Author Topic: 1/2 Size KyKo Hot Air Engines  (Read 7168 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 1/2 Size KyKo Hot Air Engines
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2023, 11:45:29 PM »
Nice set up Dave!   I like that a lot!!!

Definitely filing that away in the memory bank with that frame.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2023, 11:50:42 PM »
Thanks Dave!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2023, 02:34:28 AM »
Dave, your replacement parts look far better than the castings!  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Well done!

Kim

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2023, 07:37:02 AM »
Very nice Dave, I like the use of the "picture frame" which almost makes the part self fixturing and always gives a ref surface. I have only used this method a couple of times (pipe elbows) but see you do it quite often so will think about using it some more.

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2023, 09:23:18 PM »
Love the setup and resulting part + as already mentioned, quite a smart way of doing it  :ThumbsUp:

Per      :cheers:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2023, 11:49:42 PM »
Kim, Jason & Per thanks for the nice comments and stopping by to check out my work!

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2023, 11:30:29 PM »
Hi Guys
The next part in line is the yoke that connects the displacer piston to the connecting rod. This is basically a sheet metal part but the size does make it kind of fussy.

Here is a 3d screen shot of part in question.

I cut out the blanks on the laser at work, notice that I put the two small holes in the flat. While I thought this was a good idea it ended up being a problem, so a second set was cut without the holes. The small holes at each end need to be very close in alignment with each other and it was difficult to put 4 bends in the part and have them come out that way. So these ended up being test parts.

Here are a couple of the parts after bending. I used the press brake at work to do the bends which made this job quite easy.

Here is a shot showing how tiny these are.

A 1 to 1 print out is helpful for checking angles and dimensions when setting up the brake.

The sides of the yoke where the bearing sleeves mount need to be parallel with each other so a light skim was taken off the outside of each one to just clean them up.

Then the yoke was mounted to a fixture block the 2-56 holes drilled and tapped. Only one hole was done at a time then the part was flipped over and the other one done. Each time before the part was removed the block was transferred to the UPT and the hole tapped.

Next the hole for the displacer piston is drilled.

This is a pretty crappy picture but what I’m doing here is taking a skim across the surface where the piston rod seats. The yoke was indicated level using the bearing sleeves to insure when mounted to the piston the bearing sleeves will be parallel to the axis of the crankshaft.

Here is one completed set, the sleeves are made from tool steel and are hardened and polished. Like in many other places on these engines the screws also had to be made.

And finally here is a photo of the yoke and bearings installed on one of the connecting rods.

Thanks for stopping by, more to follow.
Dave
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 12:57:29 AM by Dave Otto »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2023, 05:45:50 AM »
Cute little yokes, Dave!

That whole crankshaft assembly is WAY smaller than I've been picturing it!

Kim

Offline springcrocus

• Steve's Britannia
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2023, 08:09:27 AM »
Dave, that assembly looks lovely, nearly into the realms of watchmaking. Very impressive.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Regards, Steve
Member of a local model engineers society
www.stevesbritannia.co.uk

Offline SteamR

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2023, 11:48:55 AM »
Dave, I like your KyKo - fan.
Excellent workmanship. Many good ideas for practical solutions.

Richard

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2023, 12:19:49 PM »
Beautiful workmanship Dave….  :ThumbsUp:

The assembly sitting in the palm of your hand was referred to by a lady visiting an exhibition as the “ skipping man “ that phrase has stuck with me ever since. It will become more apparent once seen in motion.  ;)

:cheers:  Graham.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2023, 12:16:42 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the nice comments!

Dave

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2023, 12:18:41 AM »
Absolutely beautiful machining and finish on those parts, Dave!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2023, 12:33:53 AM »
Thank you Ron.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2023, 10:57:22 PM »
Hi Guys
Here are a few more parts completed for the KyKo engines.

The power cylinder cover was a simple turning job, but did require a flat that is indexed to the hole pattern. I used some soft jaws in the mill vise and did both of these features in the same operation.

Next is the crank disc for the power piston, and its related hardware. This was also a simple turning job but the mill was used to add some relief on both sides of the disc.

I needed to drill tap and counter bore the setscrew hole 180 degrees from the crank pin so this was the setup that I came up with.

Here are all the parts for the crank disc. The hex piece with the boss is the actual crank pin and was case hardened. The small flat head screw is to retain the ball bearing on the crank pin. The other slotted screw is the set screw to retain the disc on the crankshaft.

Here are all the pieces assembled. The way the set screw fits into the counter bore and is almost flush with the rim of the disc is the way it is done on the original engines.

Rather than using a gasket I decided to bond the displacer cylinder cover to the cylinder casting using JB Weld. This has been sanded smooth and will look like one piece when painted. I’m thinking about doing the same thing to the power cylinder cover which would be more like the original casting.

Thanks for checking in, more later.
Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal