Author Topic: Crazy Gear Clock  (Read 2155 times)

Offline AlexS

Crazy Gear Clock
« on: December 02, 2022, 07:46:07 PM »
test

Offline AlexS

Re: Crazy Gear Clock
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 07:52:46 PM »
Let's make something!

I want to make a special gift for my grandfather. Something mechanical and type of art! I came with the idea to design and build a metal geared clock.
Chance is big that he wouldn't see the working clock alive. Maybe the project is to complicated. But I am also building this as a memento and to honor. I will probably pass it on to my grandmother. Most important is to still be together.

It is made from stainless steel 304/316 and brass gears. Powered by a stepper motor.

Here a couple of photo's. Last picture shows the ambiance of the project!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:56:06 PM by AlexS »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 08:09:44 PM »
Looks to be a fun (complicated) project  :)  :)  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 08:20:50 PM »
Thats a great looking design. How did you cut all those shapes in the faceplate? CNC?

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 08:28:52 PM »
Artistic Engineering - Love it and as Chris mentioned - interesting shape / design  :ThumbsUp:

Per        :cheers:            :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:06:02 AM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 11:31:45 PM »
What a fun project!  Make sure to keep us posted.

I've got a clock on my future project list!

Kim

Offline AlexS

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 02:56:06 PM »
Thanks guys!

Yes I really like to build this clock! All sheetmetal has been cut with a cnc laser (trumpf) at work. The parts were lasered very quickly. about 5 minutes for 2 and 3 mm thickness parts.

The biggest challenge now is to program everything neatly. RTC chip, stepperdriver, 2 relays (one for servo and one for solonoid. Servo to switch on and off ratchet wheel (act as a second indicator). And a solonoid push to the 12 hour ring every hour (and times based on time of day) .
Other thing is to automatically calibrate the clock. I have put in 2 roller switches. One on the 12 hour ring to indicate 12 hour. And one on the 1 hour ring to indicate every hour and to be able to calibrate 12 hours more precisely. Have put a hole in the 12 and 1 hour ring. See photo's red square.

Yesterday modified parts to connect gears to 1 hour ring. I had a bit of run out on my 3 chuck so the 16 teeth gear get stuck when turning, so need to do it over but then on the adjustable 4 claw chuck.it listens pretty well between play of the gears.

And have de-burred both hour rings, only need some bit of polishing!

Offline AlexS

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 08:20:00 PM »
Today I said goodbye to my grandfather when still living. He could probably hear us.

Machined various bronze / brass parts yesterday and Sunday. Spur gear is pressed into the bronze worm gear. Both parts clocked out in the 4-jaw chuck. H7 fit rotated in the worm gear. Fits like a glove. It is mounted with a dowel pin and sits with a nice clearance on the back plate.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 08:21:03 PM »
Kim,

What kind of future building a clock do you have in mind? Mechanical?

Alex

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 12:31:47 AM »
Yes, a mechanical clock.  Either a weight driven or a spring driven brass clock where you can see all the gears and workings. I've got a couple of possibilities, but since it's sever years away yet, I haven't really given too much thought on which one specifically.  :embarrassed:

Your clock is looking great, Alex!  A very nice tribute to your grandfather.

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 12:37:01 AM »
Yes, a mechanical clock.  Either a weight driven or a spring driven brass clock where you can see all the gears and workings. I've got a couple of possibilities, but since it's sever years away yet, I haven't really given too much thought on which one specifically.  :embarrassed:

Kim
Kim, if you get to where you are ready to do a clock, let me know, I have a stack of plans and books for making clock movements, have made several that are still ticking away merrily around the house. Have done both weight driven wall clocks and table clocks. These days the biggest issue is the cost of the brass sheet for the side plates and the gears, its a lot higher than when I made mine. Still, its a really fun project!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 12:55:43 AM »

Kim
Kim, if you get to where you are ready to do a clock, let me know, I have a stack of plans and books for making clock movements, have made several that are still ticking away merrily around the house. Have done both weight driven wall clocks and table clocks. These days the biggest issue is the cost of the brass sheet for the side plates and the gears, its a lot higher than when I made mine. Still, its a really fun project!
Cool!  As the time gets closer, I may take you up on that, Chris! Though I do have several good books that I have picked up over the years, I just don't remember what they are - it's been too long since I looked at them.  Seems like one's called the Congreive clock and uses a rolling ball as the time keeping mechanism, however, I've heard they are VERY hard to get balanced right and keep terrible time.  I've also got a set of wall clock and table clock plans from the same person (though I can't remember their name at the moment).

As for the brass - I did pick up a large brass sheet to use for the frame of the table clock through eBay about 10-12 years ago.  I still have it and it's earmarked for my 'future clock build' when I get around to it!  But I'll still have lots more brass to buy for it I'm sure!

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 01:20:44 AM »
If you spot bargains on the brass for clock gears, best choice is the C353 alloy, or may be under different numbers in different countries.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 07:37:25 AM »
Guys.....

Some 25 years ago, I found this at a Tobaccoinst/Gift Shop at Adelaide Airport.......two Size D cells power a quartz-controlled motor and the clock keeps perfect time for about 8 months, the cells then need replacing :killcomputer:

The gear train includes some 38 gears from 20 diameter to 180 diameter

I know the gears are plastic, however prior to retirement, over the years it has been a talking point for literally hundreds and hundreds of visitors to my work office

Derek 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 11:00:49 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline AlexS

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2022, 08:57:32 AM »
Thank you Kim.

When self building / designing you have have the opportunity to make it how you envision it yourself. For me this is also a project to learn to make a stepper driven mechanics (1 axis cnc (?)). It's more a machine that tells and show the time.

On a different dutch forum about cnc I also show this project, could ask about details of the stepper and driver related questions. There I got inspired to rotate a clock by a ratchet and solenoid. Or on youtube a ratchet wheel and servo push setup. Interesting to build a more simple version outside on a wall of in the garden.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 09:02:47 AM by AlexS »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal