Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

a strange steam engine

(1/4) > >>

Michael S.:
Hello,

The machine I'm building isn't finished yet, but people are already looking to the next construction site.
It is a small steam engine, actually there are even two, whose purpose I do not really recognize. What was it built for? What should drive her once?
There is a main engine with about 45 mm bores, which makes a back and forth movement with an eccentric.
A second small cylinder is mounted on the side and the crankshaft and connecting rod are missing.
it is hardly possible to mount a flywheel on the large crankshaft. The age of the machine is unknown. No metric threads.
I'm thinking about finishing the build. It seems some parts are still missing.
And what can drive the machine? 🤔

Michael

crueby:
That is an unusual one...   :thinking:   The eccentric off the back would not give a very long stroke like a power hacksaw would use. The posts up top look like there was some platform above the engine - makes me wonder if it was for some sort of sifting or tumbling/polishing operation? The lever off the back with the eccentric could drive a vibrating basket of some sort up top?

Jo:
Unusual :noidea: and rather interesting, I look forward to hearing if you find out more about it

Jo

vtsteam:
I'm going to guess that it might have been some kind of yarn or cordage spinning or spooling machine.

Michael S.:
Hello,
I took some time today and looked in the box where the disassembled machine is. A lot of rusty parts! Almost everything made of cast iron. I started cleaning them. With wire brush and sandpaper. I wonder why anyone put so much effort into making the castings to build this machine. I think it's unfinished.
My first goal is to rebuild the Great Cylinder. It is to be considered whether I should paint the parts with paint. Or leave everything as it is now? There are remains of black paint. But such a patina also has its charm! The attachment of the crankshaft bearings to the base plate is interesting. The nuts are square. In general, I can hardly assign the threads used. Definitely not metric threads. But the thread gauge for inch threads does not fit either. Before 1900 there was still this Löwenherz thread here in Germany. I still have to check that. Many nuts and bolts are missing. Some things have to be redone. The piston, but exactly 50 mm in diameter, has a very large groove. Wasn't meant for piston rings.
The crankshaft is made in one piece.
There's a lot to do before things start turning again.

Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version