Author Topic: Fuller & Johnson Farm Engine  (Read 1697 times)

Offline cwelkie

Fuller & Johnson Farm Engine
« on: December 02, 2022, 10:00:29 PM »
I may not have been very active on the forum but have been keeping "my hand in" in the shop.  This is the latest result, a Fuller & Johnson Farm Engine with a water pump.  It is based on drawings from the (long defunct) Strictly IC magazine.  I thought I'd share these photos before I dismantle it (and likely make the paintwork chipped and worn more authentic).

It needs to be dismantled to remake the connecting rod "big end" bearing shells.  In spite of all my effort at carefully fitting and lapping the originals, they are already worn to a point of concern.  I've not yet been able to find the magic needle valve setting for it to run but remain hopeful.

Construction included a lot of fabrication.  I used aluminium for the crankcase and bottom plate.  The cylinder is cast iron. The cylinder head is a number of small brass bits silver soldered together.  The water pump is a combination of brass and aluminium components silver soldered or JB Welded together as appropriate.  The gears in the pump drive are all shop made (yes, including the large crown gear).

It has been a challenging build of an interesting engine not often seen modelled ... now if I can only get it to run.  (Yes - I've pressure tested the valve seats  :) )
Charlie

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Fuller & Johnson Farm Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 01:02:46 AM »
Beautiful work Charlie!

I have all SIC magazines and have pondered this one in the past, did you find the drawings complete? I seem to remember that there were some missing items on the drawings, but it has been a number of years since I have looked those engine plans over.

Dave

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 11:14:20 AM »
Love your work Charlie - looks really good  :ThumbsUp:

Is it possible to try another Carburator - just to see if it will run ?

Per

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 02:34:44 PM »
Thanks Dave and Per.

Dave - As I recall the drawings are complete, i.e., all the components are detailed.  I did find quite a number of errors or omissions of detail.  The situation was further complicated by inconsistencies between the written article and the drawings.  For example the written word called out a 10mm spark plug ... for a head with two valves to fit on a 3/4" bore!  (The drawings call out 1/4".)  That is only one obvious example; there are many, more subtle discrepancies.  (Before anyone asks - no, I don't have a list of what I found.  I just dealt with things as they came up in review and construction.)

I'm guessing that the magazine editor received a set of sketches (pre-cad) and a collection of build notes from the designer from which to write an article and publish drawings.  The result was never "tested".  In spite of the issues, I still feel very grateful for all the effort everyone put into sharing this design with the modelling world.  Getting to this point has brought many hours of satisfying activity.

Per - A carburetor isn't really required on these engines (hit and miss; governor controlled).  A simple spray bar/venturi will suffice.  The original design is an interesting way to provide fuel at a restricted point with a 180' turn within the mixer body.  I do like your idea though.  Something like one of the Phil Duclos (Odds 'n' Ends) intakes would be easy to adapt for a trial. As it stands, the engine will draw fuel but haven't yet found the sweet spot.

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
I realized that I never did "wrap up" this thread.  A different and much simpler "carb" was made to ensure enough venturi action at the spray bar.  Between that and getting the timing set the engine runs!  After getting it to run I connected the pump arms and it actually pumped water too.  When pumping, there isn't must hit-n-miss action ... oh well.

https://youtube.com/shorts/vw8mBpfj_hE?si=khMjk4NWFL4SCwm0

All this happened earlier this year, before this guy showed up and disrupted my shop and posting activities (in a good way).

Charlie

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 03:42:20 PM »
That is running well, was the pump also in Strictly IC or just the engine?

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 04:58:48 PM »
Thanks Jason.
The pump was included with the engine drawings in SIC magazine.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 05:12:32 PM »
Is Strictly IC still around? I tried going to their website but got errors from it.   :headscratch:

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 07:12:54 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to have  a rummage through the mags and take a look at the pump

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 07:53:14 PM »
Sadly, I think that SIC is done.

Jason, the Fuller was in issues 20 through 25 (excepting 21).

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 08:00:07 PM »
Thanks

There was a comment on HMEM that Paul Knapp had stopped doing the back issues in 2021, may start again at some time.

Offline Kim Jeppesen

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 08:44:30 PM »
Beautiful build Charlie ‐ thanks for sharing!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 01:05:26 AM »
Thanks

There was a comment on HMEM that Paul Knapp had stopped doing the back issues in 2021, may start again at some time.

I don't recall that Paul Knap ever had anything to do with SIC magazine, maybe I'm mistaken but Bob Washburn was the editor and driving force behind SIC?
Did he take this over from Frances?

Dave

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2023, 07:10:45 AM »
His use of "we" suggests to me he may have had an involvement.

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/strictly-ic-back-issues.33634/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal