Author Topic: Another Christmas Present  (Read 2868 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Another Christmas Present
« on: December 23, 2022, 06:20:58 PM »
ou  ou ou!    He made me a offer and dropped the price!  hmmmm     I countered even lower as I have 3 methods to do dividing with already,  but   This is a 3C spindle nose dividing head, so my lathe tooling drops in, and I can mount a chuck on that backplate...and scaling from that 1/2" 3C collet, it's not that big  Like 4" or so.     .hmmmmmmmmm   Well we'll see if he bites

24 hours later!

He accepted!     Cool!!!!

It is very much like an Ellis, but I really don't think it is.  There are a lot of key features that are not done like the Ellis.     It might be an OLD Brown and Sharpe, the index arm matches .......but it appears to be all there and not abused...  It swings up and down over at least 90 degrees..like the Ellis..so that ld be quite useful    I have a BS1 dividing head, but it's a big mouthful in the Tormach.   And #7 B&S taper is not that useful.   I have 2 extra sets of B&S index plates, so seems adaptable as well.    I also have a brand new 4 jaw chuck that is 4 or 5" that I could put on that back plate....Merry Christmas to me! :whoohoo:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline vtsteam

Re: Another Christmas Present
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 06:52:50 PM »
That's a really nice looking one. I really like the shape of the supports. It does definitely have that older classic style, but clean and simple too. Congratulations!  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 07:00:27 PM »
That's a really nice looking one. I really like the shape of the supports. It does definitely have that older classic style, but clean and simple too. Congratulations!  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:

It's very Ellis-esq,  but the scale and scale pointer for elevation are reversed. and the index arm is completely different.  Additionally, the Ellis needed a B&S #9 to 3C adapter to run the 3C collets, while there doesn't appear to be an adapter on this unit.   Now 3C was very popular with the watchmaking industry so I've been on the lathes.co.uk site pawing through the pictures as well as Vintage Machinery's site and the closest thing I found was a turn of the last century catalog entry from B&S that sure looks like this....so it will be an adventure for sure....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 07:09:55 PM »
I think Sherline has a bunch of watchmaker bits and pieces, including 3C collets, on their site, since they have a version of the headstock with 3C now.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 07:22:01 PM »
Looks like Father Christmas has decided you have been good again this year Dave, well done  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 07:40:22 PM »
That’s awesome Dave and great for making bevel gears and cutters….  :Love:

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 08:03:57 PM »
Nice score Dave!

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 08:08:26 PM »
I think Sherline has a bunch of watchmaker bits and pieces, including 3C collets, on their site, since they have a version of the headstock with 3C now.

I have 3C from 1/32 to 1/2 x 1/64 rounds,, full set      Plus some square and hex collets, faceplates and chuck backing plates....all 3C or 3C shanked  including some emergency collets.   I also have an external closer for 3C  that threads on the spindle nose for big collets....like 5"...   not a full set of that..but I'm looking

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 08:17:49 PM »
I got the Levin a present as well   

Pivot polisher,    In very good condition   I'll need to make some laps for it, it does fit the cross slide Im using on the Levin..... (it's a Derbyshire cross slide)

Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 12:20:53 AM »
Looks like you'll be having a Merry Christmas for sure!

Nicely done, Dave!
Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 06:19:48 AM »
Thanks Kim,    Did a little more digging....I might be from a hardinge MD3 or MD5 milling machine...  3C collets...or 3C collet adapter.....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 06:51:24 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 12:27:20 AM »
Spent a little.time today cleaning up the dividing head. I'll have some accessories to make up but it is nice! The pictures shows the small size The lathe is my 9 inch SouthBend with a 5 inch 3 jaw chuck on the spindle!
The spindle of the head is a dedicated 3C with a 1.320 x 8TPI thread. Kind wierd...
This dividing head is small enough to go right Into the mill vise.
Anyway onward with some parts to make!

It's cute! And old! The grease inside is like hardened varnish. Some one was in there before and may have bubba'd up some stuff but it's minor I have some spare index plates that will not fit it correctly Definitely a MD3 Hardinge dividing head. Spindle thread is odd but complete and I may have a small Cushman chuck for it
Damned ijjit!

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 10:10:37 PM »
Very nice!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 12:41:43 AM »
 OK   all torn down, some light repairs, a new sector arm mount made, cleaned, lubricated, a new index pin knob that was missing, and a new drawbar wrench is underway.    I'll need to put some division plates on this little guy.   The extra set of plates for my BS dividing head are not quite the fit I need for several reasons, and, come to find out, are rather hard as they are apparently heat treated.     I opted to not try to machine them, and I am planning on making up 3 division plates or the size suitable from scratch for the tooling I have (the plate that comes is clearly not original, and with it will foul any chuck you put on it, which is why it doesn't have a chuck on it)    The drawbar wrench is going to go on a the end of a driver like a 3 jaw chuck wrench..    Waiting on materials, and until then I'm back on the 917 connecting rods.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 12:45:02 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 01:00:41 AM »
It also needs a index pin retraction lock, so I don't smack the sector arms.    I have a cunning plan for that ....could be very simple.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal