Author Topic: A S.T. steam hammer build  (Read 9382 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: A S.T. steam hammer build
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2023, 07:46:18 PM »
don't worry about the shipping time,, the shippers have most likely started work on building the vessel that will deliver it..(or plan to get around to it) :facepalm:
That launch model you are building is big enough to carry the casting... Is Slim getting his captains license?

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2023, 10:08:28 PM »
The hammer and gland look really great, Chris. I'm really looking forward to seeing it fitted to those castings. It's overall a really nice looking and interesting model. That C shape is really appealing, and it just seems like could be a fun toy to play wi.... I mean working historic demonstration model to have made!  :cheers:
Steve

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2023, 11:15:49 PM »
The hammer and gland look really great, Chris. I'm really looking forward to seeing it fitted to those castings. It's overall a really nice looking and interesting model. That C shape is really appealing, and it just seems like could be a fun toy to play wi.... I mean working historic demonstration model to have made!  :cheers:

Getting close to playtime, um, historic demonstration time!  I picked up some non-vintage peanuts in the shell to pl... demonstrate with.  :Lol:  If the casting doesn't show up in time I may need to get another bag.  :LickLips:

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2023, 03:28:55 PM »
Peanuts be damned.  I want to see it crack some macadamias.  Even the parrots won't touch those.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2023, 03:31:29 PM »
Peanuts be damned.  I want to see it crack some macadamias.  Even the parrots won't touch those.
Those things are more suited as projectiles for a muzzle loader, aren't they?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2023, 03:38:22 PM »
Got the control levers made - one is the hand lever to move the hammer, the other is an intermediate link that doubles as the auto shutoff at the top of the stroke when retracting the hammer. Both were milled out of some flat bar. Started with the hand lever, drilled the cross holes then turned the handle into the end on the lathe:

Then milled the sides down to dimension before angling in the other sides

The finished levers

Final parts I can make before the casting is the base and the anvil. Both were rough cut from a 1" thick flat bar of 1018 steel. Started on one end to mill in the step that forms the mounting flange to hold it to the base (or factory floor). Other end will get the same thing, then the top will get some raised areas for the column. Won't cut the raised area till I get the casting and I can measure its outline, the plans just show the dimensions for the hole locations for all parts, not the actual dimensions of all the faces on the pieces since they are assuming the plans are just used as part of the casting kit. A little hard to see in the picture, the step I am milling is pointed at by the red arrow.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2023, 04:32:39 PM »
I need to find a good website that shows seismograph read-outs for when you start testing that thing. Coming along great!
Regards,
Ron

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2023, 05:08:48 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2023, 06:52:59 PM »
Moving along, Chris!   :popcorn:

So have you heard anything about them shipping your casting yet?  Or are you settling in for another project while you wait the 2 years to receive your casting? :)

Kim

Offline tghs

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2023, 07:59:36 PM »
the heck with all these nuts, lets get some stone crab claws ready for this machine  :cheers:
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2023, 09:00:14 PM »
Moving along, Chris!   :popcorn:

So have you heard anything about them shipping your casting yet?  Or are you settling in for another project while you wait the 2 years to receive your casting? :)

Kim
Going to wait another week before pestering them again. So far they have been very responsive to emails, and they had said about now that the casting would be done. Unless its already on the way here (doubtful) I would expect that I'll be starting in on the Ohio engine when I finish this work on the base, then come back to it for the final column work and assembly, followed by scaring the shop elves in the middle of the night with Bigfoot calls and thumping 'footsteps'!   :LittleDevil:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2023, 09:00:55 PM »
I need to find a good website that shows seismograph read-outs for when you start testing that thing. Coming along great!
Doubt I'll be able to set off a volcano from this distance, but I'll give it a try!   :ROFL:

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2023, 09:01:35 PM »
Scrape the red stuff off matches and wrap it in aluminum foil and then hammer it with it.
With friends we put it on the tram track when we were children.....

Nice lever you have built there.

Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2023, 09:05:54 PM »
Scrape the red stuff off matches and wrap it in aluminum foil and then hammer it with it.
With friends we put it on the tram track when we were children.....

Nice lever you have built there.

Michael
It can be more fun to be a child when you are old enough to drive away from the scene of the fun, at high speed....   :LittleDevil:

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2023, 09:24:06 AM »
Re. the small upstand formed on the base casting that Stuart supply, which fits the cast column,  would it be any use to you if I gave some measured details of my cast base ?, or would you feel happier anyway to leave the further bit of work until the casting actually materialises?   Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal