Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

Stuart Turner S9

(1/4) > >>

Ian S C:
5th October, a friend dropped in this little engine, or bits of it anyway.

Ian S C:
And now heres the results, I made a new eccentric strap, from cast iron, 2 piston rings, cast iron. The cast iron came from an old brake disc.  I made the balls for the governor by annealing a pair of 1/2' bearing balls, and drilled them, made up the arms for the governor, and rivitted the balls on the arms.  When I got the engine it was assebled, sort of. It was so stiff, it could not be turned over, and it had no rings at that stage.  One thing needed was shims under the main bearing on the flywheel side. Another thing needed was the guide strips for the (I'll call it) slipper on the con rod, more brake disc CI.   Even had to make the butterfly for the governor, easier than I thought it would be.   The engine runs quite well, when run on my compressor, it starts at about 10psi (thats when the auto-drain on the water trap closes), the governor starts to close around 20psi, and holds the revs to a bit over 30psi.   A bit of a tidy up, and some paint, and things look a little better than they did.

steamer:
Nice Job Ian!    I always liked the 9!

Dave

b.lindsey:
You did a bang up job on that Ian. Quite a transformation indeed!!

Bill

Ian S C:
Thanks Dave and Bill, It will be hard to let the engine go, but my friend has a little museum about 100 yards down the road, so it won't be too far away.
  The thing was in a horrible mess, and it's far from perfect, but it looks OK, and runs OK, But it sure uses a lot of air, mind you my compressor has a fairly small capacity, it's an old freezer compressor.   Ian S C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version