Author Topic: A S.T. steam hammer build  (Read 9451 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: A S.T. steam hammer build
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2023, 12:45:07 PM »
Re. the small upstand formed on the base casting that Stuart supply, which fits the cast column,  would it be any use to you if I gave some measured details of my cast base ?, or would you feel happier anyway to leave the further bit of work until the casting actually materialises?   Dave
That would be great! I could use that to finish up the base now. Most appreciated!!
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2023, 06:50:18 PM »
Got both ends notched for the mounting flange, and then used some parallels to raise up one edge at a time to let me put a slight angle on all four vertical faces

Then used a small corner rounding end mill to ease the top corners all the way around. On the main top surface, I first used a square end mill to notch back the outer edges so the quarter-round would leave a better looking reveal line.

Next will be to drill the mounting holes at either end...

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2023, 09:51:53 PM »
Highly impressed, Chris,  by how this build is "forging" ahead!   Really, it's marvellous , and ingenious also.

Have measured up the cast base with care.  You can see how far CAD familiarity has progressed in this workshop...   The datum for measurements along is the back hole drilled in the mounting lug.  ( The horrible fractional inches will not please some discerning members..!! )   I have done all dimensions / holes,  on this casting accurately according to the Stuart drawing, which I include because my engine is built from old, original, ST of Henley-on-Thames castings.  Your more modern dwgs. I hope are the same, but might be best to correlate.

Any queries welcome .  Dave

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2023, 11:09:42 PM »
I guess that you're refering to me .... and I will admit that 23/32" doesn't make me a happy camper .... as it requires a Calculator to find 18,25625mm.  :Director:

And NO - that is not an error, as "," is the decimal sign in most of Continental Europe  ;D

Per

ps  still enjoying your build Chris  :cheers:

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2023, 11:54:39 PM »
The feeling is mutual, Per, after all 18 millimeters is 25.1968/32nds  :Jester:
Steve

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2023, 01:13:59 AM »
Highly impressed, Chris,  by how this build is "forging" ahead!   Really, it's marvellous , and ingenious also.

Have measured up the cast base with care.  You can see how far CAD familiarity has progressed in this workshop...   The datum for measurements along is the back hole drilled in the mounting lug.  ( The horrible fractional inches will not please some discerning members..!! )   I have done all dimensions / holes,  on this casting accurately according to the Stuart drawing, which I include because my engine is built from old, original, ST of Henley-on-Thames castings.  Your more modern dwgs. I hope are the same, but might be best to correlate.

Thanks very much Dave, that's very helpful!!  I can do a lot more before waiting for the casting for the column - will double-check your drawing with the modern one just to be sure but it all looks the same to me.
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2023, 01:14:31 AM »
The feeling is mutual, Per, after all 18 millimeters is 25.1968/32nds  :Jester:
At least its not in furlongs!   :ROFL:

Online cnr6400

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2023, 03:02:57 AM »
Hmm.....a digital caliper could probably be programmed and have a button to show dimensions in decimal furlongs and fathoms ......could be the next big thing on Amazoon!  :Lol:

I still have an old 6" toolroom steel rule marked down to 128ths of an inch. counting out 97/128ths gives you a quick appreciation of the humble digital caliper!  :cheers: 
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2023, 01:29:03 PM »

Just compared your plans with the ones I have, everything on the ST plans match, so I am going to use your additional measurements for the platforms & such - thanks very much!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2023, 02:07:29 PM »
Hi All, the more accurate you measure to ..AKA the more decimal places you use , the bigger the finished item becomes ??!! :lolb: :ROFL: ;). nice model ...
Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2023, 02:28:54 PM »
Hi All, the more accurate you measure to ..AKA the more decimal places you use , the bigger the finished item becomes ??!! :lolb: :ROFL: ;) . nice model ...
Willy
Or round up to the nearest foot.. !

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2023, 03:07:37 PM »
The feeling is mutual, Per, after all 18 millimeters is 25.1968/32nds

Huh?  18 mm is 22.68/32 in.  18/25.4 *  32 = 22.68
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2023, 03:17:56 PM »
I blame the computer....... :Lol:
Steve

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2023, 05:37:50 PM »
All those feets of engineering were British and American, and all those miles/mills of European ... //?!

Willy

Online Charles Lamont

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2023, 10:17:21 AM »
I still vaguely remember an early problem sheet at uni. To get us used to the dimensions of viscosity we were given some conversions to do. One was, IIRC, to ton acres per fortnight.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal