Author Topic: Kozo Pennsylvania A3 0-4-0  (Read 3166 times)

Offline esaresky

Kozo Pennsylvania A3 0-4-0
« on: January 14, 2023, 06:28:28 PM »
Hello,

I decided to build my first-ever steam locomotive (actually, first model of anything). I picked the A3 after watching Blondihacks YT video. I didn't even know about Kozo or his books but purchased one days after watching that video. I'm going to follow the build in the steps as shown in the book. I started on the tender wheels the other day but a chatter problem already damped my spirits. I wanted to use my Hardinge HC because it's a turret lathe and I can load the facing tool, 30° round nose tool, center drill, "N" bit, and reamer all at once. The chatter had me move over to my LeBlond. I gave it a try earlier today and although I also had chatter with the same tool, it was less. I know the material is hanging out quite the bit but this was an experiment plus, I don't have the proper chuck for that lathe to hold something only 1/2" in width. There's about 5" in the chuck. The chatter cleaned up a little with just 30 seconds of 80 grit abrasive cloth. As I said, I'm experimenting and haven't given up using the Hardinge. The last pic is my try in the Hardinge. It's still chucked up.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Kozo Pennsylvania A3 0-4-0
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 06:31:22 PM »
Another locomotive build!  Got the popcorn popping...    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:58:11 PM »
Hi Eric!
Great to see you starting a log of your Pennsy A3 build!  I can tell you, it's a fun project!  ;D

Yeah, I think your material is sticking out pretty far from the chuck.

I cut my big bar into pucks before doing any of the turning so that it was close to the chuck while doing that trepaning.  Then you hold the pucks it in the chuck like you did in that last photo to face off the ends and shape the side profiles.  That would probably help for the rest of the wheels.

Also, you might want to consider using a 4-jaw chuck, at least for shaping the 2nd side.  That way you can get the center hole dialed in more accurately.  Otherwise, the hub on one side or the other of the wheel might not run true.

Excellent start!  You have a lot of fun ahead of you.  I'm jealous!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 11:02:27 PM »

Kim
Kim, you could always start in on the other models in the Kozo series...   ^-^

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 11:17:40 PM »

Kim
Kim, you could always start in on the other models in the Kozo series...   ^-^
True.  And maybe I will... Someday... But I've got other things in my build queue first! (I think...  ^-^)
Kim

Offline esaresky

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 03:28:38 AM »
If I was making a rail bike, I would be done with the wheels.  :)

Want to guess which one was done on the 17” LeBlond and which was the Hardinge?

Offline esaresky

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 03:57:58 AM »
I’ve decided to go ahead using the Hardinge lathe. I’m cutting the rest of the wheel pieces on the Peerless right now. For those who have never seen a power hacksaw in use, it’s cool so I uploaded a video to YT.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFhyF3zZ6Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFhyF3zZ6Q</a> title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here’s a photo of the other side.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 04:11:12 AM by esaresky »

Offline esaresky

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2023, 03:41:54 PM »
Last night I stopped after cutting the rest of the wheels.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2023, 04:28:55 PM »
Nice work with that big saw, that definitely saved a lot of sore arm muscles.  Great start!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2023, 11:46:20 PM »
Hey Eric,
I was wondering if you'd mind if I moved your thread over to "Vehicles and Models"?   That's where most builds like this would traditionally go.  I know it's kind of non-intuitive since you ARE building this from plans.  But generally the "From Plans" sub-forum is focused on 'motors' from plans. Any build that is more than just a motor, anything a motor would turn or operate - like a generator, car, locomotive, fan, etc., would be considered a vehicle or model.

So if it's OK with you, I can move it over there to be with all its friends.  ;)

I also think it will help people find your build thread.

LMK if you're OK with that.

Thanks,
Kim

Offline esaresky

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 12:52:40 AM »
I’m not sure if I’ll get tarred and feathered for posting what I did but it’s not the first time I’ve done it, just the first time with my 5C chuck. TIR on the chuck body was .0007”. I think that’s better then when the chuck was inserted properly on the Hardinge.  :Lol:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 01:01:27 AM by esaresky »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 01:09:48 AM »
At first I didn't see what you were talking about - second look and laughed!  I've done similar things with a smaller vise in the larger one to angle it, never seen this one before!  Reminds me of the picture of the little fish being eaten by a bigger one, and that one being eaten by an even bigger one!  :Lol:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 01:13:23 AM »
Looks pretty legit to me!  I did something like that too.  I made a 1" adapter for my Taig chuck and held it in the collet chuck on my bigger lathe.  It worked just fine.

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2023, 01:17:12 AM »
Just so it doesn't confuse anyone too much, I just moved Eric's build thread over to the Models & Vehicles sub forum.
Kim

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2023, 02:34:31 AM »
Even though I made a backing plate for my 6" 4-jaw chuck, I still routinely mount that chuck (and my 5' 3-jaw) on my 8" faceplate. Both mount with bolts through faceplate slots.

It looks a little odd, but actually it's particularly handy with the 3 jaw, since I can put an indicator on a round part or a standard held in the chuck and tap it over to perfect center with a plastic dead blow hammer before final tightening the mounting bolts.It works like like a set-tru chuck, but actually easier and faster to set to center.

It's less important to re-center a 4 jaw as you adjust centering with the jaws anyway. But on my lathe the 4-jaw is easier to mount on the faceplate than mounting it the usual way.

My lathe spindle is the mini-lathe flange style rather than the screw on register style, so mounting chucks to the faceplate is a LOT easier than fiddling with an allen key and screws behind the flange.

To continue the oddness, when I did use the backing plate with the 4 jaw, and then found I wanted to turn a spindle between centers, I just removed the chuck from the backing plate used the plate to drive the lathe dog. I had put a slot in the backing plate for just that purpose.

All these things are time savers, and make changes easier, but they actually improve accuracy for me on my particular lathe.
Steve

Offline esaresky

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 02:50:58 AM »
I switched to the LeBlond to make the wheels for a few reason. One reason was the chatter I was getting with the Hardinge once the round nose tool was 60 thousands in depth (not all at once but on the third .015” cut). I’ve had that lathe for just two years but haven’t had any chatter issue. I’ve determined it’s coming from the turret to cross slide mount. I knew I would have to use the LeBlond to cut the 3 degree taper on the wheels as there’s no compound on a Hardinge turret lathe.

Offline esaresky

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2023, 01:49:46 PM »
I was able to spare some time and work on the wheels. They are all at the stage of turning the flange and thread. I machined the mandrel to hold the wheels, I even single-pointed the thread for the nut to keep it all as concentric as possible. I did all the steps to just one wheel because of the 8 wheels, 7 have a axle bore of .3135”-314” (I was using a 5/16” reamer too) but one wheel is .318”. Don’t know what happened but I’ll go with it. One axle will just have to be a custom fit. So I did all the final steps to the .318” wheel and then I turned the mandrels shoulder to .313” for the rest of the wheels.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 02:14:19 PM »
Them's purty!  :Love:

Funny how tools sometimes decide to expand, and then change their mind and go back when you put a mic to them. I've had that happen many times!  :thinking:

Looking good!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :cheers:
Steve

Offline esaresky

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2023, 02:29:05 PM »
Them's purty!  :Love:

Funny how tools sometimes decide to expand, and then change their mind and go back when you put a mic to them. I've had that happen many times!  :thinking:

Looking good!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :cheers:

:Lol: :Lol:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2023, 05:01:45 PM »
I've got some reamers that change their mind too. One drill chip left in the wrong spot and bingo! .005" over.

Very similar to the situation if I drop a potato chip in the kitchen, and don't notice it. My wife steps on it, and bingo! life as we know it is over for the day!   :slap:  :Lol: (just kidding - she's wonderful!  :Love:)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2023, 11:25:45 PM »
Great looking tender wheels!    :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Doing things eight times gets a little tedious, doesn't it? I don't know how people doing these 8 or even 12-cylinder engines do it!  So much repetition!  :o

But there are only a few parts that you have to do eight times.  Then you get into the 4x and 2x parts with the trucks and springs.  It gets more manageable :)

Kim

Offline esaresky

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2023, 12:41:07 AM »
Great looking tender wheels!    :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Doing things eight times gets a little tedious, doesn't it? I don't know how people doing these 8 or even 12-cylinder engines do it!  So much repetition!  :o

But there are only a few parts that you have to do eight times.  Then you get into the 4x and 2x parts with the trucks and springs.  It gets more manageable :)

Kim

I’m use to it. When I worked at the machine shop, it was small runs but still, doing a few dozen of the same item with manual machines. Ugh. He didn’t even have a turret lathe. I would have loved having my Hardinge chucker when I worked there.  :facepalm:

Offline esaresky

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 02:25:07 PM »
Tender wheels finished.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 03:02:04 PM »
A very nice set of wheels they are too! You're off to a great start. :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2023, 03:04:28 PM »
Looking great!   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2023, 05:49:55 PM »
Beautiful wheels!  There's a lot of work that goes into those tender wheels, isn't there?  Well done!   :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal