Author Topic: Hello from the Isle of Wight  (Read 931 times)

Offline springcrocus

• Steve's Britannia
Hello from the Isle of Wight
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:21:16 AM »
Good morning, gentlefolk, and hello from the Isle of Wight. My name is Steve and, although I have been a silent member for a good few years, events have prompted me to make my introductory post. I've been (and will continue to be) a regular contributor on another site that has "Engineering" in it's name but, nowadays, there is suprisingly little engineering going on. It's getting to be a rather boring place, to be honest, unless you want to read about the exploits of Elon Musk. This forum appears to have members that are actually making things, rather than spending all day being armchair engineers.

I originally joined because I was following the work of one of the members who has more castings under the bench than the rest of us put together (I wonder if you can guess who that is) and now particularly want to follow progress with Simplyloco's triple E which he continues to record on this forum. There's plenty here to keep me reading for a good while whereas a thirty-second visit to the neighbour confirms that there is nothing new that is of interest.

I'm not sure whether I will be able to bring anything of interest or value to the forum because I'm a bit of a knife-and-fork machinist, rather that one who polishes everything to destruction, but I will try and contribute where I can. Also, my main interest is locomotives and traction engines which, I expect, many of you come here to avoid. Anway, I'm going to delve deeper and get reading.

Regards to all, Steve
Member of a local model engineers society
www.stevesbritannia.co.uk

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Hello from the Isle of Wight
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 10:06:14 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

What have built? Photos of models and workshops are always appreciated  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »
 :hi: Steve,

Good to see you. Any chance of a couple of pics of some of your builds? And we would love to hear of any tales of manufacturing Cowells lathes or your brilliant ways of making things  :)

I don't know who might have lots of castings under a bench  :thinking: :pinkelephant:

How is your good lady? Did she make herself any of the cushions from those charts?

Jo
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:15:52 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 10:53:23 AM »
Like yourself I have been a lurker here for quite a while but also just started to post. At the moment I do not have a lot to offer in the way of knowledge as I am very much a beginner in model engineering.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 02:20:56 PM »
Welcome!   :cheers:

From one who is definitely knife and fork......   I kinda like that term. Somehow "meat and potatoes" doesn't quite fit lathe work.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:51:06 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 03:57:16 PM »
Hello Steve, and welcome to MEM. I have a feeling you are being a bit modest!
Regards,
Ron

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 04:35:01 PM »
Hello Steve, and welcome to MEM. I have a feeling you are being a bit modest!

Agreed. I've learnt quite a bit from our Steve!
John
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 05:58:20 PM »
Welcome, Steve!

Yes, would love to see some of your work!

And while it may be mainly disembodied engines that is the focus here, there are several here who have done/are doing locomotives, traction engines, and other types of vehicles.  So don't let THAT stop you :)

Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 09:12:22 PM »
Hi Steve
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline springcrocus

• Steve's Britannia
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 06:39:08 PM »
It's very kind of you good folk to accept me into your community although I'm sure the honeymoon won't last: there's a good few people over the road who think (probably correctly) that I'm an outspoken and opinionated idiot! I have a soft spot for the under-dog and don't hesitate to stand up for them.

Jo: Janice sends her regards. I know she made a couple because I have the photo's somewhere but I don't know where, one of the backup flash-drives. When I find them, I will post them up or email them to you. She's gone all hoighty-toity now with a CNC embroidery machine and, as usual, it's my fault when she screws it up. When I find your offchat section, I will post a couple of pics of her current cock-ups projects.

John: learning is a two-way street. Before I visited your workshop, I had never silver-soldered anything. Following your initial guidance and encouragement six or seven years ago, I've now completed my third boiler. Such is the strength of fora (forums?) like these for bringing people together to share knowledge.

Dalboy: how's that RobRoy coming along? My own workshop is a bit too cold to venture out to at the moment so nothing happening at present.

Steve: I use the term knife-and-fork because I use whatever tool will get the job done. It's amazing how accurate one can be with a hammer and chisel, and a club hammer is great for getting things to fit.

In the meantime, this is one of the last pictures I took of my 5" gauge Britannia with some plumbing to complete and the cab to paint.

I really must get it finished.

Regards, Steve
Edit: seems I have to learn a new way of posting pictures. I will change it when I find out how.
Edit-2: either someone has corrected my code so that the picture shows or there is some sort of time-delay before the code becomes active. If anyone could enlighten me, I would be grateful for the guidance.
Regards, Steve
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:31:14 PM by springcrocus »
Member of a local model engineers society
www.stevesbritannia.co.uk

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 06:57:30 PM »
Steve: I use the term knife-and-fork because I use whatever tool will get the job done. It's amazing how accurate one can be with a hammer and chisel, and a club hammer is great for getting things to fit.

Steve, apologies, I just looked at my post and instead of this:  :cheers: , for some reason there was this  :hammerbash: Not sure how that happened! I'm going to have to move from a "knife and fork" desgnation to straght out "ham-fisted" as a result. Anyway, welcome again! (properly)  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Steve

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 08:09:01 PM »
Jo: Janice sends her regards. I know she made a couple because I have the photo's somewhere but I don't know where, one of the backup flash-drives. When I find them, I will post them up or email them to you. She's gone all hoighty-toity now with a CNC embroidery machine and, as usual, it's my fault when she screws it up. When I find your offchat section, I will post a couple of pics of her current cock-ups projects.

That is good to know  :) I have posted a few of my other items here in the chatterbox section: https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8797.0.html she might find them interesting and it would be a good place for you to add some pics of her pieces.

CNC embroidery machine  :thinking: I don't think I could justify one of those (yet).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2023, 08:35:17 AM »

Dalboy: how's that RobRoy coming along? My own workshop is a bit too cold to venture out to at the moment so nothing happening at present.

Regards, Steve

Very slow hope to do something to it today as I had another piece in the mill I wanted to finish a boring job on first. I will be cutting out that piece of brass you kindly sent me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal