can put the build log on here, a bit of a summary of the story so far then the boiler build.

Let me know what you think. Might have to call it the Cute Lamb build!!?? :facepalm2:
Atb
Tim

To add to this information the line it ran on was locally known as the "crab and winkle line" as Whitstable is a small fishing port. The loco is now in the "Whitstable Community Museum and Gallery"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:38:26 AM by Dalboy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal