Author Topic: Farm Boy  (Read 12128 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Farm Boy
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 11:38:06 AM »
Good progress and great result so far  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 07:55:19 PM »
Thank you Admiral_dk

This bring me to todays work not had much time so managed to mark out for some of the machining to the rear base.
This is mainly to keep me on track as most of the work is carried out using the DRO.

Starting on the end that will eventually join the front still need to remove more from the two steps as can be seen as I have not reached the lines for these

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2023, 06:19:58 PM »
Only had a little amount of time in the workshop but did manage to get the joint done.

With the cutter I used I needed to machine 1" from the centre line but when I offered up the front section as I was machining it slipped on at 1.0021 which I am happy with.

Now to start machining the outsides down to size which have two protrusions on one side and one on the other.

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2023, 09:30:21 PM »
I'm following along closely!  I'm just completing the posting of my build and it's always interesting to see how others approach a project!

Great work so far!  I'm enjoying it.

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2023, 07:46:20 AM »
Coming along nicely  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 01:54:02 PM »
I'm following along closely!  I'm just completing the posting of my build and it's always interesting to see how others approach a project!

Great work so far!  I'm enjoying it.

Mike

That is what I do as a total novice at using these machines I am always learning. Mine is a bit slow as I am building the steam loco as well as trying to get the garden sorted after the winter which involves sowing hundreds of seeds which I also really enjoy doing

Thank you @Roger B

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2023, 08:23:02 AM »
Work on the Farm boy has been slow due to other things need doing.

I have managed to taper the rear frame with the aid of some angle blocks. I did drill and ream to final size the radius before cutting away the bulk of the metal to save time as well as reduce the amount of swarf it would have produced.

Reset the frame in the vice and machine out the gear side of the part I did not put a radius on the bottom as I did not have a bull nose bit of the correct size.

Next the other side need doing that being simpler as there is only the boss for the main crank.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 06:55:10 PM »
All of the outside machining done on the mill still need to do some drilling. Now to do the inside.

This is just a test fit and everything that should line up does. One more large piece to do and then it is all the small pieces that need making

I need to blue it up again to mark out the for the inside.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 11:39:26 PM »
Very nice!  That's a lot of work to get to this point!  I'm still following along  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2023, 03:24:54 PM »
Back on the build today as I have been busy with the garden and making a replacement back plate for my collet chuck, pictured with the old thinner one.

I treated myself to a roughing end mill and used that to rough out the rear frame and I am very pleased at how quick it removed material.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2023, 09:19:10 PM »
Machined the rear internal section to final dimensions by milling with a straight cutter and leaving a step in the bottom this was then followed with a 1/4" bull nose mill to give the corner a radius, and then reset to an angle of 8deg to machine the rear wall to correct thickness again using the bull nose to complete the internal corners.

Need to drill some holes as well as a curved section in the rear wall to allow clearance for the con rod to swing

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2023, 08:09:33 PM »
Only had a short time in the workshop today working on the Farm Boy. Rear frame main machining complete finished the rear cut out section for the con rod big end to revolve freely.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2023, 09:43:17 AM »
Very nice result so far  :ThumbsUp:   :cheers:

Per

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2023, 07:55:13 PM »
Very nice result so far  :ThumbsUp:   :cheers:

Per

Thank you I am a little slow as I have other things that need doing one of which is going out last week and giving a demonstration on woodturning.

Very little done today found a lump of ali chopped off a piece, squared it all round and machined to final thickness. Cut a piece off the end and cut this in half before machining the other measurements to the final size for the crankshaft top bearing blocks. See the first two pictures

I also spent some time cleaning up the inside rear corner which had a little step in it all be it less than 0.005 but still visible and it would have annoyed me seeing it even if it is partially hidden when this is complete.

Still one main large piece to machine then it is onto all the little bits and pieces which should be fun

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2023, 04:03:59 PM »
I am waiting for some BA fixings so that I can drill some of the holes in the rear section of the frame, so I thought I would start on the hopper assembly well the hopper top at least. The fitting I am using are the closest ones to what the plans state as BA are easier to obtain as well as I already have taps and dies in BA.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal