Author Topic: Yet another way to do bearings  (Read 1315 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Yet another way to do bearings
« on: December 30, 2022, 07:27:33 PM »
Hi all,
We've all seen and discussed different ways to fabricate split bronze bearings on multiple threads. I just came across a layout that I had not seen before when looking at some old engine plans for a Navy engine. Rather than having two 180-degree halves for the bearing, then having to put in a pin or something to keep the bearing from spinning, they made the bearings less than 180 degrees and put lips on the openings they go into to keep them from spinning. Here is a snippet from the plans:

The upper left arrow shows the bearing 'halves', the other two arrows point at the openings they slip into. On this machine the bearings are kept from moving side to side by the larger diameter pieces on the shaft turning in the bearings.

Just thought I'd throw this one out there to show yet another way to do it!
 :cheers:
Chris

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Yet another way to do bearings
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 08:22:44 PM »
That's an interesting variation on the theme. Thanks for posting it.
Regards,
Ron

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 12:34:07 AM »
Could the Engine Frames be for an Inclined Paddle Wheel engine?

Complex!!  :hammerbash:.......would the Side Butt Caps [and there mating Lower Caps], be initially machined to  7 5/8" bore, then the 4 7/16" radial bore be created/machinned in a Vertcal Slotting machine that had an effective stroke of 10" +? :facepalm:

I cannot see any other method to manufacture the radiused profile + the lower interface profiles....or am I missing something?  :Doh:

Derek  :shrug:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 12:44:20 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 01:22:14 AM »
These caps are on the uprights holding a ship windlass that hauls up the anchor, so they inclined it to brace against the weight. The way the plan sheet is labeled, these are castings with machined faces where needed. Hard to say how they machined it, all sorts of specialized machines probably.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 01:24:01 AM »
the recesses for the bearings would be a walk in the park for a Butler or Elliot 32" shaper with a rotary tool indexer.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline john mills

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 01:34:02 AM »
when these engines were built lots of the faces would have had to be done with planing or shaper and slotting machine 
when I  look at full size  steam engines to me  it would look like these were the machines that were used .
John

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 01:58:07 AM »
I was thinking a shaper, too. But fiddling around with the drawing I realized it could be done with a horizontal mill, too.

The original drawing isn't too precise re. the end shape - one side is a little different than the other, but I would think the left side shape makes more sense as a bushing stop:
Steve

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 02:17:29 AM »
Oh, for a working time machine to go back and watch the big machines at work in all those factories! They'd probably throw me out for leaving trails of popcorn and drool.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 07:06:50 AM »
I'm sure there would have been a fair amount of hand fitting too once the initial machining had been completed.

Probably OK in the application you mention but those big gaps would not do a lot for the oil film and as the lower bearing will be taking all the load that is likely to be the driest.

Some of the traction engines just used a half bearing on the rear axle as the lower one was not really taking any load but at least being ontop of the axle it got the oil.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 02:59:16 PM »
The outrigger bearing on the crankshaft for Agnes only has one lower half shell fitted. (The full size one, not my model)

When I asked about it at the museum they explained that the sixteen tons of flywheel was unlikely to want to jump out of the bearing.

Phil

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 03:34:04 PM »
I was also thinking that only one of the keys was really necessary in the Navy drawing. They could then be slipped in place more easily in the usual fashion instead of driven in from the ends. Also that fitting those bushings had to be really close so they didn't shift in their slots when the winch was reversed.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 04:09:28 PM »
And it there's only one key, why not just a single slotted bushing instead of two halves. And then why bearing caps at all, and then......  :insane:
Steve

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 05:33:32 PM »
And it there's only one key, why not just a single slotted bushing instead of two halves. And then why bearing caps at all, and then......  :insane:
What key do you mean? there is a lip at both ends where the cap holds the bearing arc in place.
The bearing must be in two halves for this engine, on either side are large winch drums so there is no way to slide the bearing onto the shaft.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 06:39:52 PM »
Sorry, I meant the lip functioning as a key for the bushing(s). It didn't seem like it needed two.

Also, click, I see, re. no caps and the actual winch drums on either side. I was just starting to think in general for using this bearing type fo other things.
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal