Author Topic: Snowscape  (Read 1145 times)

Offline vtsteam

Snowscape
« on: January 20, 2023, 09:45:18 PM »
I've seen a lot of snows here but the one that fell last night was particularly beautiful. Just thought I'd share views in different directions from the porch this morning:

Steve

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: Snowscape
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 10:19:44 PM »
That is an amazing scene to watch change with the seasons. Have you thought about setting up a fixed camera mount and taking one or two pictures each day for a year to turn into a movie? I would enjoy watching it.
Lee

Offline Davyboy

• Merrill, Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 10:21:53 PM »
Great pics.  We got 6 - 10 inches here in Wisconsin yesterday.  It always looks nicer after the plowing is done.  I like the John Deere.  I'm envious of your location, both locally and regionally.  Is that in Vermont, vtsteam?  I've never been to the northeast, someplace I'd like to visit.
Davy

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 01:05:55 AM »
Beautiful! I miss scenes like that, but not the cold or the shoveling!
Regards,
Ron

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 03:23:52 PM »
Thanks Lee, Davy, Ron.  :cheers: Truly unusual is that the snow is still on the trees again this morning. Usually wind or rising temps destroys that type of attachment fairly quickly. It only happens rarely like that, with each individual branch distinct. A combination of wet sleet cooling and forming a rough surface on the twigs first, then fluffy light snow sticking to that and building up over many hours.

Lee, I hadn't thought about photographing each day and making a movie here. Sounds like a neat idea. So much to do here, though, I think just a once in awhile photo will be the best I can do.

Davy, yes it is Vermont... the very southeastern corner. Somehow I imagine Wisconsin must be similar, but I don't really know, as, well, like you, I've never been there!

Ron, I'm with you on the cold...I seem to be getting more "allergic" to it with each passing year! But this is home. Built it myself -- even cut trees and sawed the wood for it, so hard to imagine leaving it.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 03:43:43 PM »
It's hard to give an impression of what it really looks like with every branch covered. Here's an enlargement of a corner of the tractor photo, and even that doesn't really show it the way it looks. By the way, for scale, those hemlock logs are 16" diameter. Some of the white pines in other photos are 100 feet tall.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 03:46:52 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 05:52:15 PM »
That does look beautiful, Steve!

But I'll let you guys keep the cold and snow up in the northeast there.  I like my (generally) temperate climate.

Kim, official weather weenie

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 06:10:50 PM »
Perhaps if you set up an automatic camera to take pictures when you aren't free to do so, you might, just might get a snap of bigfoot. Does he/she live near you?

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 06:29:42 PM »
Sorry Kim, but we just sent a package of cold to you before we realized. Well, maybe you can re-gift it!   :Jester:

Don't blame you at all of course for enjoying temperate climate. I just spent a couple hours out in a sub-freezing workshop trying to finish up the rotary table. I couldn't take any more. Feet were frozen, so back up the (admittedly beautiful) hill and into the warm house to type this. I feel like I'm working at a glacial pace on projects here. So to speak!  :lolb:

Lee, we don't have bigfoot -- that's out nearer Kim, but Lake Champlain, which runs down a large part of the state has Champ, a lake monster. So they say. I believe a searcher's ability to view it is enhanced by alcohol.
Steve

Online tghs

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 08:34:02 PM »
a winter photo from North Carolina this morning, (someone on another sight wanted to see a holly tree) cheers (I did grow up in Minnesota and Wisconsin, once spent a january in northern china and got an entirely new concept of the word cold)
what the @#&% over

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 10:23:01 PM »
Those are fabulous snowscapes. Such scenes do help the winter become more bearable. Although heating is perhaps even better, but such views take your breath away (along with sheer cold of course).
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2023, 02:58:16 AM »
tghs, that is a familiar scene, too. I lived in Murfreesboro one winter in the mid 70's.

Twenty years later took a homemade houseboat from Portsmouth, VA down the intracoastal across Florida and up to Punta Gorda where I stayed for a time on the Peace River. In North Carolina, I well remember weathering a bad December storm in Belhaven, and a white knuckle crossing of Albemarle Sound, and a rough escape down the Alligator River.  :wine1:

Thanks kindly, propforward, happy to share that kind of rare occasion even here.  :cheers:
Steve

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2023, 11:06:46 AM »
With all that snow around, I thought that perhaps I could add a little balance to the forum.  After all, we are an international group.  And for half of the world, it is summer.

So a picture taken today, early afternoon.  A very pleasant 21 C.

Mind you it’s a strange warmth on this part of the coast, the wind hails straight from Antarctica, the nearest land to the south, and feels like it, but the sun will burn you without lots of sunscreen (SPF 50+).  So, out of the wind in the car, or even outdoor windbreaks, all the warmth you can handle, but in the shade, the wind feels very cold.  Needless to say, all the young ones are swimming, and the girls all prefer a bikini rather than a wet suit.  And the temperature of 21 is only part of the story.  Inland a few km, the temperature is much more uniformly warm.

Mind you later in the week, the forecast is for high thirties even here, and we will be glad to send you some.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2023, 01:02:13 PM »
Very nice - I look forward to the warm weather returning. Generally I think I handle the cold better than extreme heat. But when it is -20F (or colder) outside I must admit that I forget that.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 02:39:29 PM »
That looks great MJM460!  :cheers:

Unfortunately today is going to have to be a day of preparation since we're predicted to get 5 to 8 inches more snow overnight and 2 to 4 tomorrow, turning to rain in the afternoon.

This is a bad situation since the trees still have that heavy layer of ice and snow on them. They are not going to take much more weight before limb's and whole trees come down. I expect power outages with limbs breaking lines, so I'll get the Lister type generator ready.

The tractor generally plows up to 8" of snow, but more becomes difficult to move and place. We still have 2" down from the last storm (I plowed once but there was additional after). We live in the woods with 600 feet of driveway to plow to get to the road.

So I'm going to need to get plowing done today for the small amount already down, in anticipation of possibly 8" overnight. Then again early in the morning. And possibly a third time during tomorrow day before it turns to rain (and the resultant slush freezes again to ice.

My daughter is going to try brushing the snow off of ornamental bushes and fruit trees with a broom today because  they won't take more weight. All in all, I think we will be well prepared, but machining projects might be taking a back seat today.
Steve

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 03:34:43 PM »
Ah... the joys of winter weather!

I hope you don't lose power, Steve.  :zap:

Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2023, 03:57:33 PM »
That ice stuff is what I most don't miss. We had a tall pine tree in our MD backyard. In a snow-followed-by-ice storm like you describe it started raining large branches. As soon as I could I had that tree taken down before it killed someone.
Regards,
Ron

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 08:48:59 PM »
Power went out some time last night. I woke at 4:30 and realized we were out. House was 58 F. No problem. Stack of wood into the woodstove, some embers left made for a quick startup. Power came back a half hour later (surprising).

Didn't want to wake the rest of the family, so back to bed, and up again at 7:00. Breakfast and coffee. Looked like a foot of snow already. Started up the '51 Deere and plowed. REALLY sticky snow, and hard to push. I had to scrape everything in thirds. Three passes to ground. 600 feet of drive took me 3 hours to break through to the road. I was wearing a hard hat because tree limbs were popping everywhere. Not that it would have done much good if a big pine limb snapped off 70 foot up.

Got the drive plowed, and by the time I swung back to the house, 3 inches more had fallen where I'd started. Inside the family reported two mor brief outtages, but power was back. Had lunch, and we could hear the big pine limbs popping outside. Power went out again, this time for good.

Out to the side shed to start the 6/1 Metro engine, a 600 pound 6 hp diesel with two 24" flywheels. Real 6 spoke ones. Similar to the old Listers. Got her started, putting steadily away at 600 rpm. That's real music!

I'd say this was a bad day, but you know, actually, it's a good one. Inside a warm house, engine quietly thumping in the distance, quite soothing actually. Cup of tea. My wife baked cookies. Here I am typing on the Internet even with power out. Trees are taking a beating, but there are so many of them. Most will survive.

It's supposed to keep snowing til 6 pm or so, and winds will be increasing. Maybe that will help the trees, though it will break some up, too. Weather is weather. We live in it.

Tomorrow I will plow again. Another storm is predicted for Wednesday. Okay. We're ready.
Steve

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2023, 11:39:24 PM »
Hope you get your power back soon, Steve.  Not much fun living like pioneers!  (Even pioneers with internet access!)

Glad you got the driveway plowed.  Sorry, you'll have to do it again tomorrow (and the next day, and the next it sounds like).

Enjoy the cookies!  You deserve them!

Kim

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 02:28:30 PM »
Thank you kindly Kim, OK, we're back to the twentieth century again. Haven't quite decided if i like the twenty first yet....   :Lol:
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal