Author Topic: MJ Engineering  (Read 817 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
MJ Engineering
« on: December 23, 2022, 11:18:11 PM »
Does anyone know anything about MJ Engineering in the UK? I'm interested in acquiring one of their traction engines but I'd like to know what their reputation is. If anyone has any comment to make (via PM is fine) that would be great.

Thanks all.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: MJ Engineering
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 07:00:45 AM »
Alan the owner is shall we say a bit relaxed.

The product is good but he does not always hold a full stock of everything and it can take a while for him to get new castings in as he tends to wait until he has a decent size order for the foundry so order anything well in advance of when you are likely to need it. I know of overseas builders who just bought a few of the main castings eg cylinder and either made their own patterns or fabricated a lot of the les complex parts as shipping was costly.

Drawings are good and unlike many have been revised over time where there were small errors. If it's the GMT or A7 then the build manual is also good and is basically a compilation of what was published as the build series in the ME press.

This is my Fowler 2" A7 from their castings

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 07:33:26 AM »
I agree with Jason  :o  :lolb:

Alan who owns/runs MJ is a really nice guy but focusses more on running the village shop, which he also owns, than running his ME business. He is poor at answering the phone or Emails but that is him just being lazy  :stickpoke:

He was supposed to be providing me a list of the spare bits of 2" BB1 he has back in July this year... that never happened but I would have been surprised if it had turned up.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 03:06:06 PM »
OK, thanks so much for that info. It's safe to assume that while it may take time, anything ordered will actually arrive? Haven't heard good things about Brunell's. There is always Reeves but MJ seems to have some nicer options.

Waiting I can do (waited 9 years for a crankshaft for my Matchless - the key being it did actually show up in the end) - plan is to start acquiring stocks of castings etc over time to beginning the project a little ways down the road, so waiting is OK as long as parts actually show up. They are not exactly cheap, but if they are good quality, fairly priced and the plans (or are they good enough to call drawings?) are accurate then that may make the wait worthwhile. I do understand how it must be difficult for small businesses like this to stock everything, and build to order to a certain extent. If they deliver then I'm OK with it.

Jason's Fowler is gorgeous so I'm definitely tempted. Maybe I'll start with just the drawings (plans?) and see how that goes.

Thanks for your input - I was specifically thinking both of you would have history with this gentleman.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 03:06:40 PM »
I agree with Jason  :o  :lolb:

It's a Christmas miracle!
Stuart

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 03:19:32 PM »
Your money should be safe spent with Alan and I would be happy to suggest him, and although I don't use Reeves much these days they should be OK too can't really say the same of Brunell.

When I started my Fowler I went down a couple of times and picked up sufficient castings to cover a drawing or twos worth of work but with one or two items out of stock I then just ordered all the remaining items, taking what he had and then picked the others up at a show or two when they came back into stock.

At the time the foundry he was using was about a 500mile round trip so understandable that it was not cost effective to keep going there for just a few bits as it was a long day and a fair bit of fuel each time. Spreading the cost of teh trip over a larger number of parts makes business sense.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 03:48:49 PM »
Perfect - thanks for that, exactly what I needed to know.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 03:53:13 PM »
if it is the Fowler you are thinking of these two links will take you to my ablums of it, I did not take much in the way of construction photos at teh time , they are mostly completed parts or assemblies. Ita and the GMT are both very true to the original with planty of detail.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/jasonballamy/a/b6ca6e50-2074-4b62-87df-1c79081472b7

https://app.photobucket.com/u/jasonballamy/a/8461e49a-f948-470d-899c-3acdc1061899

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 05:11:02 PM »
Nice pics - some good views of the process there even if it isn't a build log.

I haven't decided between Fowler and Burrell, but I'm leaning more towards the Fowler.
Stuart

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 09:11:42 AM »
https://www.stationroadsteam.com/2-inch-scale-fowler-a7-agricultural-engine-stock-code-10044/     Just had a look to see if Station Road Steam happened to have a set or part set of the MJ castings among their "Project" stock, as such things do turn up there.  No luck, but this nice example of a finished engine might be a spur to deciding on a prototype!   Dave

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 09:24:16 AM »
It would certainly be worth getting the drawings and build book before you order any castings/materials as some items are quite easy to fabricate or cut from solid so you may as well source material locally rather than pay postage and some it the items listed are just slices of barstock or simple "round" castings anyway

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2022, 05:10:49 PM »
https://www.stationroadsteam.com/2-inch-scale-fowler-a7-agricultural-engine-stock-code-10044/     Just had a look to see if Station Road Steam happened to have a set or part set of the MJ castings among their "Project" stock, as such things do turn up there.  No luck, but this nice example of a finished engine might be a spur to deciding on a prototype!   Dave

Thanks for the heads up - I’ll keep an eye on Station Road.

That Fowler is gorgeous!
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2022, 05:12:29 PM »
It would certainly be worth getting the drawings and build book before you order any castings/materials as some items are quite easy to fabricate or cut from solid so you may as well source material locally rather than pay postage and some it the items listed are just slices of barstock or simple "round" castings anyway

That’s my thinking - look at which castings I’m really better off buying, and figure what I can make from bar stock which I can easily source. I’ll acquire stuff while making my next engine(s) and then be ready to start in earnest.
Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal