Author Topic: A S.T. steam hammer build  (Read 9487 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: A S.T. steam hammer build
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2023, 09:00:19 PM »
Chris,

This is another build for me to follow closely as I have a set of Stuart steam hammer castings waiting in the queue.  They are ageing nicely.  In Jo's world they would be "being fondled" on a regular basis.

Colin
Get them out and join in!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2023, 09:01:35 PM »
here's a official drink mixer,, was made to run on air, rescued from some old lab gear,, I'm sure it did more than just experiments over the years...
Looks Slim is thirsty!  Is he putting on weight?   :lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2023, 09:02:33 PM »
Off to a rapid start again  :) I will try to keep up  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :wine1:
I don't want to go too fast on this one, I need to wait for the column casting...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2023, 01:25:28 AM »
Is the column flying business or coach Chris? (or rowboat , with some soggy shop elves - the ones that uttered the "avast swabbing there" comments about the rudder mockup)

Cylinder work looks great!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re Slim, and the mixer photo- he may be thinking about whether olives would fit in the flywheel holes....
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2023, 02:10:46 AM »
Is the column flying business or coach Chris? (or rowboat , with some soggy shop elves - the ones that uttered the "avast swabbing there" comments about the rudder mockup)

Cylinder work looks great!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re Slim, and the mixer photo- he may be thinking about whether olives would fit in the flywheel holes....
The column probably hasn't been cast yet, don't know how they will ship it. Are the postal strikes over there still going? They might have to slingshot it over the channel and mail it from there!   :Lol:   I might have to send my elves on a stealth mission to steal the plans for that cute little cement mixer!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2023, 02:55:30 AM »
Just FYI I ordered some detail parts for a train model from a firm in the UK about 3 weeks ago, and got them in the mail today. I think that was great service all the way from there. I guess the postal issues may be over, or at least they have the post functioning OK in the meantime. Maybe have the shipper mark the package "HOT PIZZA - HIGHEST PRIORITY"  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2023, 02:02:15 PM »
Just FYI I ordered some detail parts for a train model from a firm in the UK about 3 weeks ago, and got them in the mail today. I think that was great service all the way from there. I guess the postal issues may be over, or at least they have the post functioning OK in the meantime. Maybe have the shipper mark the package "HOT PIZZA - HIGHEST PRIORITY"  :Lol:
Mark the package like that and it will arrive empty!   :Lol:

In the past I've had packages from UK sent by other carriers like fedex and had them in a couple of days. Ones sent through pist office made it to US in four days, and another week sitting in US Customs in NY City. I don't know how this one will be sent.

Offline tghs

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2023, 03:36:58 PM »
there was some cyber hack on their postal system,, a couple of days ago I received an email from my flag making guy
(he does the best model flags by far, custom work) that my boat flag was done but the mail was messed up and would mail it when things were corrected.. but yes I have gotten orders from the UK in very good shipping times...
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 05:45:30 PM »
Some good progress on the steam hammer cylinder. As mentioned yesterday, I needed to trim off the side of the lower block to form the flat for the backing plate. Used a dial indicator to set the existing cylinder flat level to the mill, turning the rotary table slightly till it read the same across the flat face.

Then trimmed off the lower block, on the left in the picture, till it was flush with the flat on the cylinder

Unbolted the cylinder and took the faceplate and block over to the lathe, where I trimmed off the bottom flange (on the left of center in the picture)  to size, and then parted it off.

Gripped the part by the outer end and trimmed off the parted face, and also counterbored the hole out to 3/4" most of the way through to take the piston rod gland parts.

In the plans, they show making the holes in both the gland holder and the gland as round-ended/flat sided holes to keep the piston rod from turning as it is used. But, no indication of how to do that operation, and I've seen numerous ways to do it in other build threads. So, here is the way I picked: make two parts, a thin plate and the gland plate, both shaped on one end to that odd shaped hole, done on the mill with the rotary table and a tiny end mill. Then, the plate goes into the counterbored hole, then packing material (possibly some Viton sheet cut to the shape of the hole), then the gland to hold the packing tight.

I started by turning two pieces of bearing bronze to size for the plate and the gland. The width between the straight walls is 7/16, so the center of each was bored to that size. I used the tip of the boring bar to also cut a shallow recess at 1/2" diameter on the outside edge of each to act as a milling guide. The piston rod is 1/2" diameter with the flats milled into the sides.

Then, moved the chuck over to the mill, on the rotary table, and locked it down at 0 degrees. With a 1/16" end mill cutter in the collet, moved the cutter over to the center of one side of the hole till it just touched, and moved the mill table in and out to cut straight lines till they touched the 1/2" recess. Faces cut are shown by the red arrows.

Unlocked the rotary table, and milled the arcs between the flats till they just reaced the 1/2" guide edges, staying between the two flat faces. The cut shown by the red arrow is almost to the guide arc, you can still just see a line where it steps down.

Another couple light passes to sneak up on that edge, and then did the same cuts on the arc on the other side. Here is the result - you can see the arcs at either end and the flats in the middle.

Then did the same on the hole in the gland piece. Now, that tiny end mill is not very long, so I couldn't cut that deep into the bearing. So, the thin plate was parted off, and then the gland was counterbored to 1/2" from the back side, went in just till I met the oblong hole that was cut on the mill.

Here is the thin plate, shown on the bottom block, which has the 3/4" hole most of the way through.

And here the plate has been pushed into the hole:

Now, I COULD have made that plate as part of the larger piece, but I wasn't sure if it would work, and didn't want to risk ruining the whole block, so this is fine. The plate is just pushed into the hole - the gland cap with its matching oblong hole will do the work of keeping the piston rod aligned, its mounting bolts will keep it from turning. Next time will start on drilling/tapping the block and cap for the mounting holes, and will show the whole assembly then.
 :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2023, 06:41:58 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2023, 08:04:08 PM »
Same here:  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Steve

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2023, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks guys! 

The shop elves are currently arguing about whether one of these can put a popped piece of popcorn back in its shell...   :facepalm2:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2023, 09:28:35 PM »
with the right forge die, it might be possible.  :happyreader: But like freeze dried ice cream, just because you can doesn't mean you should.  :Lol:

Husk re-bonding may be an issue......  :thinking: ....... OK stopping the problem solving on this now!  :slap: :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2023, 09:33:05 PM »
with the right forge die, it might be possible.  :happyreader: But like freeze dried ice cream, just because you can doesn't mean you should.  :Lol:

Husk re-bonding may be an issue......  :thinking: ....... OK stopping the problem solving on this now!  :slap: :Lol:

Don't even think about machining the zipper to hold it closed, your head will explode!   :lolb:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2023, 11:39:20 PM »
Great looking cylinder, Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal