Author Topic: amazon gift card to spend  (Read 1068 times)

Offline tghs

amazon gift card to spend
« on: December 23, 2022, 12:38:29 PM »
instead of a cash gift this year work did it all electronically.. we were given 130.00 amazon gift cards.. now I have to figure out what tools I should get, thinking an oxy-mapp outfit could maybe be it.. but open to ideas!!!!
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: amazon gift card to spend
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 01:56:49 PM »
I've gotten some good deals on cobalt steel end mills there.  And Slim may want a new outfit...

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 05:23:33 PM »
Congratulations!  What a fun problem to have  :cheers:

One of those Edge Technology Pro Tram systems make a good gift for yourself.  Not essential, but very fun to have and a joy to use when go to Tram. :)
https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Technology-Pro-Tram-System/dp/B01M5FV0SI/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2MCR5T71JU4I5&keywords=mill+tramming+tool&qid=1671816036&sprefix=mill+tramming+tool%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.fa474cd8-6dfc-4bad-a280-890f5a4e2f90

Kim

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 05:42:31 PM »
I think this little forge is kind of neat (I was going to say cool, but that didn't sound right):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D4Y4FD8
Steve

Offline tghs

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 05:56:37 PM »
maybe I should get the 6kg model ::)
what the @#&% over

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »
Heat treating or casting furnace are definitely good ideas. Wouldn't mind a try at a bit of smithing and casting.

Because what I really need is even more projects to add to the list.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 11:07:36 PM »
As a melter myself, I'm not too keen on what looks like the quality of the foundry. So personally I'd go with the forge or the sandblaster. The forge will definitely require some Satanite coating (available reasonably priced separately from Amazon's Mr Volcano provider).

If you want to get into casting reasonably priced, I think my ideal is the path I personally followed, which is just get the Dave Gingery foundry furnace book, (add Terry Aspin's to that in a bit) a popcorn can or similar sized metal vessel, some sand and some fireclay (I use Hawthorn), a bag of charcoal briquets and an old hair drier, make some wooden flasks and simple wooden patterns and start melting aluminum. There's tons to learn with simple equipment and basic greensand molding.

I see a lot of people starting out with expensive castable refractories, propane burners and regulators, Salamander tm crucibles, petrobond, and then trying to cast via lost PLA from 3D printed patterns. Nothing wrong with purchases, but it's five hundred spent and none of it necessary or a guarantee of high quality hobby casting. Experience and observation is far more important. Almost all of the amazing historic castings were done with the simple furnaces and basic natural greensand materials and methods.
Steve

Offline tghs

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 11:58:04 PM »
thinking that picking up some small crucibles (.5-1kg) and making my own small furnace,, mostly doing brass and bronze model ship/boat fittings.. mainly lost wax maybe some greensand or clay.. I do have lots of the needed materials stockpiled..
what the @#&% over

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2022, 12:31:08 AM »
Sounds good! Yes for very small, complex, or undercut fittings, lost wax would be the way to go. For engine castings and making tooling etc, greensand comes into its own.
Steve

Offline tghs

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2022, 03:24:05 PM »
gift card killed off :pinkelephant:  a pair of smaller crucibles (to help with building furnace) a oxy/mapp torch set and a dapping punch block doming set.. all free shipping, no big hurry.. yeah more tools :whoohoo:
what the @#&% over

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 06:44:00 PM »
Great! If you don't mind a DIY furnace recommendation for what it sounds like you want to do, I'd go with LuckyGen1001's (aka Ironman) small propane furnace illustrated on YouTube here:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DyeESQpac0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DyeESQpac0</a>\

You can substitute Cerablanket for Kaowool, and Satanite from "Mr Volcano" on Amazon (best price I've found). for the coating. This furnace will easily melt brass or bronze quickly, with crucible sizes up to A4. It will also do iron if you have a large enough propane tank for a longer melt (small barbecue size tanks chill too fast for a long melt).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 06:47:24 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline tghs

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 08:59:38 PM »
thanks for the info,, the dapping block set arrived today and I'm quite happy with it..
what the @#&% over

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 11:29:30 PM »
That looks very cool!  You'll have to show us you're first use of your new tool! :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal