Author Topic: A S.T. steam hammer build  (Read 9377 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
A S.T. steam hammer build
« on: January 22, 2023, 06:51:11 PM »
Hi all,

This is a project I've wanted to do for a really long time, one of the Stuart Turner steam hammers. I remember seeing them in the ST catalog (remember catalogs?) back when I was just getting into machining, but never built one. A year or so ago I found out the ST sells the plans sheets separately from the kits, so I picked up the one for their steam hammer. The price for the kit seemed too high, since I can make just about everything from bar stock, but the main curved column would take a lot of time/material to make, so I ordered just one of those from their replacement parts list, and I'll make the rest myself. The current owners of ST said they didn't have any in stock, and hadn't cast any of that kit since taking over, they are currently updating the pattern to work with their new process (don't know what that is, just repeating what they said) and they should have it cast around the end of the month. They have been very responsive to emails, hoping that is a good sign.

In the meantime, the shop elves have been studying the plans and plotting out how to make things. Hope I can read their handwritten notes, their writing is really small!

The cylinder will be first, I did a little doodling in Fusion to sketch out how to make it from bar stock, and given the size of bar I have on hand it will likely turn out to be a slightly larger bore than the original but the same general shape. The one change I am going to make is to make the valve be a D-type slide valve rather than the spool valve, I like the D valves a lot better, much easier to get a good seal.[/font][/size]

So, on with the build! Started by cutting a couple lengths of some 2-1/4" brass bar, for the cylinder and the stuffing box below it. A flat plate will be attached to the side of each to form the mounting flanges. Started out with them drilled/tapped on one end to mount on a faceplate, and turned the outside of the cylinder.

Then moved the cylinder, still on the faceplate, over to the mill to cut the flat down the side:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: A S.T. steam hammer build
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:55:28 PM »
Note: If the images from the last post are not showing for you, are you running FireFox browser? Images from the hosting service PostImage don't seem to be working in Firefox today, I've contacted them about it. They are showing for me in Edge and on my tablet in Chrome fine. Tried all the usual stuff, restarting, clearing cookies/cache, safe mode, all that. Something has changed on their end as far as I can tell, unless you are able to see them from Firefox?   :headscratch:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 06:59:43 PM »
Chris,

I can see your pictures on Firefox and Win XP  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 07:12:34 PM »
Pictures are working in my Firefox, all is well - and off to a great start!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 07:14:39 PM »
Very odd, I still can't see them on my Firefox.    :shrug:   Glad you are seeing them!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 07:32:23 PM »
I can't see two of the images in either Firefox or Seamonkey on Linux. I do see the first image (of the elves reading the plan.)

The addresses of the two non-viewing images are...(https :  // removed so they don't become links)

i.postimg.cc/W39v80t3/IMG-2851.jpg
and
i.postimg.cc/L5nMbhZV/IMG-2852.jpg

The visible image for me is:
i.postimg.cc/P5jnqnyM/IMG-2847.jpg
The two you can't see are the ones I added today, the other one was there yesterday and was probably in your cache.  Hmmm, that tells me it must be something on their end. Thanks!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 07:43:39 PM »
Chris, correct, I refreshed the cache, and the first one is no longer visible.

What OS are you using -- I'm on Linux.
Firefox is ver. 109.0 64bit (current)
I'm on windows 10, but same version of firefox as you. On same PC, the Edge browser shows them fine. Also on tablet with Chrome its okay. Just started this today - I have sent a couple emails to the image host website, will see if they can tell, probably tomorrow at earliest.

Images others posted recently, like the bird on Jo's gardening thread, also dont show from same photo host site, so its not just my images.

Thanks!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 08:18:30 PM »
Good to know, thanks!

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2023, 08:26:06 PM »
I use both Firefox and Postimages. I'm seeing all the pics, including the one I posted this morning.

New project looks to be off to a great start. Will be following, as always. :popcorn: :popcorn:
Regards,
Ron

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2023, 10:46:12 PM »
Thanks guys! They seem to have fixed whatever it is, I'm seeing all of them again. It was really worrying when I couldn't see my images on their site directly too! 

Appreciate the help figuring out if it was me or them, take two packs of cookies out of petty cash!   :Lol:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 12:08:38 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:   :cheers:

Great to see the new build start! You'll have the machines and furniture jumping off the floor in no time.  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 02:00:41 AM »
Chris is it big enough to do some actual work on sheet metal?
Steve

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 02:18:38 AM »
Chris is it big enough to do some actual work on sheet metal?
Big enough for small eheet metal anyway!   :Lol:   The cylinder is 1.25" bore, 3" tall as I am making it, plans show 1 inch bore. So a fair bit of power for a table top model.

Only a couple inches at most of depth from column to the anvil. The real ones were used more for forging hot metal than sheet work. This one would be able to do rivets and flattening ends of bars, as well as shelling peanuts and such. Should be a lot of fun with a roll of caps too! Ping pong ball compacting. Thinning shop gnomes for mailing...

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 02:32:50 AM »
It would be great for walnuts. :ThumbsUp:
Steve

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 07:18:07 AM »
I'm seeing OK on Chrome

Regarding the change of valve type I had a feeling that I read somewhere the reason the hammers use a spool valve is that as the hammer hits that is much like the piston on a D valve engine hitting a hydraulic lock. On the D valve engine the valve will lift to avoid damage by forcing the piston against the solid liquid, on a hammer you don't want it to loose all its force when it hits the item you want to hammer.

Also you don't really want your nuts too big, better to let the piston have time to get moving before it hits anything, if the item only just fitted below the hammer you would just stall it. probablt 1" would be the max you could fit giving the hammer room to lift and then come down onto the work with reasonable force. Bit like driving a 16D nail where you don't have room to swing the hammer more than a couple of inches
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:50:50 AM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal