Author Topic: Farm Boy  (Read 12477 times)

Offline Dalboy

Re: Farm Boy
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2023, 01:28:50 PM »
Machined out the water hopper. by doing this first it will reduce weight for when I machine out the through hole for the cylinder liner which will reduce any tendency to bounce the machine around(not that I think it will be much problem)

I did start on the mill but decided to transfer it to the lathe which is what I should have done to start with as I was getting a better finish to the bottom and also found it easier to get the right dimensions, I am still learning. A recess  was machined for the top to fit which I made the other day I did manage to get it just under 0.002" so a little heat to the hopper should allow it to slide in, that will only happen once all the machining and drilling is complete.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2023, 10:20:09 PM »
Over the last couple of days I managed to bore out for the cylinder liner as well as drill three holes to connect this part to the front base unit. The forth hole is for a oil passage with a recess for an O ring to seal it when they are bolted together

Marked out for the oil passage down to the cylinder liner

Set up and drilling of the oil passage using a couple of angle plates to set it at 18deg. Once set on the mill spot drilled and then drilled through to join the one on the joint

I needed to flip the part so I could countersink for some cap head bolts, after which reset the DRO to perform a 4 bolt pattern and lightly marked them ready for drilling and threading tomorrow. These are for the head fixing and as can be seen they are quite close to the other top bolt holes

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2023, 10:22:55 PM »
Eventually got back on the Farm Boy engine.

The two ends are machined to reduce material either side of the hopper section and leave a round boss either end. Once this was done I placed it on the mill with the intention of just removing some of the material from the bottom curve before mounting it on the rotary table to clean up, but I found that I got rid of the waste with very little clean up needed so rather than set up the rotary table I went down the route of filing the curve and then sand to remove the file marks.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2023, 10:53:37 PM »
That came out close to perfection  :praise2:

Per    :cheers:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2023, 01:11:38 AM »
Very nice work! That looks like one solid old workbench.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2023, 08:25:27 AM »
Thank you both I try to get things as close as I can when working with hand tools. Making wooden models I have had some practice as can be seen in the example below and my avatar picture, which is what brought me into metal working and wanting something which will take a little longer as most of the wooden models I have made take up to 2 months, except a rocking horse but that was due to a stroke.

Very nice work! That looks like one solid old workbench.

The old bench has served me well through many wooden models and other wood projects needs some attention now as can be seen by the many scares.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2023, 08:40:31 AM »
Good progress on the engine  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

I like the tractor  :)  :)  :wine1: Is the half track in your avatar also made from wood?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2023, 10:11:25 AM »
Good progress on the engine  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

I like the tractor  :)  :)  :wine1: Is the half track in your avatar also made from wood?

Yes it is this may be a better picture. Anyway back into the workshop as just popped in for a coffee need to keep the liquids flowing.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2023, 04:48:07 PM »
Those are some beautiful wood models!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »
Those are some beautiful wood models!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Kim
Agreed, great models!

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2023, 10:40:47 PM »
Thank you guys. Anyway today a few more holes drilled which enabled me to mount the hopper unit for a dry fit as well as place the rear section.

As can be seen the hopper unit has all the corners rounded off and the funnel fitted.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2023, 09:35:31 AM »
Your builds are to a high standard - lovely wood models and the Farm Boy is coming along nicely  :cheers:

Per

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
Your builds are to a high standard - lovely wood models and the Farm Boy is coming along nicely  :cheers:

Per

Thank you. The farm boy and the Rob Roy I am building is a steep learning curve as I have only had my lathe and mill for just under 2 years. Some experiences I was able to bring across from woodworking.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2023, 09:00:40 PM »
One of those days to day not having the right taps and dies for the farm boy so have changed the majority of the fixing sizes to BA as to buy some of the very small sized taps and dies works out expensive when they may not get used again or if they are only once or twice. I have plenty of taps and dies in many forms.
I checked my BA set and found that for some reason the 8BA did not have a bottoming tap which is a must. This was discovered after spending over an hour sorting through all of my loose ones so job one was to sort those out just need to label the box to make it easy to ID which is which.

Now this did not leave much time for working on the farm boy so all that was achieved was this simple square head screw, before ordering more bolts and other bits and pieces. And those that like a laugh I did order some brass balls OK they are for the governor.

Offline Dalboy

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2023, 08:25:24 PM »
 The hopper, front and rear frames are now complete all bar the assembly. Managed to complete all the holes including tapping where needed. Tomorrow I will join the front and rear sections with 4 screws and some metal epoxy this will then be the base unit done and I can add parts as i make them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal