Author Topic: Building Rudy Kouhoupt's Fore and Aft Compound  (Read 1082 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Building Rudy Kouhoupt's Fore and Aft Compound
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2024, 01:07:02 AM »
Nice!! What is the clamping gizmo in the first picture?

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 01:26:00 AM »
That is a Reglus drilling jig. This is the regular size, they also made a much larger model.

an absolute gem, no longer manufactured. Swiss made. I saved it from dumpster 2 years ago.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3JErFmpJ14" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3JErFmpJ14</a> is a great overview. Besides excellent for cross drilling it also provides setup for repeatable production. There are some more options not shown in the video (and which I also don't have).

Not inexpensive when they show up for sale.

gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 01:45:19 AM »
Thats quite a versatile tool!   Great find!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2024, 05:26:05 PM »
Sub assembly 3 of 10, the flywheel.
Labelled to be brass but I only have 2.25" bronze and beryllium copper. So used a piece of 2.5" mystery steel instead. Turns out to have 3 cracks going 1/8" deep, thankfully almost invisible.

Keyway broached to match the one on the crankshaft. I turned side one in the 3 jaw, it is a Bison that has very little runout. Finished side B and perimeter while mounted on a mandrel.

gerrit

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 01:51:36 AM »
Sub assembly 4 is the Guide Assembly. A collection of rather fuzzy parts, some a bit fiddly.

The Guide Supports are aluminum/aluminium. Layed out, the 3 .250" hoels were step drilled and then reamed to be a close fit on the emblature support rods. More layout followed by drilling 1.6mm holes for M2 bolts. And lastly carving out the final shape, first in the mill and then (forgot to take photos) in the vise with another hardened filing button. And everything fits as it should.

I started on the Guide Plates and related bits when someone on Instagram made a timely comment on a previous posting there, namely to remind me that "Any excuse to break out the Reglus' is a good thing. I had made the drill template as suggested by Rudy but was then trying to figure out how to clamp the relatively small plates to it for drilling.
So after the reminder I took a good look at the scale markings on the Reglus (never had need of them before) and then a close look at the hole layout on the parts. My next post will cover how that works and the beauty of this device as a repetetive precision drilling jig.

gerrit

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 04:02:13 PM »
After re-making one set of parts due to overly enthusiastic milling to size, it was time to drill all the holes. there is a stack of 3 items on each guide, and of couse it would be lovely if all the holes lined up to avoid filing to fit (that used to be my common go to even after match drilling, something always slipped :-))

After the reminder about more uses for the drilling jig, looking at the hole locations most were 0.094" from the corners. The Reglus comes with a flat bed that includes a moveable arm with vernier scale. The X axis has a stop with graduations as well, all relative to 0,0 in the bushing. With a #2 loupe it was easy enough to set the positions and then verify with a test part just to be certain.
For the thin parts I used a clamp to be sure they didn't move, the others were held in place securely between the drill bushing and platen.

The process then was drill, blow out swarf, flip part, dril, rinse and repeat. I then reset for the middle holes and cycled through the parts again. The end result was a very satisfying fit.
The X,Y location setting would be a very useful addition to any drilling jig.

I still need to decide which store to buy more metric model hw from. The 2 in Germany have best pricing for larger quantities but one still wants to charge VAT on outside-EU sales :-( So just using misc screws for now.

gerrit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal