Author Topic: 1/2 Size KyKo Hot Air Engines  (Read 7149 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: 1/2 Size KyKo Hot Air Engines
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2023, 01:25:35 AM »
Beautiful work, Dave!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2023, 11:49:18 PM »
Thanks Kim!

Dave

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2023, 10:07:40 AM »
Thank you for the update and good work you share  :ThumbsUp:

Still following  :cheers:

Per

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2023, 11:42:47 PM »
Thanks Per!

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2023, 11:32:11 PM »
Hi Guys

Well I decide to go ahead and bond the power cylinder covers in place using JB Weld.

I think this will give a better appearance to the cylinder when sanded out and painted.

More later,
Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2023, 12:18:08 AM »
Hi Guys
Time for an update on the Kyko project, I have made pretty good progress on both the power and displacer pistons.

The JB Weld has been sanded out and I’m pleased with the results. The power cylinder covers were matched to the casting before they were bonded in place. Hopefully when painted the cylinder casting will appear to be one piece like it was on the original engine.

Next up was to get going on the power piston rod assembly. I chose to machine the big end from solid rather than soldering a bunch of small bits together. Like on the other parts that hold a bearing a lubricator boss was added to this part to better match the original, each boss will get a small knurled grease cup. In this photo the first side is machined, might as well do them both at the same time.

Then the part was flipped over and the other side machined.

The bores for the ball bearings were finished with a boring head.

Here the bulk of the frame was removed to allow access to other features of the part.

The holes for the camp screws were added along with the spot face for the screw head.

Over to the UPT the bottom half of the holes were tapped.

Then the rod end was split using a saw, also you can see that I have finished the bore where the rod screws in as well as the boss for the grease cup. I guess I didn’t do a very good job in the picture taking department.

Here is the completed rod assembly, I didn’t take any photos of the machining but it is all pretty standard stuff.

Here is a slightly different view, the brass round head is temporary and will be replaced with shop made hardware to match the other machined hardware on the engine.

Moving on to the power piston, I chose to use graphite for its self lubricating qualities. The pistons were roughed out leaving the outside oversized to be finished later. I did turn them to a standard collet size, (1 1/6”).

Here the pistons have been flipped around, faced and the hole for the retaining screw drilled and countersunk.

A snug fitting mandrel was turned from Delrin AF to allow the OD of the piston to be finished.

Now on to the displacer pistons, starting with solid aluminum stock the inside was drilled and bored leaving a nice flat bottom hole. I didn’t photo it, after boring the part was flipped around and faced to length leaving a .02” wall thickness at the bottom, the sides will also be this thin.

A mandrel was turned from brass to hold the tube for further machining.

Here the tube has been slid onto the mandrel and a pressure piece added between the tube bottom and live center.

The piston was then carefully machined to the final size.

The caps were roughed out in the lathe and then to reduce weight trepanned using the mill. This was quicker and easier than grinding a cutter for the lathe.

Here are the parts ready for assembly using Loctite.

After the Loctite cured, the pistons were carefully returned to the lathe where they were faced to length and tapped for the rod.

Here is a shot of the finished piston assemblies. They weigh in a whopping 17 grams including the rod. The aluminum parts by themselves only weigh 12 grams. The plans suggested silver soldered brass which would be quite a bit heavier than the aluminum, close to 4X so I think the aluminum will be a better choice both thermal and mass reasons.

Thanks for stopping by, more later.
Dave

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2023, 01:37:13 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous work, Dave! :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2023, 05:26:32 AM »
Nicely done, Dave!  You're work is always a pleasure to follow - such crisp clean work!  It's truly amazing!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2023, 10:46:51 AM »
Love to see your work -> beautiful parts  :praise2:

+ nice description of the process too  :cheers:

Per

Offline SteamR

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2023, 12:48:20 PM »
Very good craftmanship, Dave

Richard

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2023, 02:14:52 PM »
Dave does the Graphite need any special tooling or methods? I've just started on a hot air project and might give it a try.

Don't worry you do a good job with the photos, some times it is hard to remember to stop and take one.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2023, 11:20:50 PM »
Thanks for all the very nice comments guys, they are always appreciated.

Jason; I just use the same positive inserts (TCGX) that I use of most everything. It is a good idea to keep the vacuum close to the cut as the fine black dust gets everywhere and smears when you try to wipe it up. What type of hot air engine are you building?

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2023, 06:53:28 AM »
1/5th scale Denny Improved. I read the 1/4 scale one that is available has issues with the plans and castings so decided to do my own thing drawing it up from Patents

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2023, 01:45:53 PM »
Jason
That is a nice engine, I once had a set of iron castings for the 1/4 scale engine that I sold to my buddy Max. He made a nice running engine from them, and I do remember there were some issues with some of the linkage, but he was able to  work through that.
If I remember correctly that plans had the hot cap being fully made from copper, it conducted so much heat up into the cold side of the engine that it would not run very long . He made a new hot cap from SS which solved that problem. Next time I visit him I will snap a photo of it.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2023, 02:42:16 PM »
Yes they have it as copper with a stainless bottom, mine will be all stainless. If it is the same guy you have shown other engines of them I'm sure he did a good job.

I did do a rough layout of the 1/4scale parts and as you say some of the linkages are not right and there are other parts that just won't fit together.

Early days but I did get the furnace base done on the CNC while waiting for some gear cutters to come for my RLE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal