Author Topic: Machining 01 steel  (Read 888 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Machining 01 steel
« on: December 03, 2022, 01:34:22 AM »
I have a question regarding 01 steel. I have a camshaft and cam all made from one piece of 01 steel. I heated the camshaft to cherry red, then dumped it into a can of oil to harden it. Worked great, piece is now harder than the devil's horn. Today I discovered that it has to be changed---more machining. I THINK that it can be returned to the relatively soft state by heating to cherry red, then letting it air cool, but I'm not certain of that. I have to put in a couple of #4-40 threaded holes and I don't want to break a tap. After the threading is completed, I want to heat it cherry red again and drop it back into the oil to reharden it. I haven't done this before, and I'm working from very old memories. Can someone confirm that this is the way to go about it please.---Brian

Offline vtsteam

Re: Machining 01 steel
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 02:18:48 AM »
Some temp info here:

https://www.groundflatstock.com/News/ArtMID/1382/ArticleID/10/O1-Tool-Steel-Heat-Treatment-Information

And that temp range would correspond to between dark red and cherry red. You would want to cool slowly, so air cooling would be rapid for a small part compared to cooling in a furnace, or buried in a bucket of wood ashes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 02:34:34 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 03:12:26 AM »
Hi Brian,

0-1 in full hard condition is quite hard. (Harder than woodpecker lips is the last definitive specification I'm familiar with,  60+ Rc )   If there is any possibility to do something other than trying to tap it  I would do that.    Annealing will probably distort it .

You might be able to get a hole in it with carbide, but I wouldn't try to tap it conventionally.   Do you know someone who can do EDM?

Dave
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 03:51:00 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 03:38:11 AM »
Plus 1 for burying in some ashes or perhaps hot sand to let it cool slowly  Maybe vermiculite?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline john mills

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 10:16:29 AM »
years ago i worked where they annealed and re shaped tools made in tool steel it was annealed buy heating in a gas muffle furnace
then covered in a tub off i think it was lime and left to cool it was soft enough to file .ground stock would always be hardened and tempered
never just hardened . often for high strength and toughness tempered back to 48 RC and often 52 RC.
John  l

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 04:43:53 PM »
I just put the cam shaft in my vice and heated it to cherry red, and I'm leaving it to air cool. I don't have any vermiculite. ---I do have another unhardened piece of 01 steel, so if I need to I can make another camshaft. After this one cools, I will let you know how much success I had threading very small holes in it.

Offline internal_fire

• Punta Gorda, FL
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 05:01:45 PM »
The "book" says to cool at 50 degrees F per hour. No way that can be done for a small part in air or buried in anything. A controlled furnace would be the only way to achieve that rate.

Gene

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 07:35:07 PM »
And the story is---No, it didn't work for me. The part is still very hard. I could turn a bit off the o.d. with a carbide cutting tool, but no way was I going to be able to drill and tap it for #4-40 threads. That's okay. I have lots of unhardened 01 to make a new cam shaft, and I've learned something today.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 07:44:07 PM »
Brian, as I recalled you had built a small heat treat furnace, just looked back for it...
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,10328.0.html

Wouldn't that work for doing a long heat followed by a slow cool down?
Chris

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 09:12:57 PM »
Chris--I don't really know. I had heard that 01 steel could be returned to its soft state by heating to cherry red, then letting it air cool, but like a million other things, I don't really believe it until I've tried it. There may be a way to return hardened 01 to it's soft state with a heat treating furnace, but I don't know about it. It really isn't a big deal--I can remake the camshaft and cam in about two hours, and I have the material. I have heard of so many ways of doing so many things, that when they've laid me out in my coffin I'll be wondering "Hmmm---I wonder if this method or that method really works?"  There are literally hundreds of "old time machinists tricks" that I will probably never live long enough to prove or disprove. I never forget anything I've heard, seen, or read about, but I take all of this with a grain of salt until I've actually tried it myself.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 09:42:11 PM »
If you google 'Annealing O1 Steel' there are a couple of the early entries that show up from commercial suppliers that give the temperatures and times that they use.  Here is one from Hudson steel:
Heat at a rate not exceeding 400°F per hour (222°C per hour) to 1425 -1450°F (802-816°C), and hold at temperature for 1 hour per inch (25.4mm) of maximum thickness; 2 hours minimum. Then cool slowly with the furnace at a rate not exceeding 50°F per hour (28°C per hour) to 1000°F (538°C). Continue cooling to ambient temperature in the furnace or in air. The resultant hardness should be a maximum of 212 HBW.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 02:15:29 AM »
tough to follow a process like that with little more than a torch..  unfortunately.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
Wonder if a piece of pipe filled with dry sand and capped off would work?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal