Supporting > Engine Ancillaries

Shaping machine from 1874 (Gebr. Boehringer, Göppingen) in 1:12

(1/4) > >>

Max Eyth:
Franz Enzfelder, a model builder from Austria, had discovered the Shaping Machine in a small museum in Austria. He measured it exactly and built casting models. Then he had the parts for about 15 model machines cast. I discovered his 1:12 model workshop, then still equipped with PMR machine tools, at an exhibition. But I was particularly fascinated by the two shaping machines of a design I had never seen before. (Se the Shaping machines and Workshop built by Franz below).
He told me that after having built the US machine tools, he now wants to build German ones as well. They were designed quite differently, he said. At that time I had no idea about early machine tools. So far, I had also thought of building PMR - and had already built the Drill-Press. But the small Shaping excited me, especially since originally it came from a manufacturer near my hometown.

Franz Enzfelder only had one set of castings left at the time, which I could aquire, together with photos from the museum. My aim was to build the machine almost like the original. Franz had made some compromises because he had made a small series and at that time was still thinking of offering a whole range of model machine tools commercially. Unfortunately, nothing came of it. 

I then started to build according to the photos. The ram runs in a slotted cross head (see picture below). I had never seen anything like it before.
At the same time, I did some research on the development of machine tools and found a picture of a similar machine, from a British manufacturer, in a report on the London Great Exhibition of 1862.  Probably one of the Boehringer brothers visited the Exhibition, sketched the machine there and built a mirror image of it at home.
There were two versions of the machine at Boehringer's, one with a belt transmission only, the other with an additional gear transmission. I found such a second one built in 1892 in a museum near Freiburg im Breisgau. So the machines were produced absolutely identically for almost 20 years. 

So far for today
Michael

Dave Otto:
Those are interesting machines, thanks for sharing.

Dave

mklotz:
Yes, thank you for the pictures.  The shapers are fascinating and that miniature drill press is downright delightful. 

vtsteam:
Very interesting machine. In the first engraving, below the clapper there's a horizontal spindle. Do you know if that was that a horizontal milling spindle, or was it just an arbor for cutting gears and splined shafts with the shaper tools?

Chipswitheverything:
Thanks for posting this very interesting information and the excellent photos of the miniature equipment ; I also like the tiny precision drill very much ! Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version