Author Topic: Farm Boy  (Read 12445 times)

Offline Dalboy

Farm Boy
« on: January 23, 2023, 12:22:33 PM »
I acquired a small amount of metal from a deceased model engineer most of it was ali as can be seen the large disks were all over 2 1/2" thick(the piece on the left is 4"diameter to give an idea of size) There was also brass and bronze rods all over 1" thick and the shortest 12" up to 24" long. So I looked around for a small project I could use some of it on. Finally decided on the Farm Boy engine.

Cut and squared up some of the ali into blocks so I had a datum to work from.

I also ordered a couple of flywheels.

Because of the Christmas break I needed something simple to get back into the workshop as I had been doing some woodwork and making Christmas present(which were well received) So I turned the pulley as it was not going to be put to work I make that out of a slice of the 4" bar.

Finally down to making a start on the front base so now the serious work begins. A small note in that I will be machining this along side a Rob Roy 0-6-0 locomotive

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Farm Boy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 03:02:59 PM »
That's a nice haul of "parts-in-waiting". I'll follow your progress with interest. :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Regards,
Ron

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 10:20:26 PM »
Yup, definitely going to follow along!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Steve

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 06:44:13 PM »
Managed some time in the workshop as I have been busy with other things.

Started with a small tidy up before setting up and machining one part of the main frame, thing hopefully will get done now that I have started back again even if it is not this but the Rob Roy.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 03:37:21 PM »
A little more done to the front body of the farm boy need to round over the top and hollow the centre out next. It is slow but then it is not a race I am just enjoying time in the workshop.

Offline Phil1965

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 07:29:21 PM »
This engine is on my to do list starting to gather materials. I’ll will be watching with interest.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 07:01:35 PM »
This engine is on my to do list starting to gather materials. I’ll will be watching with interest.
I kept looking at it after seeing someone build one on u tube and I had all of the material in my stock.

Anyway today set up and machined where the front and rear frames will join hopefully get some of the material out of the centre which means that I do not need to set up again as most of it can be done in this position.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 05:54:30 PM »
Started to rough out the bulk of the material, need to take it deeper then I will change the cutter for a smaller diameter and machine to the correct size before setting up on the rotatory table to do around the hole.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 05:17:37 PM »
Nothing done yesterday except make a mess turning down a lump of metal for a ER collet holder to fit the lathe.

I have managed to deepen the pocket and take it to depth width and to the position of the bottom. Still need to do the inside around the hole to the same depth and to bring the diameter to match the width. it will become clear when I do that.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 04:57:04 PM »
Finished hollowing out even though I made a small error in machining but that does not effect the finished engine

Next onto making an aid to help the next machining just a simple turned item

in place on the rotary table along with the part in position. Both the rotary table and the part need to be secured before any machining is done

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 06:14:59 PM »
it's starting to take shape :)

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 08:30:36 PM »
it's starting to take shape :)

Thank you Jason. Very slow but I am learning a lot from this and the Rob Roy I am building. Yes there has been the odd mistake.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 04:35:04 PM »
Spent the morning setting up the rotary table with the part secured to it. The afternoon was spent with a little machining as that part did not take as long as the set up. This means that the majority of the main machining on this part is complete just some holes to do and then onto the rear part which attaches to this. Not so much setting up.

Some pictures of the machining and then the part as it stands now

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 05:25:17 PM »
That looks really nice!  You've got a lot of operations into that part!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 08:15:23 PM »
That looks really nice!  You've got a lot of operations into that part!  :popcorn:
Kim

Thank you, I certainly learnt a lot of how to hold and machine the various operations on this piece.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal