Author Topic: Hi from the UK  (Read 955 times)

Online Dalboy

Hi from the UK
« on: January 20, 2023, 12:08:06 PM »
I have been lurking for quite a while that is before I enlarged my workshop and buying a lathe and milling machine for my first endeavors into metal bashing. I had quite a good setup in the old workshop but this is for woodwork and wood turning where I turned plenty of bowls and the like as well as making wooden models and toys as well as other odd bits and pieces.
It was from making models from wood that lead me into wanting to make some in metal so hence the new larger workshop and new machines.
I have started a Rob Roy loco and a Farm Boy engine so that if I get held up in one build I can do work on the other.

Just to give an idea of what I made in wood so that you can now see why I wanted to start making in metal which can also be run. This is just a very small selection of my makes. I did have a small hiccup while making the rocking horse as I had a stroke half way through the build and it was wanting to finish it that helped me through that time.

I hope to learn plenty while here

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Hi from the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 02:42:20 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Those are some fine models  :praise2:

Do you have any pictures of your workshop and engine models?
Best regards

Roger

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 03:54:07 PM »
Hello and welcome to MEM! Those are great wooden models you did, very impressive.

I used to do a bit of wood turning and other wood work myself, and still have my 1948 Montgomery Wards lathe, still with it's original motor. I just don't have room to set it up currently, nor room to deal with all the shavings generated! Nearly all metal these days.
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 07:04:31 PM »
Welcome to MEM!

Some very nice woodwork there!  Beautiful models and nicely finished too.
Finishing is lways my least favorite part of woodworking (or metal working for that matter!)

Kim
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:36:44 PM by Kim »

Online Dalboy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 07:18:34 PM »
Two views of the workshop and The chassis of the Rob Roy and some of the farm boy engine Will post more in the relevant section as I progress

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 07:32:18 PM »
Looks like a great setup - looking forward to more on the build!

Offline tghs

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 07:45:45 PM »
nice looking shop!!!, were do people find these clean and organized shops.. (I feel good that I spent some time putting like things in little trays this week!!!)
what the @#&% over

Online Dalboy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 09:26:53 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome.

nice looking shop!!!, were do people find these clean and organized shops.. (I feel good that I spent some time putting like things in little trays this week!!!)

I can assure you that it is not always like that I do tend to clean up everyday even if I am going to make more mess otherwise bits and tools disappear in a flash

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 10:15:03 PM »
Dalboy welcome! I like your wooden John Deere tractor -- I have a 1951 Model M which is practically in daily use. In fact there's a coincidental pic of it today in the Chatterbox section of the forum in a thread about last night's snowfall here.

I also admire your shop!! Looking forward to seeing your builds here.  :cheers:
Steve

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 12:20:23 AM »
Welcome to MEM!
Nice shop and projects!

Dave

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
Thanks for posting photos of the excellent and interesting woodwork projects, and also the pictures of the very neat and well arranged workshop. Your workshop shed must be a reasonable size to combine the two disciplines of wood and metal, but though I enjoy woodworking, I have had to keep those activities pretty much away from the model engineering shop, dust heading in one direction, oily grime in another....  Look forward to more info on your builds, Dave

Online Dalboy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 11:07:44 AM »
Thanks for posting photos of the excellent and interesting woodwork projects, and also the pictures of the very neat and well arranged workshop. Your workshop shed must be a reasonable size to combine the two disciplines of wood and metal, but though I enjoy woodworking, I have had to keep those activities pretty much away from the model engineering shop, dust heading in one direction, oily grime in another....  Look forward to more info on your builds, Dave

It is only 20' X 10' I do run dust extraction in there which helps keep the wood dust down the oil and grime is at the opposite end so that stays where it is. The only thing that does transfers is swarf that gets on my footwear. I have a door mat so I can wipe my feet when leaving the workshop reducing transfer to where I change that. I use slip on footwear for the shop making that a simple task.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal