Author Topic: Chris's Ship Steering Engine Complete  (Read 1712 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Chris's Ship Steering Engine Complete
« on: January 19, 2023, 04:49:48 PM »
All done!  The paint on the engine bed bolts is done, the name plate is attached, time for final photos and videos to wrap up the build.
To recap, back last spring I went to the antique engine show at Mystic Seaport Museum, displaying my Sabino engine based on the one in their steamship. They were demonstrating a number of the engines in the museum collection, including one like I had never seen before:

At first I thought it was some sort of anchor winch, but the spiral grooves on the drum didn't match that type. When they operated it, by turning the handle just visible in the upper right of the photo, the drum went back and forth with the handle movement (was designed to have the steering wheel connected from up above onto that shaft). I was intriqued, it was a giant steam servo! After I got back home and mentioned it on the forum here, forum member Michael posted a couple pictures of the real steering engine he restored and owns, rescued from the scrap pile after it was taken off one of the river sidewheelers on the Elbe River in Germany:

That started a great conversation, and I knew I had to build a model of it. He supplied drawings of the original engine, lots and lots of photos of it during his restoration, plus videos of it running. This is the type of ship that it was used on:

There are still a number of the ships running tours on the Elbe, and there are videos of them and their steering and main engines online.
So, I started drawing it up in 3D CAD to make model plans from, based on all that information, here is one of the screen captures from that:

To help understand how it works, also did this cutaway version:

Its quite an interesting mechanism, with the steering wheel turning the inner upper shaft, which moves a follower connected to the control valve. As the engine comes on, it turns the lower shaft with a large gear that turns the outer upper shaft, which via a half-lap drives the follower back the other way, turning off the engine when it meets the position that the wheel is now at. The control valve swaps the steam and exhaust between two pipes leading to the cylinders. The valves on the cylinders are spool type (aka piston valves), and the swapping of the steam/exhaust flow makes them swap between inside admission and outside admission, which reverses the direction on the engine. Quite clever how they did it! Here are diagrams that show how that works. First, a diagram showing the parts:

When the control valve is in the stop position, the control valve sends nothing to the cylinders:

When the control valve moves up, it sends steam down the lower pipe and takes exhaust back from the other, making the spool valve work in Outside Admission mode, running the engine one way.

When the control valve is moved down, it sends steam through the upper pipe, making the spool valves work in Inside Admission mode, running the engine the other way:

Here is the completed engine (full build log is over in the other section on the forum)

Behind the model the chains lead back to a 'rudder', to show how it operated from the engine. This setup is based on pictures from the real ship.

Closeup of the gear/control mechanism:

Here is a video showing the engine in operation, moving the 'rudder' behind it back and forth with the steering wheel. The engine cycles on and off and self-reverses as needed.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKp-J9aGXiA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKp-J9aGXiA</a>
When the engine or boiler is down and the steering engine cannot be used, it has an option to steer manually with no power assist. This clip shows how that works. Dog clutch on the lower shaft is disengaged and the one on the steering wheels is engaged, and the large wheel has a screw that clamps onto the outer upper shaft, locking all of the shafts and screws together. That way the control valve is bypassed, and the large gear on the lower shaft and its attached chain sprocket are moved. The larger steering wheel gives more leverage for the helmsman (or possibly two helmsmen) to move the rudder and steer the ship.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDB4yCTMns" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDB4yCTMns</a>
Thanks very much to all who followed along and helped out! Biggest thanks to Michael for all his help, information, pictures, and drawings! Without his help this project would not have been possible.

Chris :cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Chris's Ship Steering Engine Complete
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 05:47:17 PM »
At the risk of repeating myself I'll just go ahead and say, Beautiful job Chris!  Amazing work on drawing up the plans and producing such an interesting and unique engine!   :NotWorthy:

Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 07:55:41 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Great job Chris!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Baltic

• Mt Doran, Vic Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 07:56:13 PM »
Wow, what a great project, !!
Thanks for sharing your your build log, fantastic workmanship,  :cheers:

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 08:17:06 PM »
Thanks if you do that with the magazine.

And what's next?
Will a new curtain rise tomorrow?

Michael

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 08:38:56 PM »
Thanks if you do that with the magazine.

And what's next?
Will a new curtain rise tomorrow?

Michael
Very possible. Or not. Tune in and see!   :Lol:

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 08:39:19 PM »
Congratulations again, Chris. Another unique model extremely well done. :cheers:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 10:25:22 PM »
Another brilliant job, done in a flash.

Offline samc88

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 11:35:26 PM »
Nice one Chris! Looking forward to your next project

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:00 PM »
Very nice project Chris and thanks for the explanation of how the rudder was controlled manually without the engine.  I was going to ask but you anticipated the question perfectly!
Mike

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 12:20:00 AM »
Very nice Chris!
Another amazing project complete!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 12:33:02 AM »
As always Chris top notch work and a pleasure to follow along.   :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 02:08:22 AM »
Thanks very much guys!

Mike, I didn't anticipate, George asked about that the other day!   :Lol:   Early on Michael had to explain it to me too! 

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 12:26:33 PM »
As always a great project worked to a fabulous completion. Thanks for the journey. :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :whoohoo: :whoohoo:

Ron

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 01:43:13 PM »
Thank You for posting this project.

I had no idea such a mechanism existed, but a little thought brings up the idea that something like this would have to exist.

I admire your desire to model things that are not mainstream, but are incredibly interesting in their own right.

I will be waiting to follow whatever you attempt next.

Congratulations on a successful job.

ShopShoe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal