Author Topic: Another Christmas Present  (Read 2866 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Another Christmas Present
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 11:15:11 PM »
Online metals stated they had material, and 2 days after I placed the order, they came back with they didn't.

I ordered basically the same thing from Speedy, and they said they had it, but the shipping was way more than the piece of material!

I scrounged my stack of stuff and found a piece of what I think is 4140...it's tough and nasty, but I was able to slice off 3 pieces.   I'm going to split them again and then turn them....but I'm not looking forward to it..   This stuff is not pleasant to turn.....    Sigh....

1.125 bore x 4.25" OD by up to 1/4 thick and I'm good to go GWRdriver

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 01:18:24 AM »
Well   that rustic black nasty piece of steel didn't disappoint!
I think it's 4150 HT.....About the consistency of woodpecker lips!      Nasty  long stringy blue chips    gets a little better with cutting  oil....a little....not pleasant...quickly went to carbide...after I smoked the Momax...  2 more to go
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2023, 02:23:10 AM »
Ah Ha!   I found a vendor for 12L14 that ships for a reasonable price!   It'll take a week but that's OK    Life is too short for ugly steel!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2023, 02:26:22 AM »
Ah Ha!   I found a vendor for 12L14 that ships for a reasonable price!   It'll take a week but that's OK    Life is too short for ugly steel!

Dave
Sounds like a good t shirt phrase for the next model engine show!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 02:34:48 AM »

Dave
Sounds like a good t shirt phrase for the next model engine show!

Im running a serpentine belt on the SB with 3/4 HP motor and the belt squeals loudly and stalls at anything more than .010" depth of cut,    and I'm burning Momax tools up   Carbide seems to hold together, but I don't really have the power at 4.25" diameter to do this.....    12L14 is your friend here...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2023, 05:24:59 AM »
I'm curious to know who's shipping for a reasonable price?  It seems that shipping is frequently more that the cost of the material I'm getting  :???:

Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2023, 12:44:46 PM »
I'm curious to know who's shipping for a reasonable price?  It seems that shipping is frequently more that the cost of the material I'm getting  :???:

Kim

Midwest Steel and Aluminum......the order is placed......lets see how they do compared to what they sold me.

27 for the material, and 18 to ship it 7 day ground.     

Dave
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 12:55:16 PM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2023, 01:30:33 PM »
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 08:01:13 PM »
I'm not familiar with them. I'll have to put them on my list of potential suppliers.  I usually use Online Metals, Speedy Metals, McMaster, Amazon, or eBay.  Good to have another supplier!

Kim

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 01:02:24 AM »

Kim

McMaster Carr is one of the more reasonable I have dealt with. They don't even tell you what shipping will be at the time of order. They wait until they know what shipping is and that is what they charge. Hard to argue with that. Most of the miniature hardware I purchase I get from them. Maybe 2 bucks a hundred more for itty bitty screws but they are hard and dont strip the third time you tighten them. There is a reason they charge a bit more. It's my number one stop when I need stuff.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 01:06:35 AM »

Kim

McMaster Carr is one of the more reasonable I have dealt with. They don't even tell you what shipping will be at the time of order. They wait until they know what shipping is and that is what they charge. Hard to argue with that. Most of the miniature hardware I purchase I get from them. Maybe 2 bucks a hundred more for itty bitty screws but they are hard and dont strip the third time you tighten them. There is a reason they charge a bit more. It's my number one stop when I need stuff.
A few months ago Mcmaster changed their system, now it shows the shipping price in the cart, which I like since it helps with total price shopping. I get a lot from them since their warehouse is close and orders get here next day. Also get stuff from the other metals vendors mentioned here and on other threads, pays to shop around, prices fluctuate a lot!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 01:26:19 AM »
Yup, on a recent order I discovered that my order was shipping in a cardboard tube, I was able to add several more items that would fit in the tube with no more added to the shipping cost.

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 02:17:33 AM »

Kim

Agreed......Most of the time.    they didn't have 4.25"    Online metals wantd $60 to ship a $30 order....same for Speedy.....best deal was Midwest for me.   

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2023, 02:03:47 AM »
Material will be here this Thursday....all but one of my 917 gears need a plate I don't have for the new dividing head.    I've taken the time to add a VDH style plunger pin and clean up some other features that were either missing, broken, or deranged.     This includes finishing the sector arms which never had a means to lock them, or provide a friction point.    I added a flex washer/bushing to them.    I also made a new plunger spring as the one on it was very stiff....needlessly so.     Tomorrow i'll make up some custom wrenches and get her set up to use once I have some plates in hand.  These will include some special pin spanners, and finish the draw bar wrench.   Spindle run out doesn't appear to be too bad.   I'll spend some time and see what I can do to get it below the initial 0.002" I measured tonight.    The spindle is clean and not showing wear, so I'll take a look at the mount.   At the moment though, it's hard to tighten the draw bar without the wrench.
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal