Supporting > Tooling & Machines

Quorn grinder build finally coming onto the home straight...

(1/6) > >>

Chipswitheverything:
The castings for my Mark 2 Quorn grinder were bought from MES / Ivan Law, back in 1982, along with the motor, wheels and dresser.  Total cost was about £170, the Mark 3 one recently offered by Hemingway kits is about £700 for the equivalent, but I don't know if I had a bargain back then or not! 

Haven't got a lot of photos of the very protracted and occasional work on the build, a lot of it was pre digital camera.  Almost all of the components are now made, other than some items like the dedicated bolts and washers that are needed to assemble the ball ended levers to correct location, and there is the final assembly and general tweaking to be done. Got all those ball levers, and the wheel collets and tool holder done this autumn, just before it became too cold.

In the last few weeks I have filled, primed and wet and dry rubbed down the machined castings, four sessions of that, then a couple of coats of Tom Senior green paint ( I had some! ), similarly rubbed down; and now a final green coat. In truth, they are not anything like perfect now, but for a working Quorn they will do, I think. Any straying paint will be cleaned up in the assembly.  With my workshop basking at around zero degrees, and the new paint benefitting from sitting on the radiators indoors for a while anyway, the putting together will have to wait for a bit.

I have a little query about the electric wiring, when I am later able to do it.    I will follow the diagram in Prof Chaddock's book, as per the photo.  I have a centre off, two way switch to suit.   The diagram shows two white leads coming from the large capacitor:  mine as supplied has a brown and a blue lead. Shown in other photo. I get the feeling, but would be glad of confirmation, that I can wire these leads as if they were just the two undifferentiated white leads in the diagram, and that which goes where will only affect the running direction of the motor.  And can be swopped if necessary to make the direction accord with the switch?

When the Quorn does finally come together as a machine, I'll bung up some pictures and some build photos .  Dave

Jo:
Hi Dave,

That looks very smart  8)

If you read the print on the outside of your capacitor it explains that to reverse the direction motor runs you reverse the leads on the starting capacitor. You will get the same effect by swopping over the two wires for the running winding.

Jo

vtsteam:
Looking forward to final assembly and use. I like the color very much!  :ThumbsUp:  :popcorn: :cheers:

Chipswitheverything:
Hello Jo, thanks for your comment, ( and the encouragement from vtsteam as well ).  What you have said about the wiring , and the capacitor printing, not that easy to read all of it, indicates to me that I will be OK to wire as I planned to do. Dave

Kim:
Nice paint job!  And LOTS of handles!  :o

You're going to have a very nice Quorn there!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Kim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version